Post a reply

Re: Coral Tour Championship Quarter Finals !!

Postby Dan-cat

Wildey wrote:I Honetly think all selby needs is to loose the top spot in the rankings it means so much to him he has been defending it and looking over his shoulder really bad atitude but most are guilty of it

This is a good point... like when he goes 4-1 down in a best of 9 he suddenly starts playing like the WN1!

Postby Iranu

Koninkaulus wrote:
Iranu wrote:Well, that and the fact that he's more popular than Selby as you allude to.

He might be, but not by much. I think Selby's a lot more popular than those who dislike him often claim. He's got way more followers than Williams on Twitter, for example.

I agree Selby has more fans than his detractors claim.

But he also has a lot more detractors than MJW.

I don't use Twiitter so I wasn't aware he had more followers.

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:Things seem abit tense here on Snooker Island today. You can cut the atmosphere with a knife.

Ever since Ash got banned this place is falling apart!

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Things seem abit tense here on Snooker Island today. You can cut the atmosphere with a knife.

I miss him. I hope Wild has a change of heart and allows him to come back for the WC.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
You're lucky Dan is a nice guy. Had u said that to Wildey, u'd have been banned a long time, maybe forever. <laugh>

I really thought he was talking about himself!

I did, until everyone got the hump.

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:

I miss him. I hope Wild has a change of heart and allows him to come back for the WC.

Not Going to happen best he can hope for back for Q School

Postby Koninkaulus

Iranu wrote:
Koninkaulus wrote:
Iranu wrote:Well, that and the fact that he's more popular than Selby as you allude to.

He might be, but not by much. I think Selby's a lot more popular than those who dislike him often claim. He's got way more followers than Williams on Twitter, for example.

I rarely use it myself. I only mentioned Twitter followers because I was talking about what people say on social media in the first place. It's also noticeable that Williams is a LOT more active on there than Selby. It must be said that Williams also talks 99% utter garbage there, often rude and barely intelligible, so he's not exactly trying to gain followers.

I agree about the detractors bit, but I don't believe a sportsperson's popularity is a simple math exercise of "likes minus dislikes". If it were, people like Cristiano Ronaldo or Rafael Nadal might be at zero, and I don't think anyone can say they're not popular.
Last edited by Koninkaulus on 18 Mar 2019, edited 4 times in total.

Postby Wildey

Koninkaulus wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Koninkaulus wrote:

I barely use it myself. I only mentioned Twitter followers because I was talking about what people say on social media in the first place. It's also noticeable that Williams is a LOT more active on there than Selby. It should be noted that he also talks 99% utter garbage there, often rude and barely intelligible, so he's not exactly trying to gain followers.

I agree about the detractors bit, but I don't believe a sportsperson's popularity is a simple math exercise of "likes minus dislikes". If it were, people like Cristiano Ronaldo or Rafael Nadal might be at zero, and I don't think anyone can say they're not popular.

He has got more Twitter followers than Jimmy White too.

Postby D4P

Koninkaulus wrote:I agree about the detractors bit, but I don't believe a sportsperson's popularity is a simple math exercise of "likes minus dislikes".

In today's world, success in the public eye seems to be determined by "likes plus dislikes"

Postby Dan-cat

D4P wrote:
Koninkaulus wrote:I agree about the detractors bit, but I don't believe a sportsperson's popularity is a simple math exercise of "likes minus dislikes".

In today's world, success in the public eye seems to be determined by "likes plus dislikes"

Dislikes don't count. If you are liked by many, you are successful

Postby D4P

Dan-cat wrote:The moment Robbo told Ronnie he'd just given him £5k!

It was a nice moment, and one that showed one of Ronnie's better "sides": He was more than happy to share a laugh (at his own expense) with a player he respects, even if it cost him £5,000

Postby Iranu

Koninkaulus wrote:
I rarely use it myself. I only mentioned Twitter followers because I was talking about what people say on social media in the first place. It's also noticeable that Williams is a LOT more active on there than Selby. It must be said that Williams also talks 99% utter garbage there, often rude and barely intelligible, so he's not exactly trying to gain followers.

Probably a poor choice of words on my part. My point was that there are probably a lot more people out there who are inclined to query Selby's involvement than MJW's.

I do think "likes vs dislikes" is a valid measure of popularity, though obviously not the only one.

I'd say Messi and Federer are more popular than Ronaldo and Nadal respectively as evidenced partly by the fact that far fewer people actively dislike them.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:I am the most insightful and best-informed poster on Snooker Island. Snooker, politics, religion, health, environment, I've got it all.

What's your opinion on Selby's number 1 ranking status?

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I am the most insightful and best-informed poster on Snooker Island. Snooker, politics, religion, health, environment, I've got it all.

What's your opinion on Selby's number 1 ranking status?

Don't give a rubbish. The rankings don't lie.

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:

Classic Irish sarcasm.

Classic Irish idiocy, more like.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Classic Irish sarcasm.

Classic Irish idiocy, more like.

Mate, what the buck is your problem with the Irish? Let's go outside a minute.