Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters S Finals : Ding Junhui v Ronnie O'Sulliv

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:I want Ronnie to win all three Triple Crown titles. I say it again. This is maybe his best and last chance at the same time.

One thing he's already done better: first time he's in into Masters Final after winning UK. His best before was the 2015 Semis here.

But he's said in this interview one thing that I think is why he hasnt done well at the Worlds lately... he gets tired as the tournament goes on, as he's not young anymore.

He needs to have a lot of stamina to win Worlds again. But first win this Masters.

Postby Andre147

But given the chance... I'd much rather he lost tomorrow and won the Worlds than the other way around.

Winning all 3 would be Ronnie's best career achievement, maybe even better than winning the 2013 title after a year out.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I want Ronnie to win all three Triple Crown titles. I say it again. This is maybe his best and last chance at the same time.

One thing he's already done better: first time he's in into Masters Final after winning UK. His best before was the 2015 Semis here.

But he's said in this interview one thing that I think is why he hasnt done well at the Worlds lately... he gets tired as the tournament goes on, as he's not young anymore.

He needs to have a lot of stamina to win Worlds again. But first win this Masters.

I'm not convinced stamina was the problem the last couple of years. Ronnie played crap pretty much from the start at the Worlds for the last couple of years - pressure is more likely the problem.
Last edited by Snooker Overdrive on 19 Jan 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

I'm not convinced stamina was the problem the last couple of years. Ronnie played crap pretty much from the start at the Worlds for the last couple of years - pressure is more likely the problem.

He could have also played crap cause of fatigue.

Postby Souvent

I'd rather he didn't win this and played at the Worlds with the intention of redeeming himself.
If he plays there with the added pressure of winning all 3 in one season, it's almost a certainty that he'll fail.
I would exchange ANY amount of titles at ANY venue at this point for a single win at the Crucible.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Ronnie plays down the pressure trying to detract from it but it must always be there and that what makes you play well without it your flat.

Postby HappyCamper

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

He could have also played crap cause of fatigue.

i don't think fatigue can realistically be a factor in the second round.

maybe in the quarters against ding that year it could start to play a part.

but other than that it's not enough time or snooker to matter surely.

Postby Andre147

Winning here and coming to the Worlds with the chance to win all 3 is huge pressure no doubt even if he says otherwise.

Look at Selby in 2013... could have won all 3 in that season but lost early at the Worlds.

I would rather he lost tomorrow if it meant he won the Worlds, but we'll never know will he... I suppose its better he does win tomorrow and hope for the best in April.

Postby Wildey

Souvent wrote:I'd rather he didn't win this and played at the Worlds with the intention of redeeming himself.
If he plays there with the added pressure of winning all 3 in one season, it's almost a certainty that he'll fail.
I would exchange ANY amount of titles at ANY venue at this point for a single win at the Crucible.

You got to win when you win you cant save yourself for another event.

Winning breads confidence its strange listening to some here talking about it id rather see my fave going to the crucible with 10 ranking titles plus CoC and Masters in the bag and let other players rubbish themselves

Postby Iranu

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Considering how much fitter Ronnie must be than Higgins or MJW, I don't think stamina is the issue.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Ronnie keeps mentioning that he gets tired in the matches now. Hope he can keep the concentration for tomorrow and and after that he has two weeks off. Maybe he has a virus.

If he plays Judd he needs to start better than he did at the Northern and not make silly mistakes. For all the world it look liked he would lead 6-4 in the 2nd session but missed a sitter. He came back from 5-6 to lead 7-6. After that Trump was too strong.

He had many losses at the masters compared to the Worlds and UKs. Hope another one isnt adding the list tomorrow. Would be tough after a season like that and chance of creating history.

Selby was the closest in 2012/2013 I think. Won UK and Masters but lost vs Hawkins in the 2nd round at the WC.

Postby Andre147

I agree with Wild...

Of course I want Ronnie to win tomorrow, and I'll be absolutely gutted if he doesn't because this is the first time he's been in a Masters Final after winning the UK.

BUT by winning this title will the pressure be too much at The Crucible? Only time will tell.

Postby HappyCamper

don't forget the tour championship as well. it has more right to be considered a 'major' than either the uk or london masters.

o'sullivan has a great chance to be the first winner of the 'quadruple crown'.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:I agree with Wild...

Of course I want Ronnie to win tomorrow, and I'll be absolutely gutted if he doesn't because this is the first time he's been in a Masters Final after winning the UK.

BUT by winning this title will the pressure be too much at The Crucible? Only time will tell.

To be honest, I don't think he can play any flatter than he did in the last two years at the Crucible. So it can get only better <laugh>

Postby TheRocket

Just watched Rons post match interview in the BBC studio. He said he finds it hard concentrating for long periods of time. He also said that he's always asked himself what a 29 year old ROS would do against a 43 year old Ding and he believes he'd probably get on top of Ding easily.

And I'd certainly agree with him on that point. As someone who watched the 29 year old ROS.

But it definitely shows no matter how fit,athletic or whatever you are age is catching up to you as a 40+ year old. So you gotta appreciate it even more what he's been doing this season.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Just watched Rons post match interview in the BBC studio. He said he finds it hard concentrating for long periods of time. He also said that he's always asked himself what a 29 year old ROS would do against a 43 year old Ding and he believes he'd probably get on top of Ding easily.

And I'd certainly agree with him on that point. As someone who watched the 29 year old ROS.

But it definitely shows no matter how fit,athletic or whatever you are age is catching up to you as a 40+ year old. So you gotta appreciate it even more what he's been doing this season.

Yeah definately. Heard him too and couldn't stop thinking this is maybe why he hasnt done well at the Worlds in recent years.

Yes he simply played rubbish, but The Crucible test you need to be concentrating for long periods of time, and that isn't easy for a 43 yeard old, even if you're a genius like him.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Just watched Rons post match interview in the BBC studio. He said he finds it hard concentrating for long periods of time. He also said that he's always asked himself what a 29 year old ROS would do against a 43 year old Ding and he believes he'd probably get on top of Ding easily.

Yeah definately. Heard him too and couldn't stop thinking this is maybe why he hasnt done well at the Worlds in recent years.

Yes he simply played rubbish, but The Crucible test you need to be concentrating for long periods of time, and that isn't easy for a 43 yeard old, even if you're a genius like him.

I agree. Only strange thing is that Higgins who undoubtely is in a poorer physical shape than ROS did so well in the recent two editions while ROS hasn't.

Thats why I think pressure also plays a big part. No one expected Higgins to do well while ROS obviously is always the huge favourite. So in the end its probably a combination of pressure + old age.

Postby Andre147

I think main difference is Higgins is more willing to win playing good or bad.

Ronnie won't win the World Title playing his C game. At most, playing his B game but only for brief moments. All of his World Titles wins have come playing well, at least the majority of the event.