Post a reply

Re: Coral Players Championship Final !!

Postby D4P

Now that Ronnie has made his 1,000th century, we can move on from the question of "When will Ronnie make his 1,000th century" and focus on the question that really matters:

When will Ronnie make his 1,001st century?

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Well, an 8 man field has Ronnie’s name all over it and good long match practice for the Crucible... but if he did it pressure would be at fever pitch for the big one.

Yeah but he should be used to it.He's always been the favourite and top contender to win the World Championship. Or lets say since 2000 or 2001 probably. So its not really something new for him.

Hopefully we'll see a ROS in topform at the Crucible. His recent record has been quite disappointing. Feels like ages since we've seen him at the one table stage.

Don't think he always favourite. I think in 2010 and 2011 he definately wasn't favourite.

Postby Andre147

2 Quarter-Finals since 2014, and 2 Last 16 rounds is disappointing for a player of his calibre.

Hopefully he'll put that right this year. MJW is defending champ, and we know how that pattern turns out...

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:I'd rather MJW won his 4th than Ronnie won his 6th.

And I can't figure out why. :chin:

What?

Hell no!. I was happy to see MJW win his 3rd, showed us patches of prime MJW. But between him and ROS, ROS all day long.

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:

What?

Hell no!. I was happy to see MJW win his 3rd, showed us patches of prime MJW. But between him and ROS, ROS all day long.

I know! I don't get it either!

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

What?

I know! I don't get it either!

You must be drunk.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:I've watched the final frame 3 times now, the 1000 ton. The comms between Hendry and Clive is utterly sublime and how magical it is that it was those two legends commentating on that moment.

<ok> Clive is great! He sounds so excited!

Postby Erza Scarlet

For Ronnie to win the WC he needs to win the first session. This is how he won his World Championships and then he could afford to share the frames at worst from the sessions after, or just outright steamroll and gain an even bigger lead.

Ronnie's not the comeback kid like Selby, Ronnie's bread and butter is getting off to a flying start. Something he hasn't been able to do since 2014 at the WC.

2015 - vs Bingham - he lost the first session 5-3.
2016 - vs Hawkins - he lost the first session 5-3
2018- vs Maguire and Carter - he lost both of the first sessions 5-3

What we saw vs Neil in the first session at 7-2, that's the type of focus he needs to put in the first session. Everything else will take care of itself then.

Postby Andre147

Erza Scarlet wrote:For Ronnie to win the WC he needs to win the first session. This is how he won his World Championships and then he could afford to share the frames at worst from the sessions after, or just outright steamroll and gain an even bigger lead.

Ronnie's not the comeback kid like Selby, Ronnie's bread and butter is getting off to a flying start. Something he hasn't been able to do since 2014 at the WC.

2015 - vs Bingham - he lost the first session 5-3.
2016 - vs Hawkins - he lost the first session 5-3
2018- vs Maguire and Carter - he lost both of the first sessions 5-3

What we saw vs Neil in the first session at 7-2, that's the type of focus he needs to put in the first session. Everything else will take care of itself then.

Not necessarly.

He lost the first session against Neil 5-3 in 2012 and still won the match.

I do agree though that he's more likely to manage things when in front, and when you are coming from behind it takes more mental effort.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Dan-cat wrote:Watching the whole match again.

'So it's a pound to a gooseberry that Ronnie will clinch the opening frame' Clive (the GOAT of comms)

It's awesome Clive got to witness it.

This 1000th century's made headlines and got the attention of quiet a few famous people. Stephen Fry, a huge Ronnie fan being the most prominent one, he made a video about it. Gary Lineker and a few others too sending their congratulations on Twitter.

Pretty great coverage for Snooker.

Postby eraserhead

Erza Scarlet wrote:This 1000th century's made headlines and got the attention of quiet a few famous people. Stephen Fry, a huge Ronnie fan being the most prominent one, he made a video about it. Gary Lineker and a few others too sending their congratulations on Twitter.

Postby SnookerFan

eraserhead wrote:
Erza Scarlet wrote:This 1000th century's made headlines and got the attention of quiet a few famous people. Stephen Fry, a huge Ronnie fan being the most prominent one, he made a video about it. Gary Lineker and a few others too sending their congratulations on Twitter.

rofl

Postby The_Abbott

Dan-cat wrote:Willie was a regular in the top 15 of the World Rankings for over a decade and is the World Record holder for hitting 190 maximum 147 breaks, earning him the nickname of ‘Mr Maximum’.

Really?!

yeah but that was in practice with Jimmy.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Willie was a regular in the top 15 of the World Rankings for over a decade and is the World Record holder for hitting 190 maximum 147 breaks, earning him the nickname of ‘Mr Maximum’.

Really?!

Yeah. They called him Mr. Maximum, because he made a load of them in practice.

That's the difference between the 1980s and today. Nobody would care nowadays how many maximums you made in practice, it's just assumed all the players on tour can do it in practice.

In the 1980s it was a rare feat. Only 8 were ever made in professional competition. There's more than that a season now.

Postby SnookerFan

The_Abbott wrote:

Really?!

yeah but that was in practice with Jimmy.

Jimmy flys in practice, I'll have you know. :grrr:

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:That's the difference between the 1980s and today. Nobody would care nowadays how many maximums you made in practice, it's just assumed all the players on tour can do it in practice.

Someone asked Hendy recently how often he made them in practice back during his prime, and he said he probably made one once per week.