Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Final : Ronnie O'Sullivan v Judd Trump

Postby TheRocket

Alex0paul wrote:Trump v O’Sullivan is a potential WC Quarter final at the moment

Imo it would suit O'Sullivan if they play in the quarters or semis rather than the final. In any tournament. Trump has a mental advantage in finals now.

But I think that Trump will stay ahead of Allen in the rankings and possibly meet his nemesis Higgins again in the quarters.

Postby SnookerFan

031066 wrote:where was Judd's girlfriend at the presentation...have they split?

One post wonder. :wave:

No idea whether they've split up or not. She always looked bored stupid at his matches anyway.

Out of interest, did you sign up to this site just to ask where Judd's girlfriend was?

Postby Pink Ball

D4P wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:The Masters isn’t rubbish. In my opinion, it just doesn’t deliver on what it claims to be: an elite-only major. The matches are too short for it to feel like a major, and inviting as many as 16 players is too much for it to be elite, in my opinion.

The Tour Championship format is much closer to what I always wanted the masters to be.

That seems reasonable, though I would point out that (if I understand correctly) the Tour Championship's field would currently feature Jack Lisowski and David Gilbert...

I think you are correct. I would be very surprised if Gilbert holds his place, whatever about Lisowski. But, yeah, it’s not perfect.

Postby Wildey

Pink Ball wrote:
D4P wrote:To say that the Masters is rubbish is incomplete without indicating which tournament(s) is/are not rubbish, and indicating which system for selecting elite players to compete in an event is a superior system...

The Masters isn’t rubbish. In my opinion, it just doesn’t deliver on what it claims to be: an elite-only major. The matches are too short for it to feel like a major, and inviting as many as 16 players is too much for it to be elite, in my opinion.

The Tour Championship format is much closer to what I always wanted the masters to be.

It used to best of 7s then Best of 9s its the only tournament thats been increased in length everything else has been reduced.

The Tour Championship is played on 2 tables to acomadate that with only 8 players playing

Postby SnookerFan

That's my problem with the Tour Championship. Couldn't it start a couple of days earlier? We're going to miss half of the Quarter-Finals, as I doubt ITV will televise both of them.

What's the point of having so few players there, if we can't watch every match?

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:That's my problem with the Tour Championship. Couldn't it start a couple of days earlier? We're going to miss half of the Quarter-Finals, as I doubt ITV will televise both of them.

looking at it you could actually make the masters like the tour championship sunday to sunday 8 players on 1 table

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:Will the Tour Championship final (bo25) be a two or three session match? I suppose two sessions, first session 12 frames and second 13 right?

3 session match

saturday 7pm
sunday 1pm and 7pm

Postby TheRocket

Looking back at this match I've got to say it was a much bigger match and win for Trump than it'd be for Ronnie. So all credit to Trump for winning the way he did.

It was Trump second TC title after more than 7 years and he's now won two of the three. This could be a possible career changer for him like Hendry said.

For ROS it would have been another Masters title whist he already holds the record there. The UK final was arguably a bigger match for him given he's broken Davis UK record and Hendrys TC record at the same time.

Still a painful defeat obviously but should he win the WC it'd be still his best ever season by a mile. Until now his best ever season is still 2007/2008 when he won the UK+World.

Postby Cloud Strife

TheRocket wrote:Looking back at this match I've got to say it was a much bigger match and win for Trump than it'd be for Ronnie. So all credit to Trump for winning the way he did.

It was Trump second TC title after more than 7 years and he's now won two of the three. This could be a possible career changer for him like Hendry said.

For ROS it would have been another Masters title whist he already holds the record there. The UK final was arguably a bigger match for him given he's broken Davis UK record and Hendrys TC record at the same time.

Still a painful defeat obviously but should he win the WC it'd be still his best ever season by a mile. Until now his best ever season is still 2007/2008 when he won the UK+World.

Yeah, it's tough to take, but I'm already over it. Hopefully, Ronnie won't dwell on this defeat too much because he has to do whatever he can to prepare himself for the WC. That will be the acid test, he badly needs another World title, in my opinion, to solidify his status within the game.

Another Masters title would've been nice, but it would have just been another statistic, as you said. He already holds that record. If Judd had inflicted this sort of defeat on Ronnie at the Crucible, now THAT would have really painful. As it is, it's only the Masters, no big deal.

Postby eraserhead

Really interested in seeing how the rest of the season plays out for Trump now. Main problem is will his technique hold up regularly to get him to the business end of the bigger events. His mind set and work ethic seem in a good place right now.

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:That's my problem with the Tour Championship. Couldn't it start a couple of days earlier? We're going to miss half of the Quarter-Finals, as I doubt ITV will televise both of them.

looking at it you could actually make the masters like the tour championship sunday to sunday 8 players on 1 table

This has always been my point. It would be easy to do.

Sunday: Top seed v wildcard 2 (best of 17 frames)
Monday: Fourth seed v fifth seed (best of 17 frames)
Tuesday: Third seed v sixth seed (best of 17 frames)
Wednesday: Second seed v wildcard 1 (best of 17 frames)
Thursday: semi-final one (best of 19 frames)
Friday: semi-final two (best of 19 frames)
Saturday and Sunday: final (best of 33 frames)

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Looking back at this match I've got to say it was a much bigger match and win for Trump than it'd be for Ronnie. So all credit to Trump for winning the way he did.

Yeah, it's tough to take, but I'm already over it. Hopefully, Ronnie won't dwell on this defeat too much because he has to do whatever he can to prepare himself for the WC. That will be the acid test, he badly needs another World title, in my opinion, to solidify his status within the game.

Another Masters title would've been nice, but it would have just been another statistic, as you said. He already holds that record. If Judd had inflicted this sort of defeat on Ronnie at the Crucible, now THAT would have really painful. As it is, it's only the Masters, no big deal.

God your fickle.

It took me a good 3 days to get over Matches that did not go the way i wanted

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

God your fickle.

Coming up to 25 years for me. buck it, Jimmy

Postby Wildey

Pink Ball wrote:
Wildey wrote:

no forget wild cards its either the MASTERS (ie Rankings) or its not the Masters.

Wild Cards are open to interpritation and thats where the problem is.

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Wildey wrote:

no forget wild cards its either the MASTERS (ie Rankings) or its not the Masters.

Wild Cards are open to interpritation and thats where the problem is.

Yeah, buck it. I think I’m on the money otherwise

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:
Iranu wrote:Maybe it's because I was rooting for Ding to beat him in the semis anyway, but I wasn't bothered at all about Ronnie losing yesterday.

Yeah, buck him

This guy gets it.

Postby Pink Ball

Ash147 wrote:I'm really looking forward to the Tour Championship. BO17 quarters, BO19 semis and BO25 final. I wish more tournaments had longer formats like this, rather than the BO7 and BO9 nonsense.

ITV’s formats are getting longer and longer, which bodes well

Postby Pink Ball

TheRocket wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Trump v O’Sullivan is a potential WC Quarter final at the moment

Imo it would suit O'Sullivan if they play in the quarters or semis rather than the final. In any tournament. Trump has a mental advantage in finals now.

But I think that Trump will stay ahead of Allen in the rankings and possibly meet his nemesis Higgins again in the quarters.

If Trump plays Higgins at the worlds, I think Trump would give him a thumping

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

God your fickle.

dont forget every match has its own story. If this was a World final I'm sure it would have been a different story for any ROS supporter.

Or if ROS didnt have the record at the Masters and wasted a good opportunity to break the record it would have been different as well. But he's won 7 and already holds the record.

I think you would admit that the Ebdon defeat in 2002 was the most painful for you to take as a Hendry supporter. More than any other match.

Postby TheRocket

Pink Ball wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

If Trump plays Higgins at the worlds, I think Trump would give him a thumping

Not sure. Higgins always plays like a man possessed against Trump. And Trump seems to get very edgy in the later stages whenever he plays Higgins. Their matches are always extremely close but Higgins just keeps winning them. And I don't think thats just due to Higgins strength. Its also because of Trumps weakness. He's more prone to playing a poor positional shot or missing a sitter.

But at some stage Trump surely has to get a big win over Higgins. It'd be insane if he didn't.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I doubt if BBC would want an 8 man Masters due to the way their coverage works with afternoons on BBC2 and evenings on the Red Button. They would be showing the first half of a match on their main programme and the finish of with basic coverage. They could play the matches over two days but if it's a one sided game you could end up with only a couple of frames to show and loads of filler. At least now you are guaranteed six frames in each session.

The Tour Championship could be the best event of the session but it could go wrong if there are a few 9-2 type results. The final is a risk. If it ends a session early then there won't be another one any time soon.

Postby SnookerFan

My big problem with the Tour Championship is that it has two Quarter-Finals on at a time, both days. Meaning that only one match per day will be televised. The television audience will only be able to watch 50% of the Quarter-Finals.

I want to have the opportunity to watch every match.