Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Snooker Shoot out !!

Postby Andre147

D4P wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Ronnie on comms for this, a redeeming factor.

Might as well play it if he’s there commentating

He enjoys himself more by commentating than by playing. Hopefully he'll shift back into "winning mode" for the Crucible, but for now he seems content enough with his 3 early victories this season to take it easy and not put much pressure on himself by trying to win trophies...

As long as he wins the title at The Crucible, he can do all the punditry he likes.

Postby Ck147

Any one know what time the Jimmy vs Parker frame is roughly due to start? I'll be working :( but want to try to sneak off to watch it.

I generally enjoy the shootout, good bit of fun and a nice change from the usual formats.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ck147 wrote:Any one know what time the Jimmy vs Parker frame is roughly due to start? I'll be working :( but want to try to sneak off to watch it.

I generally enjoy the shootout, good bit of fun and a nice change from the usual formats.

Jimmy White is scheduled to play Reanne Evans at 21.30

Postby Ck147

Thanks BSP, I meant Evans, I was reading an article about Parker and the name stuck in my head.

Another question, when is Parker playing?

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:
D4P wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Ronnie on comms for this, a redeeming factor.

Might as well play it if he’s there commentating

He enjoys himself more by commentating than by playing. Hopefully he'll shift back into "winning mode" for the Crucible, but for now he seems content enough with his 3 early victories this season to take it easy and not put much pressure on himself by trying to win trophies...

As long as he wins the title at The Crucible, he can do all the punditry he likes.

Maybe he can commentate on himself winning the World title this year at the Crucible. Now that would be quite something.

Postby Ck147

Thanks, all good times for a couple of beers!

Postby Deewee

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Zhao Xintong and Joe O'Connor is due at 2.20 tomorrow. I'll be home but have to leave at 2.40 so I hope there isn't too much of a hold up.

The matches are scheduled with 10 minute intervals but usually take 15 minutes at least so don't get your hopes up

Postby SnookerFan

Though I'm not a big fan of the Shootout, and think the decision to make it a ranking event is the worst decision in the history of sport, it is good to see these ladies getting their names out there. I'd love to see either/both of them compete in a proper ranking event one day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/47307644

:hatoff:

Postby mantorok

Being a ranking event is a bit much, but that aside it's a good bit of fun and someone can make a bit of money out of it.

Harmless fun and it's an atmosphere unlike any other tournament, the players don't seem to be complaining.

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:Being a ranking event is a bit much, but that aside it's a good bit of fun and someone can make a bit of money out of it.

Harmless fun and it's an atmosphere unlike any other tournament, the players don't seem to be complaining.

I explain this every year, so I'm probably boring people.

But my problem with this event is it's ranking status, full stop.

Before, it was an event that could be watched and ignored due to personal taste.

I was never much of a fan, but it's existence doesn't bother me.

I do however have a huge problem with the fact that it it's a ranking event. It'd be like World Snooker's annual golf day affecting players rank.

If they made it invitational again, I'd have no complaint.

Postby mantorok

I'm sure this event is great to watch when you are at the venue, but watching it on the TV is pretty dull, there's just not enough to get embroiled in it.

Postby gallantrabbit

Bit of a joke it being a ranker. Even though it is there have been a lot of refusals so not really helping on that score. Maybe Bingham is only in it because of the points for the top 8. I think it's a good idea though and the only time when a shot clock should be used.

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:Bit of a joke it being a ranker. Even though it is there have been a lot of refusals so not really helping on that score. Maybe Bingham is only in it because of the points for the top 8. I think it's a good idea though and the only time when a shot clock should be used.

I should probably stop going on about it really.

There are benefits to it's existence. Earning opportunity for lower ranked players, gets publicity and snookers name in the media. (And the two female players entering haven't hurt that.)

We all agree that it shouldn't be a ranking event. And everybody knows how much I despise that decision. But I'm one person, nobody cares what I think. I don't mean to spoil anybody's fun, with the people who do still enjoy this. So I'm sorry for people who are bored by my ramblings.

I just find the fact that it affects players ranking such an error of judgement, I can't even turn it on any more. I won't be able to even try to watch it and enjoy it until that decision is reversed.

But I guess that's my problem, not anybody elses. I'm sorry if my ramblings offend or bore anyone. (I mean, more than usual.)

Postby D4P

Two important things about the Shoot out:

1. Neither player ever feels like they have a chance to win, because their opponent is never 2 or more frames away from victory

2. The instant you feel settled in the match by winning a frame, you've already won the match

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:I get you Snooker fan but I think there's little chance of a reverse. BH admit he was wrong? Forget it. One of his few failings.

Oh yeah. I'm with you, it won't change anything.

And even if he was the sort, he's not going to change his mind because of one old hammer posting about it on a snooker forum, is he?

Just what little enjoyment I could take from this tournament is now gone, until the unlikely event that this decision is reversed.

Luckily I am busy tomorrow and the weekend. So probably won't be on that much whining as usual. rofl

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:Two important things about the Shoot out:

1. Neither player ever feels like they have a chance to win, because their opponent is never 2 or more frames away from victory

2. The instant you feel settled in the match by winning a frame, you've already won the match

rofl