Post a reply

Re: Coral Players Championship Semi Finals !!

Postby HustleKing

SnookerFan wrote:The Programme is comparing Ronnie's 1000th century to Pele's 1000th goal and some cricketer I've never heard of's 10,0000 test run. Snooker really has an inferiority to other sports.

Not a fair comparison either, given scoring hat tricks can often be easier than making centuries, especially in the Brazilian league :roll:

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerFan wrote:The Programme is comparing Ronnie's 1000th century to Pele's 1000th goal and some cricketer I've never heard of's 10,0000 test run. Snooker really has an inferiority to other sports.

Nice article/interview with Ian McCulloch though.

Postby eraserhead

Andre147 wrote:TR has mentioned it alteady, Robbo never won a multi-session match against Ronnie but I think he's now playing well enough to do it.

Seems back to his best. I think it will be a close match, but in the end Ronnie may have a bit too much for him.

Only thing I’d say is that Robbo’s recent final performances haven’t been great. I don’t think he could bear it if he lost and Ronnie did his Aussie accent to the crowd.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:Why is Ronnie pretending to be Australian?

He says the way Aussies talk are positive, and the way Brits talk is a loser...

Go figure...

Postby TheRocket

eraserhead wrote:
Andre147 wrote:TR has mentioned it alteady, Robbo never won a multi-session match against Ronnie but I think he's now playing well enough to do it.

Seems back to his best. I think it will be a close match, but in the end Ronnie may have a bit too much for him.

Only thing I’d say is that Robbo’s recent final performances haven’t been great. I don’t think he could bear it if he lost and Ronnie did his Aussie accent to the crowd.

Indeed. That would be some brutal humiliation for Robbo if Ronnie should win the final and did his Aussie accent in the interview.

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:
eraserhead wrote:

Indeed. That would be some brutal humiliation for Robbo if Ronnie should win the final and did his Aussie accent in the interview.

have to be honest dont get why?

losing is losing if ronnie speaks English, Aussie or his usual language Gobbledy-Gook.

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:

Nice article/interview with Ian McCulloch though.

Aye. Was there at the Grand Prix in 2004 when he played very well to get to the final only to lose well to O’Sullivan

Postby vodkadiet

Steve Davis can go on 'ad infinitum' about the standard being 'greater than ever.'

This week's garbage should tell you a lot......

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Why is Ronnie pretending to be Australian?

He says the way Aussies talk are positive, and the way Brits talk is a loser...

Go figure...

Well, that's certainly given us much to consider.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
eraserhead wrote:

losing is losing if ronnie speaks English, Aussie or his usual language Gobbledy-Gook.

I don't get it. Why's he doing it? Why do we even care?

Postby Johnny Bravo

vodkadiet wrote:Steve Davis can go on 'ad infinitum' about the standard being 'greater than ever.'

Almost all the players that competed in this event with mop the floor with the players from Davis's era. Davis and Jimmy would be the only ones that stand a small chance.
So yea, Davis is right.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
eraserhead wrote:

I don't get it. Why's he doing it? Why do we even care?

Some of his fans actually think its the bees knees.

Postby SnookerFan

boris_the_butcher wrote:what happened to Allen? Did he crumble under the pressure of the presence of King Ronald the 1st of Chigwell, Essex?

He's been a bit off lately. It weren't that long ago he was borderline nervous breakdown.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:Some of his fans actually think its the bees knees.

He is, on a snooker table. And that's the only thing I care about. He is after all a snooker player. Who cares what he has to say? I don't watch snooker to hear some interesting speeches or anything.

Postby Pink Ball

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Wildey wrote:Some of his fans actually think its the bees knees.

He is, on a snooker table. And that's the only thing I care about. He is after all a snooker player. Who cares what he has to say? I don't watch snooker to hear some interesting speeches or anything.

Please tell Shaun Murphy

Postby HustleKing

SnookerFan wrote:Why is Gemma Collins a thing?

Because there's an audience stupid enough to give her oxygen (I didn't mean that in a physical sense)

Postby vodkadiet

Johnny Bravo wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Steve Davis can go on 'ad infinitum' about the standard being 'greater than ever.'

Almost all the players that competed in this event with mop the floor with the players from Davis's era. Davis and Jimmy would be the only ones that stand a small chance.
So yea, Davis is right.

Quite the reverse. Players had more steel years ago. O'Sullivan would admit himself that players today are the worst ever.

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

So yea, Davis is right.

Quite the reverse. Players had more steel years ago. O'Sullivan would admit himself that players today are the worst ever.

Yea its not how great a player you are its about making it difficult for players to perform.

Stephen Hendry changed players mindset in the 90s and thats where we at now players are too attacking for their talent and they open the floodgates.

Back in the day it was about keeping it tight no thought of smashing the pack open all over the shop

I Was looking at head to heads today from back in the 80s and when you consider the fact Jimmy White stil a top 8 player in 2006 Eddie Charlton who turned Pro before Jimmy White was even born has a better head to head against Jimmy White v Charlton and Tony Meo who is long gone as a player beat Jimmy 11-10 in head to heads having made about 50 centuries in a 18 year career.

Postby Pink Ball

The standard today is comfortably better than the standard of the '80s, and a good bit ahead of the '90s as well.

But I don't think the gap on either front is as yawning as a lot of younger followers seem to believe. I think they underrate two things: just how much better the conditions are nowadays from then; and they also underrate the style of play of the '80s. People always think constant big breaks trump good safety and tactical play. Not necessarily.

Mark Selby has arguably been the best player of this decade, and he's the closest thing I've seen to an '80s players since the '80s! Yes, he can also make a lot of big breaks, I hear you say. Well, so could Steve Davis. Davis made a lot of centuries and there were much fewer tournaments and much tougher conditions. I believe he was better than Selby.

Postby vodkadiet

The standard tonight epitomised the high standard of snooker in this current era. Mark Allen produced a standard of snooker that Marc Almond would have been proud of...

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:The standard today is comfortably better than the standard of the '80s, and a good bit ahead of the '90s as well.

But I don't think the gap on either front is as yawning as a lot of younger followers seem to believe. I think they underrate two things: just how much better the conditions are nowadays from then; and they also underrate the style of play of the '80s. People always think constant big breaks trump good safety and tactical play. Not necessarily.

Mark Selby has arguably been the best player of this decade, and he's the closest thing I've seen to an '80s players since the '80s! Yes, he can also make a lot of big breaks, I hear you say. Well, so could Steve Davis. Davis made a lot of centuries and there were much fewer tournaments and much tougher conditions. I believe he was better than Selby.

:goodpost: