Post a reply

ManBetX Welsh Open Semi-Finals !!!

Postby Andre147

Image Image Image
Monday 11th ~ Sunday 17th of February at The Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff

Joe O'Connor is having a dream tournament, beating 3 world class opponents in Kyren Wilson, Ding Junhui and now John Higgins, looking cool as a cucumber against the latter and now finds himself in his first ranking event semi-final up against Stuart Bingham, a former winner of this tournament himself who seems to love the Home Nations events, with 2 titles in them.

The other Semi-Final sees Hossein Vafaei repeat his best run in a ranking event, his last semi coming at the 2017 China Open, and now plays former World Champion Neil Robertson, who survived a 5-4 decider win against Kurt Maflin.

Will the favourites progress, or will O'Connor continue his giant killing run and/or Vafaei go to his first ranking event Final? All to play over 11 frames.

DRAW

Semi-Finals

Joe O'Connor v Stuart Bingham Never played before
Hossein Vafaei v Neil Robertson Robertson leads 1-0

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: ManBetX Welsh Open Semi-Finals !!!

Postby SnookerFan

When was the last time two first time finalists met in a ranking event final?

I remember Robbo's first time was in Newport was against a debutant.

Was it Andrew Higginson?

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:When was the last time two first time finalists met in a ranking event final?

Was it Andrew Higginson?

Rory McLeod vs Tian Pengfei in the 2015 Ruhr Open.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I want O'Connor to win the tournament.

Me too, he has the air of Paul hunter around him in the balls - very cool. His debut season too... v. impressive

Air, but not hair.

Postby Alex0paul

SnookerFan wrote:When was the last time two first time finalists met in a ranking event final?

Was it Andrew Higginson?

Robertson’s first final was against Cope in the 2006 Grand Prix

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:

Was it Andrew Higginson?

That's right.

He did play Andrew Higginson in Newport, didn't he?

Or am I tripping?

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I want O'Connor to win the tournament.

Me too, he has the air of Paul hunter around him in the balls - very cool. His debut season too... v. impressive

Air, but not hair.

Plan B.

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:The most impressive thing about Joe IMO was his ability to close the game out with no obvious signs of nerves.

Nail on head. Didn’t flinch at all did he? How often do we see it? No need to answer. Often.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:The most impressive thing about Joe IMO was his ability to close the game out with no obvious signs of nerves.

Nail on head. Didn’t flinch at all did he? How often do we see it? No need to answer. Often.

Often.

Postby Alex0paul

SnookerFan wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:

Was it Andrew Higginson?

That's right.

He did play Andrew Higginson in Newport, didn't he?

Or am I tripping?

Yea he did

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Often.

No need. <doh> :gag:

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Of course it is too early to say that Joe will carry his success on, but I would not mind seeing him play more often. He has a big year ahead though to get higher up the rankings.
Anyone know if he practises with Selby?

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Often.

No need. <doh> :gag:

Often.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:

Certainly saw it with Jack :sad:

Postby Cloud Strife

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Of course it is too early to say that Joe will carry his success on, but I would not mind seeing him play more often. He has a big year ahead though to get higher up the rankings.
Anyone know if he practises with Selby?