Post a reply

Sweepstake

Postby SnookerFan

How many times will Dennis Taylor mention golf on commentary this week?

Terms And Conditions

By commentary I also include punditry and any other time he's on screen talking even if not directly commentating on a match.

By golf, if he mentions a golf tournament or player by name, but doesn't use the word 'golf' that still counts as talking about it.

Any disputes will be settled by the person running the game. (Which is me.) Do not assume impartiality on my part.

I do not offer to be the one who counts up how many times he mentions golf, but will happily nominate somebody else if nobody volunteers.

Nearest guess wins. My guess is 1,347 times.

The host of this game (me) reserves the right to forget about this game, stop caring about this game and acknowledge that he was only posting this game as a joke.

There is no prize.

Please feel free to post your guesses.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 16 Apr 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Sweepstake

Postby mick745

Only slightly more times than any of the following:

"I haven't seen this fellow play before"
The 1985 Final
"the nicest lad you could ever wish to meet"
"that was just a little bit of tension"
or
Patsy Fagan

Postby SnookerFan

One session during the tournament, I'm going to do a Dennis Taylor drinking game. I'll take a shot every time he mentions golf, or something golf related. A shot when he mentions The Lovely Vikki. (And a second one if he does it when she isn't even present.) I'll take a shot when he mentions the 1985 final. And one shot for mentioning Patsy Fagan.

I expect to be paralytic by the third frame.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:One session during the tournament, I'm going to do a Dennis Taylor drinking game. I'll take a shot every time he mentions golf, or something golf related. A shot when he mentions The Lovely Vikki. (And a second one if he does it when she isn't even present.) I'll take a shot when he mentions the 1985 final. And one shot for mentioning Patsy Fagan.

I’m still hoping to set up BBC Commentary Bingo if I can be fussed.

Postby mick745

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:One session during the tournament, I'm going to do a Dennis Taylor drinking game. I'll take a shot every time he mentions golf, or something golf related. A shot when he mentions The Lovely Vikki. (And a second one if he does it when she isn't even present.) I'll take a shot when he mentions the 1985 final. And one shot for mentioning Patsy Fagan.

I’m still hoping to set up BBC Commentary Bingo if I can be fussed.

That would be great.

Does everybody know that Willie is absent again this year?

https://twitter.com/TheWillieThorne/sta ... 0332593156

"There's always a gap"

Postby SnookerFan

I had to log out of Twitter to read that. I'm officially blocked by Willie Thorne.

Not bothered about him not being there, if I'm honest.

I know people say there are worse commentators than him still on the BBC, but that doesn't make him good. Far too; "Waaah! They've played the wrong shot. Oh look, it turned out fine" for me.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:"Waaah! They've played the wrong shot. Oh look, it turned out fine"

rofl rofl that is perfect

Postby The_Abbott

"I would imagine you would have taken that shot on Stephen". Cue silence from Hendry.

Postby mick745

DT: "I think that ROS is the greatest of all time, don't you agree Stephen?"
SH: [silence]

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:DT: "I think that ROS is the greatest of all time, don't you agree Stephen?"

You could change that to;

DT: Literally anything.

Postby Iranu

Hendry blanking Dennis is one of my favourite things about BBC comms (low bar I know)

Postby The_Abbott

Not looking forward to Ebbo Commentating either.

"He will surely play for a colour after this red" Really?! Cos I didn't realise that was the rules Peter!

Also, Murphy to have a long run just so he doesn't end up in the commentary booth although preferably 1st round loss and off home.

Postby SnookerFan

Ebdon I liked when I first heard him, but he does go off a bit weird sometimes.

Last year he seemed to be commentating almost every session that I watched. Sometimes says interesting stuff, but then goes off on one talking about carrot juice or something.

And he was doing a session of one of the Ali Carter matches, and practically creamed his pants every time Ali Carter got in.

He's not the sort of person you'd want to get stuck with at a party. rofl

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:Ebdon I liked when I first heard him, but he does go off a bit weird sometimes.

Last year he seemed to be commentating almost every session that I watched. Sometimes says interesting stuff, but then goes off on one talking about carrot juice or something.

And he was doing a session of one of the Ali Carter matches, and practically creamed his pants every time Ali Carter got in.

Ebdon’s a nice enough fella and his fellow pros seem to quite like him

Postby carayip

SnookerFan wrote:Ebdon I liked when I first heard him, but he does go off a bit weird sometimes.

Banana smoothie

Postby Lemnas

I think there will be tons of Tiger Woods-ROS comparisons: Winning again after so many years, being the GOAT, chasing the record of majors won etc.

Postby SnookerFan

carayip wrote:

Banana smoothie

Oh, well whatever.

He's practically Alex Higgins. rofl

Postby Ck147

Tennis and Federer might be a bit easier to keep track of, I reckon 158 mentions. Is JV not returning? Seems to be back on other channels. If so, I predict 126,306 "where's the white ball going".

Postby SnookerFan

Ck147 wrote:Tennis and Federer might be a bit easier to keep track of, I reckon 158 mentions. Is JV not returning? Seems to be back on other channels. If so, I predict 126,306 "where's the white ball going".

I reckon zero "Where's the white ball going" mentions, but several "Where's the cueball going?" mentions.

Postby The_Abbott

Gary Wilson has qualified so Patsy Fagan references are guaranteed by Dennis and he has the same motion when down for a shot.

Postby Alex0paul

The_Abbott wrote:Gary Wilson has qualified so Patsy Fagan references are guaranteed by Dennis and he has the same motion when down for a shot.

Thought that was Graham Miles

Postby Ck147

SnookerFan wrote:
Ck147 wrote:Tennis and Federer might be a bit easier to keep track of, I reckon 158 mentions. Is JV not returning? Seems to be back on other channels. If so, I predict 126,306 "where's the white ball going".

I reckon zero "Where's the white ball going" mentions, but several "Where's the cueball going?" mentions.

I stand corrected! Duh, should stay off the white wine and then I might get the quotes right.

Postby Iranu

Ck147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I stand corrected! Duh, should stay off the white wine and then I might get the quotes right.

I think you mean the cue wine.

Postby vodkadiet

'He looks like he could be in a boy band'.

Ding Junhui is playing a white player and the camera pans to the audience where there are quite a few faces of Chinese descent and Taylor says "A lot of Ding fans in tonight".

Micro aggression.

Postby Ck147

Iranu wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I think you mean the cue wine.

JV: "WHERE'S THE CUE WINE GOING?"
Me: "In my mouth"