Post a reply

Re: ManBetX Champion of Champions Group 2 !!

Postby SnookerFan

SteveJJ wrote:According to Jill, Robertson's already through to the semi final so the next match might be a bit pointless.

She isn't showing any signs of improving as a snooker presenter is she?

Well, I dunno. She's improved a bit.

She used to refer to frames as 'sets', like in tennis. She's improved a bit.

Agreed that she's no Hazel Irvine though.

Postby Johnny Bravo

masterdoctorgenius wrote:Neil wins again.

Old cliche but 147 wins you only one frame.

I'd rather make a 147 than win a match, it is more glorious.
Exception being the final of a major event or the WC.

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:

A major event or the World Championship?

Postby SteveJJ

Cloud Strife wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:
Iranu wrote:Hearn's a great talker. He's an bottom but a great talker.

But I wish when he did these interviews pundits would actually question what he says rather than just lapping at his toes.

He says he wants a tour that benefits the young players and allows for fairytale media stories as those youngsters achieve their dreams. Great, I think we all agree on that. But when half of last season's tournaments were won by over-40s I think it's clear that's not what's happening. If he wants a varied tour as he says, surely having more tiered events fits into that?

We know Hendry disagrees with the flat 128 so the fact he didn't question it is quite annoying considering how outspoken he generally is.

Hearn's also a master at dodging issues with his slick non-response to the venue "controversy".

Are tiered events more of a guarantee of success for younger players than the flat draws or would the cream rise to the top anyway?

Are there the players around now of the calibre of the class of 92 that are being stymied by the flat draws or is the quality not there in depth?

I'd only make the change back to tiers if there was evidence over a period that flat draws were demonstrably unfair on a large portion of the pros on tour. Not sure we are at that point.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Make it an even mix of both. Job done.

Point accepted that there could be a mix between the two but I'm not sure either way would have the result Iranu hoped for of an increased number of young(er) players breaking through - and when I say break through, I mean genuine top 8 class players. It may very well give more people the opportunity the chance to become mid ranking (32-64) than now but I don't see an increase in tiered events leading to players jumping to the top of the tree faster than now.

Looking at the (mostly) flat tiered era, in terms of younger players, I suppose the only runaway success would be Kyren Wilson. With arguments that could be made for Brecel, Bingtao, Yuelong, Saengkham and Lisowski to a lesser extent giving them the opportunity to fairly quickly climb up the rankings. If there were more tiered events than there are now, are people saying there would be more of these successes (or qualified successes) or some of the above would have risen faster/higher than they have done?

I get the point about lower ranked players facing top 5 players in the last 128 and getting tonked on a regular basis. You could say that that doesn't help their progress or you could say on the other hand that its a tough education and those that battle through it and start picking up results may be in better positions to climb higher/faster due to that experience.

Casting my mind back to the time in the 90's where mostly everything was tiered, I remember the likes of Hamilton regularly winning a few games and looking great and then coming up against a top player in the last 16/quarter final and regularly getting beaten. Despite the confidence of regular wins in earlier rounds it didn't regularly lead him to be able to compete against the best. It wasn't until the tour went mainly flat that the likes of him and King have won tournaments.

Sorry for rambling - my last point would be that even if there was a failsafe way to promote younger players progress, should we? Surely its all about the quality of the play whether that comes from a 20 year old or a 45 year old?

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

Neal Foulds @fouldsy147
The snooker on #ITV4 has been superb today but the best thing that has happened in sport is L’es Fremantle winning at Market Rasen #EveryHorseHasItsDay

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:

Absalute bullocks id rather win matches any day centuries mean rubbish

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

A major event or the World Championship?

I meant a major event final (Masters, UK) plus any match at the WC.

Postby LC

Hearn was on radio 5 about the boxing, with regards to wilder and Joshua, and they had frank warren on the other line, he kept picking at everything Hearn was saying, he got more and more irate and the end of interview claimed he’d been ambushed and would never go on 5 live again! That’s possibly an insight into why no one questions him

Postby Cloud Strife

LC wrote:Hearn was on radio 5 about the boxing, with regards to wilder and Joshua, and they had frank warren on the other line, he kept picking at everything Hearn was saying, he got more and more irate and the end of interview claimed he’d been ambushed and would never go on 5 live again! That’s possibly an insight into why no one questions him

Yeah, it's what I alluded to earlier. He wouldn't do these interviews so much if people actually questioned him and called him out on some of his more dubious decisions.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Wildey wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

It's not just any ton mate, it's a magical 147.
For me, glory is more important than winning. I'd rather live 1 year as a vulture than 100 as a crow.

Postby Iranu

Iranu wrote:Robbo-Allen rematch Thursday evening, with Robbo winning it. That's my prediction.

(So you can all look forward to a Selby-Hawkins 'group final')

Phase 1 complete.

Postby Sickpotter

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

For me, glory is more important than winning. I'd rather live 1 year as a vulture than 100 as a crow.

:roll:

147s are too common these days for there to be any real glory associated IMO.

20 years down the road no one remember a max, they remember the winner. Sole exceptions are significant 147s like the 1st televised, the 1st in the WC

No real pro would chase a max in favor of a win.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Nice maximum Selby. Although they are pretty frequent these days it's still a good achievement. Selby seemed genuinely chuffed and so anyone who bags a maximum should.

It certainly isn't as big a deal as it once was and it was disappointing that Selby received the sum total of zero pounds for his sterling effort.

Maybe some player hitting two maxis in one match or hitting two on the bounce or a big deciding frame in a major tournament will grab the attention of the snooker public once more for as it stands the magical 147 barely causes a stir.
Last edited by Chalk McHugh on 08 Nov 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Sickpotter wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

:roll:

147s are too common these days for there to be any real glory associated IMO.

20 years down the road no one remember a max, they remember the winner. Sole exceptions are significant 147s like the 1st televised, the 1st in the WC

No real pro would chase a max in favor of a win.

Probably not, especially the young ones who don't earn that much money. But when you have earned and won enough, you might also want to enjoy yourself on the table rather than just treat it as a job.

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Do you think Ronnie would be considered a Great without winning rubbish however Great players did not need to make a 147.

Steve Davis and Jimmy White did only 1 James Wattana has done 3 enough said <doh> <doh> <doh>