Post a reply

Re: Coral Players Championship Semi Finals !!

Postby Dan-cat

Pink Ball wrote:The standard today is comfortably better than the standard of the '80s, and a good bit ahead of the '90s as well.

But I don't think the gap on either front is as yawning as a lot of younger followers seem to believe. I think they underrate two things: just how much better the conditions are nowadays from then; and they also underrate the style of play of the '80s. People always think constant big breaks trump good safety and tactical play. Not necessarily.

Mark Selby has arguably been the best player of this decade, and he's the closest thing I've seen to an '80s players since the '80s! Yes, he can also make a lot of big breaks, I hear you say. Well, so could Steve Davis. Davis made a lot of centuries and there were much fewer tournaments and much tougher conditions. I believe he was better than Selby.

+1

Peak Davis was a machine.

Postby Wildey

Dan-cat wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:The standard today is comfortably better than the standard of the '80s, and a good bit ahead of the '90s as well.

But I don't think the gap on either front is as yawning as a lot of younger followers seem to believe. I think they underrate two things: just how much better the conditions are nowadays from then; and they also underrate the style of play of the '80s. People always think constant big breaks trump good safety and tactical play. Not necessarily.

Mark Selby has arguably been the best player of this decade, and he's the closest thing I've seen to an '80s players since the '80s! Yes, he can also make a lot of big breaks, I hear you say. Well, so could Steve Davis. Davis made a lot of centuries and there were much fewer tournaments and much tougher conditions. I believe he was better than Selby.

+1

Peak Davis was a machine.

i think its important for the younger people to understand Steve Davis was a throwback to the likes of Ray Reardon and had he come out playing the way Judd plays he wouldnt have won the World Title in 1981 in a million years the players back then would have tied him up in knots.

Take Stephen Hendry one of the Greatest players of any generation far better player than Cliff Thorburn even then in terms of potting and breakbuilding without being disrespectfull but in 1986 Cliff beat Stephen 9-1 in a semi final.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Wildey wrote:i think its important for the younger people to understand Steve Davis was a throwback to the likes of Ray Reardon and had he come out playing the way Judd plays he wouldnt have won the World Title in 1981 in a million years the players back then would have tied him up in knots.

Of course he wouldn't have won it, Steve Davis can't pot the way Judd does. :stupid:
Put Judd in that era and he'd demolish everybody.

Wildey wrote:Take Stephen Hendry one of the Greatest players of any generation far better player than Cliff Thorburn even then in terms of potting and breakbuilding without being disrespectfull but in 1986 Cliff beat Stephen 9-1 in a semi final.

Hendry was just a teenager back then. <doh>
Prime Hendry would annihilate prime Thorburn.

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Wildey wrote:i think its important for the younger people to understand Steve Davis was a throwback to the likes of Ray Reardon and had he come out playing the way Judd plays he wouldnt have won the World Title in 1981 in a million years the players back then would have tied him up in knots.

Of course he wouldn't have won it, Steve Davis can't pot the way Judd does. :stupid:

Wildey wrote:Take Stephen Hendry one of the Greatest players of any generation far better player than Cliff Thorburn even then in terms of potting and breakbuilding without being disrespectfull but in 1986 Cliff beat Stephen 9-1 in a semi final.

If you think Judd Trump would have destroyed everyone in the ‘80s, you haven’t a notion about ‘80s snooker.

Postby Ash147

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Image

WTF is that ? :hmmm: :shock: :shock: :shock: <doh>
Is Robbo gay ? :dizzy:

He's bisexual. I thought that was common knowledge? :shrug:

First ive heard of it therefore you either retract that statement Snooker Island will not be seen as starting unfounded Roumours or your banned and a bit pointless posting predictions to you.

Rumour has it you're a flower.

Postby Wildey

Pink Ball wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

If you think Judd Trump would have destroyed everyone in the ‘80s, you haven’t a notion about ‘80s snooker.

Totally Clueless about the sport period mate.

Postby Wildey

Ash147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Image

WTF is that ? :hmmm: :shock: :shock: :shock: <doh>
Is Robbo gay ? :dizzy:

He's bisexual. I thought that was common knowledge? :shrug:

First ive heard of it therefore you either retract that statement Snooker Island will not be seen as starting unfounded Roumours or your banned and a bit pointless posting predictions to you.

Rumour has it you're a flower.

Roumer has it your on borrowed time on this website now rein it in or you really are close to post your last ever post on here.

Postby vodkadiet

Wildey

You don't ban people for homophobia, yet you ban people for insignificant banter.

Homophobia is just as bad as racism or speciesism.

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:Wildey

You don't ban people for homophobia, yet you ban people for insignificant banter.

There is no such thing as 'speciesism' ffs. <doh>

Postby vodkadiet

Cloud Strife wrote:

Look it up you illiterate!

I will make it easy for you. It is exactly as I spelled it.

Postby vodkadiet

Ash147 wrote:Homophobia is non existent, as far as I’ve seen. I’ve never met anyone who’s irrationally afraid of a gay person.

That is because you are 'The son of a thousand fathers.'

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Nope, it's a term made up by the mentally deluded, like yourself. Most right-minded people couldn't care less.

Postby vodkadiet

Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Nope, it's a term made up by the mentally deluded, like yourself. Most right-minded people couldn't care less.

I will agree on one thing. Most people will agree. And that is because the human race is, by and large, garbage. And that is why I am very happy that all people die, and the human race will cease to exist in a few thousand years at the very latest.

I hope you are very scared on your death bed. It is what you deserve.

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Speciesism is evident throughout the world and throughout human history.

Postby vodkadiet

Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

At least Iranu understands there are other beings who live among us who want to be left to live the lives they should without being interfered with because a human doesn't know the difference between food and violence.

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

I will agree on one thing. Most people will agree. And that is because the human race is, by and large, garbage. And that is why I am very happy that all people die, and the human race will cease to exist in a few thousand years at the very latest.

Wrong. With the phenomenal advances medical science has brought us in the last few decades, we are living longer and healthier lives than ever before. By the 2050s it is thought by many scientists that we'll find a way to live indefinitely.

So yeah, I will see you in the year 3019!

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:There is no such thing as 'speciesism' ffs. <doh>

At least Iranu understands there are other beings who live among us who want to be left to live the lives they should without being interfered with because a human doesn't know the difference between food and violence.

I agree with this in principle, except when it comes to food. There is not a species on this planet that isn't interfering with another for its own benefit. Humans really are no different in that regard.

Postby vodkadiet

Homophobia is just as bad as racism or speciesism.[/quote]

There is no such thing as 'speciesism' ffs. <doh>[/quote]

I will make it easy for you. It is exactly as I spelled it.[/quote]

Nope, it's a term made up by the mentally deluded, like yourself. Most right-minded people couldn't care less.[/quote]

I hope you are very scared on your death bed. It is what you deserve.[/quote]

Wrong. With the phenomenal advances medical science has brought us in the last few decades, we are living longer and healthier lives than ever before. By the 2050s it is thought by many scientists that we'll find a way to live indefinitely.

So yeah, I will see you in the year 3019![/quote]

I was referring to asteroids.....No one will be here....

Postby Iranu

Speciesism isn't just about thinking humans are more important than other animals, it's also about believing some animals are worth more than others.

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:Homophobia is just as bad as racism or speciesism

So yeah, I will see you in the year 3019!

I was referring to asteroids.....No one will be here....

That's right. Because we'll be all on Mars by then...or some other planet. See you there. :hatoff:

Postby vodkadiet

Iranu wrote:Speciesism isn't just about thinking humans are more important than other animals, it's also about believing some animals are worth more than others.

Hypocrisy is what it is. People protest against cats and dogs being killed in China yet any level of torture against any other living creature is acceptable if it involves eating a lunch.

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Surely you are a specieist if you choose to eat plants instead of animals :shrug:

Plants are pin ends.

Sometimes literally.