Post a reply

Re: Coral World Grand Prix Last 16 !!

Postby HappyCamper

another win for the impressive young chinese. he plays xiao in the next round so china guaranteed at least one representative in the semis.

Postby Iranu

Maguire will be fuming not to have forced a decider, but Yuan was cool in taking his chance.

Postby Alex0paul

Weird schedule. Hawkins and Trump get a day off but some have to play two matches today

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:Weird schedule. Hawkins and Trump get a day off but some have to play two matches today

The formats are often weird on ITV events.

I don't like how they always stop play on Saturday afternoons to accommodate the horse racing. (Remember when they used to have rest days on Thursdays, due to the Europa League?)

This the is one problem of ITV for me, and why I can't see they'll ever take an event like The Masters. They insist each tournament has to fit around the other sports on their channel.

Postby HappyCamper

Dan-cat wrote:I'd love an all-Chinese final. Has there ever been one yet?

Ding v Fu has happened a couple of times. Though I'm not sure how Fu would feel about being called Chinese.

Unfortunately Ding is in the same half of the draw as Yuan and Xiao so it won't happen this week.

Edit - actually come to think of it Xiao lost his only final to Ding in Shanghai iirc.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:I'd love an all-Chinese final. Has there ever been one yet?

Ding v Fu has happened a couple of times. Though I'm not sure how Fu would feel about being called Chinese.

Unfortunately Ding is in the same half of the draw as Yuan and Xiao so it won't happen this week.

Edit - actually come to think of it Xiao lost his only final to Ding in Shanghai iirc.

I believe Marco Fu prefers to be known as being from Hong Kong, rather than China.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:Edit - actually come to think of it Xiao lost his only final to Ding in Shanghai iirc.

Without checking, that sounds sort of right.

There's definitely been at least one all-Chinese final that didn't feature Fu.

Postby Ash147

SnookerFan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:Edit - actually come to think of it Xiao lost his only final to Ding in Shanghai iirc.

It was the 2013 Shanghai Masters. Ding beat Guodong 10-6. That was the first of the five ranking events Dong won that season. He was brilliant.

Postby SnookerFan

Ash147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

It was the 2013 Shanghai Masters. Ding beat Guodong 10-6. That was the first of the five ranking events Dong won that season. He was brilliant.

That's why I remembered, I think. Ding won a lot of ranking events that year. (Weren't they all in Asia?)

Postby Iranu

I think it was:

International Championship
China Open
Shanghai Masters
Indian Open
German Masters

Postby Drew1404

Oh there's some salty comments on the original post, people siding with snooker backer. Honestly sijun has impressed me so much this week, he has that air of confidence,he even said in an interview he fancies beating the top players, and he seems to thrive in the spotlight. That to me is signs of a special talent.

Postby SnookerFan

Drew1404 wrote:Oh there's some salty comments on the original post, people siding with snooker backer. Honestly sijun has impressed me so much this week, he has that air of confidence,he even said in an interview he fancies beating the top players, and he seems to thrive in the spotlight. That to me is signs of a special talent.

He's certainly a great prospect. But usually we need time to tell.

Yan Bingtao was headed for great things a year ago, and has done basically nothing since.

Hopefully Sijun bucks the trend, and is as good as he already looks.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Drew1404 wrote:Oh there's some salty comments on the original post, people siding with snooker backer. Honestly sijun has impressed me so much this week, he has that air of confidence,he even said in an interview he fancies beating the top players, and he seems to thrive in the spotlight. That to me is signs of a special talent.

He's certainly a great prospect. But usually we need time to tell.

Yan Bingtao was headed for great things a year ago, and has done basically nothing since.

Hopefully Sijun bucks the trend, and is as good as he already looks.

Hendry wasn't saying Sijun was going to achieve this or that, he was just saying he's the best 18-year-old he's seen since the class of '92. If that is his opinion, it's his opinion.

Postby SnookerFan

In defence, Hendry did admit on ITV4 earlier this week that he'd not seen Sijun play prior to this tournament.

So, I'm not saying he's wrong. But he has based his opinion on a couple of Best Of Seven matches.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:In defence, Hendry did admit on ITV4 earlier this week that he'd not seen Sijun play prior to this tournament.

So, I'm not saying he's wrong. But he has based his opinion on a couple of Best Of Seven matches.

Let’s face it, if he’d been comm’ing on Yan’s tournament where he lost to Willo by the odd frame he’d have said the same thing. He probably doesn’t even know about Yan. As Backer says he’s another flash in the pan/peaked too early... I would dearly loved to be proved wrong.

Postby SnookerFan

I still haven't seen much of Sijun myself, so I can't really make an informed judgement on this. But I feel you're right Dan-Cat.

Hendry knows a lot about the playing of the game, and I'm not doubting his expertise. But since retirement he hasn't been keeping up with much of the modern game.

I hope he's proved right on this one, but it is based solely just on watching two best of seven matches.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:In defence, Hendry did admit on ITV4 earlier this week that he'd not seen Sijun play prior to this tournament.

Let’s face it, if he’d been comm’ing on Yan’s tournament where he lost to Willo by the odd frame he’d have said the same thing. He probably doesn’t even know about Yan. As Backer says he’s another flash in the pan/peaked too early... I would dearly loved to be proved wrong.

Just seen your reply on Twitter. rofl rofl rofl

Postby TheRocket

Not a fan of Snookerbacker but he's spot on this time. There has always been a massive hype and expectation regarding these Chinese youngsters but if you look at the facts and stats you gotta say that Ding has been more impressive and won more as well when he was at the age of his compatriots.

He won the China Open and UK Championship as a 18 year old. And even though he's probably underachieved and not won the World title by now he's still had a good career.

So it even remains to be seen if these Chinese supertalents can justify that hype and even get to Dings level and has that success. Let alone to surpass him.