Post a reply

Leo Scullion to referee the 2019 World Final

Postby Vallomas

Leo Scullion will referee this year’s Betfred World Snooker Championship final for the first time, having successfully battled cancer.

Glasgow’s 60-year-old Scullion has been selected by World Snooker to take charge of the sport’s most important match at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield on May 5 and 6.

The Scot was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2014 and forced to take a break from his refereeing career while he underwent treatment, including two cycles of chemotherapy. Thankfully the cancer has now been in remission for nearly five years. Scullion was able to return to the tour in 2016.

Since then, he has been in charge of the final of his home event, the Scottish Open, on two occasions. He was also in the middle for Mark Williams’ 17-15 win over Barry Hawkins in the semi-finals at the Crucible last year.

“There were times when I wondered if I would even get back to refereeing, never mind at this kind of level,” said Scullion. “My wife Joyce and daughter Stephanie also went through a difficult time. They had some fantastic support from the snooker community and I will be eternally grateful for it.

“My health at the moment is very good. I still have go for check-ups. However, all being well at the end of October this year, the doctors will hopefully sign me off and tell me to go away and live the rest of my life.”

More on: http://www.worldsnooker.com/referee-scu ... rld-final/

Re: Leo Scullion to referee the 2019 World Final

Postby eraserhead

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Genuine question - why do people dislike him?

There seem to be a lot of people who are not keen but I can't recall him doing anything bad...

Dithers around and makes more mistakes than most refs.

Postby Dan-cat

eraserhead wrote:

There seem to be a lot of people who are not keen but I can't recall him doing anything bad...

Dithers around and makes more mistakes than most refs.

Does he actually make more mistakes?

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:So there we have, Scullion to ref the World Final...

TR's prediction here finally happening! Wonder how he's feeling...

Cant really believe it mate. I thought no one of the decision-makers or whoever they are can be that stupid. But apparently they are. One of the worst refs or probably the worst ref will be refereeing the World final.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

TheRocket wrote:
Andre147 wrote:So there we have, Scullion to ref the World Final...

TR's prediction here finally happening! Wonder how he's feeling...

Cant really believe it mate. I thought no one of the decision-makers or whoever they are can be that stupid. But apparently they are. One of the worst refs or probably the worst ref will be refereeing the World final.

But are the snooker fans also that stupid and blind? I read some twitter comments and most are happy for him and call him one of the best refs. where does that come from?

Postby TheRocket

Maybe sentimentality? I mean Scullion had to go through a lot off the Snooker table. And he's probably a good guy . I have nothing against him as a person either but he's just a very poor ref.

Just very slow , poor in replacing the balls. And error-prone like Iranu said. I mean its for everyone to see. He should never be in a position to referee a World final.

Postby Holden Chinaski

In my opinion, Scullion is a slow ref, which is bad for players who like to play fast, and it seems to me he makes more mistakes than other refs. He's definitely not the best ref out there, and only the best should do the world final.

Postby Wildey

Nothing bad i remember Michaela having nightmare matches at times but leo does some strange things i dont believe his consentration is what it should be if im honest.

Yesterday he called a Foul, Miss and a Freeball well you could hit the red with a Bus it was nowhere near.

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:Whilst his opinion is neither here nor there, is Leo one of the referees that Ronnie constantly whinges about?

I can't imagine Ronnie being happy with a ref who is slow to replace the colors and who can't see very well...

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Whilst his opinion is neither here nor there, is Leo one of the referees that Ronnie constantly whinges about?

yup

Postby Wildey

D4P wrote:I wouldn't be too surprised if Hearn chose Scullion primarily as a way to troll Ronnie for all of his recent comments on Ranking Points, pigsties, etc.

well if ronnie trolls he has to expect retaliation.

Postby D4P

Wildey wrote:
D4P wrote:I wouldn't be too surprised if Hearn chose Scullion primarily as a way to troll Ronnie for all of his recent comments on Ranking Points, pigsties, etc.

well if ronnie trolls he has to expect retaliation.

Yes, I think Ronnie knows full well that Barry Hearn will not sit idly by and allow himself to be taunted. I just read that World Snooker will be sending Ronnie a letter regarding his Gibraltar comments, which probably won't be a surprise to Ronnie...