Post a reply

Re: Championship League Snooker 2019 !!!

Postby Dan-cat

TheRocket wrote:Surprised Selby still bothers playing this. He already played in the two groups before.

He said after his Master's first round win that it's paid practice against the top players and he doesn't understand why all the top players don't enter.

Postby Cloud Strife

TheRocket wrote:Surprised Selby still bothers playing this. He already played in the two groups before.

He loves money, even if it's peanuts compared to what he usually earns.

Postby Ash147

Cloud Strife wrote:

He loves money, even if it's peanuts compared to what he usually earns.

Postby SnookerFan

For the players, this is a good deal.

They're getting paid to do something they would be doing anyway, practice.

Hearn makes a bit more money out of it, the betting companies who sponsor most of the tour get their own little exclusive present.

As a business deal, it's quite meaningful. As a snooker competition it's pointless. From fans perspective, it's pointless.

Not pointless for those who organise it or enter it.

Postby TheSaviour

There were a highly interesting Tartan Tussle; Anthony McGill-Stephen Maguire. Mags took it, which slightly suprised me. I thought McGill would have a perfect moment and situation now to be back his best. Still early days, this goes on a few days now.

Selby seems to have gathered his old creativity and flair back once again, he seems to be playing really well now once again. He has a tendency to get a bit thick and flat at times. The results, the rankings, the wins or even the titles aren´t all there are on the offering while touring around the globe and the UK. It is still a good enough to most of the people if he does get too flat. To me also. But still nice to see him to be back to at his best. Will be really good to him personally, if nothing else.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:For the players, this is a good deal.

Hearn makes a bit more money out of it, the betting companies who sponsor most of the tour get their own little exclusive present.

As a business deal, it's quite meaningful. As a snooker competition it's pointless. From fans perspective, it's pointless.

Ive thought of this and i cant work out What Bookies or Hearn gets out of it yea its obvious what the players get out of it theres really good money to be had and Practice But from a buisness perspetive does not make any sense what so ever.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:For the players, this is a good deal.

Ive thought of this and i cant work out What Bookies or Hearn gets out of it yea its obvious what the players get out of it theres really good money to be had and Practice But from a buisness perspetive does not make any sense what so ever.

Well, they must be making money out of it, or they wouldn't do it.

These events are streamed live on booking websites. There are enough people out there that will put big enough bets on each game for it to make a profit. Gambling is big business, and some people will gamble no matter what the sport. Irregardless of whether they know anything about it or not. If the Championship League is on their favourite betting site, and a free stream for snooker comes up, they'll take a punt on it. That's why the matches are so short. Nobody cares about the watching of the game, just who wins. There must be enough people betting on these games, or the Championship League just wouldn't happen. And with short matches being almost a lottery, it's too hard to predict games. Ergo, a lot of people losing money on it. Profit for the bookies.

As to Hearn, I suspect the reason he's doing it is to keep the bookies sweet. The bookies throw the majority of sponsorship into the game. If they all got the hump and left, so would pretty much all of the sponsorship money and snooker would be ruined. As much as Hearn likes to boast that he's the boss, he has to keep his tongue firmly in the gambling firm's anus. Their money is keeping the sport afloat. So, if he can get the players to play the odd frame here or there so the betting companies to make profit, he will. Keeps them sweet. It may even be that he's negotiated himself part of the profit too, if they're making enough.

It's all a bit elicit. He's essentially prostituting the players out to keep the gambling firms sweet. But, to continue the analogy, the prostitutes are well paid for it. So aren't really complaining.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I wouldn't want to bet on it. The players are not highly motivated and some might be keen to lose as it will increase their winnings.

I cannot understand how it could make a profit. There is something shady about it IMO.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I wouldn't want to bet on it.

Well, neither would I. But that's neither here nor there. I wouldn't go to Las Vegas and risk all my money on a roulette wheel or toss of a dice. Enough people do to make it super-profitable.

The CL is not aimed at people who know enough about the sport to post on an internet forum about it. It's aimed at hardcore gamblers, who'd throw money at pretty much anything. If enough of those exist, the tournament makes a profit. And it must be making a profit, or there'd be no reason for them to have it.

Postby Wildey

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I wouldn't want to bet on it. The players are not highly motivated and some might be keen to lose as it will increase their winnings.

I cannot understand how it could make a profit. There is something shady about it IMO.

I Agree

Its the most corrupt form of Sporting event ever

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I am not convinced by SightRight.

A good player is struggling badly, so goes to SightRight. Within a year their form improves. Is SightRight the reason? I do not think it is that simple. If you are a good player playing rubbish, then you will almost certainly have an upturn in form within that year. Also, how does it explain all the rubbish players on it's books?

I am more convinced by Roland as he made Snooker Island.

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I am not convinced by SightRight.

A good player is struggling badly, so goes to SightRight. Within a year their form improves. Is SightRight the reason? I do not think it is that simple. If you are a good player playing rubbish, then you will almost certainly have an upturn in form within that year. Also, how does it explain all the rubbish players on it's books?

Yes, I am convinced it improves your game.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:I am not convinced by SightRight.

Yes, I am convinced it improves your game.

I remember Mark Williams used to hate on SightRight all the time on Twitter. He really tweeted a lot about how he couldn't believe it could help anyone and he made fun of the players who tried it. This was a couple of years ago..

The fact that Mark now uses it and won the World Championship, tells me there might be something to it.

Postby Iranu

How much SightRight works I guess depends on how accurately you're sighting the angles when you join.

MJW has spoken about how he still thinks the angle looks like he'll miss by about a foot when he gets down to play the shot, but he's learned to trust the technique.

Other players may be struggling for other reasons, so their game isn't improved so dramatically. Others may be just nowhere near as good, so their potential is that much lower than MJW's.

Postby Andre147

Dan-cat wrote:David Gilbert just made the 147th 147, at the championship league. Hoopla!

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Knew this would happen on CL!