Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Final : Ronnie O'Sullivan v Judd Trump

Postby Wildey

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I doubt if BBC would want an 8 man Masters due to the way their coverage works with afternoons on BBC2 and evenings on the Red Button. They would be showing the first half of a match on their main programme and the finish of with basic coverage. They could play the matches over two days but if it's a one sided game you could end up with only a couple of frames to show and loads of filler. At least now you are guaranteed six frames in each session.

The Tour Championship could be the best event of the session but it could go wrong if there are a few 9-2 type results. The final is a risk. If it ends a session early then there won't be another one any time soon.

If BBC or World Snooker are thinking like that then they are missing a very important point and not looking at the bigger picture.

yea there are risks but for me the rewards outweigh the risks 5/1 a best of 11 can be exciting however it pales in to insignificance the excitement of multi session matches.

Postby Wildey

Hendry made a good point.

When players play Ronnie or Davis or himself at the top they think they have to play perfect snooker all the time and you dont you get chances you just put too much pressure on yourself to play perfect stuff.

When players go home after a match they felt they got blitz in and look it back its never the rout they feel it was they just not taking chances.

Judd Trump took his Chances well yesterday.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:They have four channels. I'm sure they'll work something out, it's not rocket science.

I have my doubts.

When has snooker ever been shown on ITV2 or ITV3? They always have a break in play on Saturday afternoon, because the horse racing is on ITV4. The simple solution there would be to move one of the sports to a different channel, but due to them stubbornly insisting that ITV4 is the 'sports channel', they don't do that. It was the same when ITV had the rights to show Europa League. Thursdays became a rest day, rather than move channels.

The more likely solution is as said above, that it'll be on the ITV Hub so you'll be able to watch online. Hopefully that's the case, even if it's not ideal.

Postby D4P

Alex0paul wrote:Tbh OSullivan didn’t play that well in any of his matches and as soon as he came up against someone in form he got battered.

Ronnie talked about his insomnia and feeling tired from the very beginning of the week. Given how poorly he (apparently) felt, making it to the final was arguably a positive result for him. A lesser player probably would have lost to Bingham/Day/Ding...

Postby TheRocket

ROS wins most of his matches with his B-game and matchplay these days imo. He did win 5 rankers last season and he's been winning a lot this season but the English Open in 2017 was the one he really played his natural game or lets say his best or close to his best game from start to finish.

The last time he won a TC event with his A-game from start to finish has been the Masters 2014 imo.

Apart from that its been a lot of B-game, tough work at times and glimpses of his A-game in certain matches. But as long as he wins it obviously doesnt matter.

Postby Ash147

Other than the final of the UK, and his match against Ding here, Ronnie's performances since losing in the Northern Ireland final haven't been great. He's looked very beatable in most of his matches.

The tournaments Ronnie has performed best in this season were the Shanghai Masters and the CoC. I think he certainly looked stronger prior to losing to Judd in the Northern Ireland final.

Postby Wildey

Head to Head now looks like this

Overall Tied at 12-12
Main Tournaments Tied at 8-8
Multi Session Matches Tied at 4-4
Masters Trump leads 2-0
Finals Trump leads 6-3

Postby TheRocket

One of Trumps final wins came at the CL league. Another one was a PTC final. But he's leading 4:3 in the proper finals now.

ROS leading him 1:0 at the World Championship, it's 1:1 at the UK and 2:0 for Trump at the Masters. 4:4 in Multi session matches.

You won't find any more even H2H between two topplayers.

Postby D4P

Not sure whether it means anything or not, but I find it interesting that Judd won 4 matches while making only 2 centuries. I didn't watch his matches, but I'm wondering if (perhaps) when he got out of position he generally chose to play safe rather than taking on ill-advised shots intended to keep the break going...? Perhaps this type of change in strategy both reduced his century-making but also increased his chances of winning...?

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Looking back at this match I've got to say it was a much bigger match and win for Trump than it'd be for Ronnie. So all credit to Trump for winning the way he did.

It was Trump second TC title after more than 7 years and he's now won two of the three. This could be a possible career changer for him like Hendry said.

For ROS it would have been another Masters title whist he already holds the record there. The UK final was arguably a bigger match for him given he's broken Davis UK record and Hendrys TC record at the same time.

Still a painful defeat obviously but should he win the WC it'd be still his best ever season by a mile. Until now his best ever season is still 2007/2008 when he won the UK+World.

Yeah you said it all there.

Not hard a defeat to get over, I have forgotten about it now.

I think he can win one of the ITV events before the Worlds, and then hopefully win the World Title. He doesnt have anything else to prove, but lets say 5 seems a bit short for a player like him, so 6 would be ideal, 7 seems a bit out of reach but 6 definately possible, and he's playing well enough to do it.

Also, the fact he's playing less events this season I think is good for his chances at the WC, as opposed to last season when he wanted to play almost everything.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Judd will feel very confident playing Ronnie in the future.

I agree with Wild's point about players thinking they have to play perfect against him.

Even Mark Davis showed that if you assert yourself and stick to your usual game then he is quite beatable.

However, his aura remains and I am sure many players will continue to fold against him in the future. This then perpetuates the myth of invincibility

Postby Andre147

But don't fool yourselves into thinking Ronnie only wins because their opponents fold against him...

Ronnie wins because his A game is the best ever, and his B game not far behind, but of course that aura that ROS, Davis and Hendry had also helps massively.

Above all, I think Trump is a bit like Hunter and Hendry were against him... fearless, and that itself puts Ronnie on the back foot. But still their h2h is pretty even, which just shows how a 43 year old can still compete with a 29 year old in his prime.

Postby Ash147

I think this defeat may inspire some of the other top players now though. Ronnie hasn't lost a final by this margin since 2005, when he faced a peak Higgins. Not only does it reiterate that he can lose big finals, but it also shows he can be beaten heavily by someone playing at their peak.
Last edited by Ash147 on 21 Jan 2019, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I do agree Andre, but I stand by the points that:

Judd should now feel confident against Ronnie. Ronnie not so confident against Judd.

Many players have crumbled and not played as well as they can against ROS, often gifting him an easy win.

As you say, when somebody does not fear him he is much more beatable.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ash147 wrote:I think this defeat may inspire some of the other top players now though. Ronnie hasn't lost a final by this margin since 2005, when he faced a peak Higgins. Not only does it reiterate that he can lose big finals, but it also shows he can be beaten heavily by someone playing at their peak.

If it had been A game Ronnie potting the long pots and playing the perfect safety and Judd would have still beaten him, that would have been a shocker. What happened now was Judd played his A game, which was fantastic, and Ronnie had a bad day and never got going. The long pots were not going in, the safety wasn't great... It happens. Doesn't change anything.

Postby eraserhead

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I do agree Andre, but I stand by the points that:

Judd should now feel confident against Ronnie. Ronnie not so confident against Judd.

Many players have crumbled and not played as well as they can against ROS, often gifting him an easy win.

As you say, when somebody does not fear him he is much more beatable.

pmsl

No player scores as heavy as Ronnie does, people crumble against him because he puts pressure on every aspect of your game. Ronnie was bad since the third frame onwards and gave Judd an easy win.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:But don't fool yourselves into thinking Ronnie only wins because their opponents fold against him...

Ronnie wins because his A game is the best ever, and his B game not far behind, but of course that aura that ROS, Davis and Hendry had also helps massively.

Above all, I think Trump is a bit like Hunter and Hendry were against him... fearless, and that itself puts Ronnie on the back foot. But still their h2h is pretty even, which just shows how a 43 year old can still compete with a 29 year old in his prime.

of course not but point is

Hendry when he was starting out thought he cant afford to miss anything against Davis to beat him and he was the wrong side of some heavy beatings because of that pressure the aura of Davis put on him and other players.

When Hendry started to think that he is Good but not that Good was when the balance changed when they played.

Snooker is played in the mind 80% of the time they all can play snooker to a high standard or they wouldnt be a professional. The Great players Believe in what they do and Judd Believes in what he does when hes playing Ronnie so the psychological edge Ronnie has does not get to Judd and that why he has a great record against him.