Post a reply

Re: Coral Players Championship Quarter Finals !!

Postby Iranu

Yeah totally agree about Hendon Wild.

Studd's a recent addition to Eurosport, right? Hopefully he'll improve as he does more because currently he sounds like a football commentator which isn't a good thing.

Postby Wildey

If Jack wins tonight he has booked his spot at the Crucible and will avoid the qualifiers which is dog eat dog.

Postby Andre147

You dont have to have played to any sort of standard to understand the game and how hard it is..

However, Studd is a shitty commentator no doubt about it.

Phil Yates for instance might be very annoying but you can see he understands the game, and I bet he hasnt played much in his life.

Postby Andre147

Jack is one of those players I would not be surprised to see lose from 5-1 in front.

Judd once recovered from that deficit... against Martin Gould at WGP.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Andre147 wrote:Jack is one of those players I would not be surprised to see lose from 5-1 in front.

Judd once recovered from that deficit... against Martin Gould at WGP.

I know what you mean but it would need Jack to crumble badly. He has looked solid under pressure so far.

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:You dont have to have played to any sort of standard to understand the game and how hard it is..

However, Studd is a shitty commentator no doubt about it.

Phil Yates for instance might be very annoying but you can see he understands the game, and I bet he hasnt played much in his life.

I think Yates actually plays a lot, or used to, on the amateur/local league scene.

He's spoken before about playing top players when they were young.

Postby TheRocket

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Snooker is unusual though. I think it is very hard to commentate well if you do not understand some of the intricacies of the game. Not impossible but more difficult than in other sports where a good historical knowledge can be sufficient.

Yes but I'd guess no one in this forum is a professional Snooker player but all of us could more or less predict the next shot of a snooker pro. Or if a player has a good angle to keep the break going or not.

Not sure if Studd does know. But he gets paid for it. I mean ok when Foulds is sitting next to you and commentating its not easy sometimes and you dont wanna embarrass yourself saying wrong things but given Studd has been a Snooker commentator for a long time you'd expect more knowledge from him.

I think I've seen him commentating in a Championship league match once. And as you know there's only one commentator so he was on his own. And to be fair. It was barely any better.

Postby Wildey

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Snooker is unusual though. I think it is very hard to commentate well if you do not understand some of the intricacies of the game. Not impossible but more difficult than in other sports where a good historical knowledge can be sufficient.

Not blowing my own Trumpet i know all the shots in the game ive failed to execute them countless times

Postby 151kbar151

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
151kbar151 wrote:Wasn't Ben Williams refereeing the match before? Now there's Camilleri. What happened?

He was taken unwell.

TBH I don't remember when there was referee switch during the televised match last time before.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

151kbar151 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
151kbar151 wrote:Wasn't Ben Williams refereeing the match before? Now there's Camilleri. What happened?

He was taken unwell.

TBH I don't remember when there was referee switch during the televised match last time before.

No I have never seen it before.

Hope he is OK

Postby Iranu

Very eclectic mix of snooker idols you have there :hatoff: