Post a reply

Record centuries in a match

Postby Sickpotter

I was reading the review of the finals and noticed what I thought was a pretty unrealistic comparison of records.

Here's the quote from the article that made me wonder....

"Trump’s individual tally of seven tons equaled the record for any match, held by Stephen Hendry and Ding Junhui"

Seems to me that if you're going to compare the number of total tons in matches the matches should be of equal length no? :shrug: .

Hendry did it in a best of 19 so he had almost half the number of frames to make his 7 tons as Judd did.

I know WS likes to talk about the current standards being the highest ever but I don't think the comparison is valid.

Thoughts?

Re: Record centuries in a match

Postby OoNebsoO

Agreed, of course.

But to be fair, that quote is dealing with facts only, no actual comparison. Was there something more?

Anyway, Fergal is Century Break Undisputed Champion.

Postby vodkadiet1

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Yes it is an unfair comparison. Judd's achievement was amazing - Hendry's achievement was ridiculous in a match of that length

Added to that the conditions were much tougher in 1994 than they are today. At one stage in that UK final Hendry was leading Doherty only 6-5 and had made 6 centuries!

Postby Alex0paul

So winning a match in the Shootout with a century is the greatest display of breakbuilding?

Postby SteveJJ

Alex0paul wrote:So winning a match in the Shootout with a century is the greatest display of breakbuilding?

Theppy's century was pretty good but not that good.

Postby Wildey

What Judd did in that match was unbelievable but hes not really a safe pair of hands is he

The way he plays and the shots he attepts some of thoes Centuries on another day could have been a 35 miss black and spread the pack of reds all over the table for Higgins to make a ton.

With Hendry back then and Ronnie you could send out for Pitza because your not having another shot in that frame. of course with ronnie you might get indigestion scoffing it down quickly lol

Postby Andre147

Yeah its an unfair comparison. Hendry's 7 tons in a best of 19 is just inhuman... not that Ding's and and Trump's tally is less impressive, but one has to take into acount they had almost double the frames to do it.

Postby Andre147

But Wild is also right... some of Trump's centuries uncluded many risky shots... on another day he breaks down on 40 or 50 and Higgins makes one tradermark clearance.

Ronnie for instance almost never runs out of position, thats why his centuries are controlled and often dont include risky shots. Making breakbuilding easy is probably one of the hardest tasks possible.

Postby Wildey

But what makes Judd Trump unreliable is also what makes him Exciting in the Mould of Alex Higgins when Alex got inspired he could turn on a sixpence and pot anything and Judd is like that.

Postby Vallomas

SteveJJ wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:So winning a match in the Shootout with a century is the greatest display of breakbuilding?

Theppy's century was pretty good but not that good.

Where is SnookerFan to say that the Shoot-Out shouldn't be a ranking event?
Last edited by Vallomas on 08 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.