Post a reply

Re: BetVictor English Open Quarter Finals !!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Holden, you seem desperate to defend him but most people who saw it live - and in context - were in agreement. Your faith is admirable I must say.

My opinion is based on Ronnie's behaviour for his entire career. I don't want to defend him at all. See the tweet above.

Some people are desperate to discredit Ronnie. And this is the time they've been waiting for.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I am in no way desperate to discredit him. This incident does not ruin his legacy. Based on a rational viewing and assessment of his behaviour, I believe he knew he had touched the red. A player of Ronnie's ability would also know where the reds were lying and that had changed after the contact.

I hate the fact it happened but it happened.

Postby Wildey

My Opinion is based on facts you see how much feel he had for the shot by re creating it and doing it he did not feel that ball. did he see it is another matter only ronnie knows that.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I am in no way desperate to discredit him. This incident does not ruin his legacy. Based on a rational viewing and assessment of his behaviour, I believe he knew he had touched the red. A player of Ronnie's ability would also know where the reds were lying and that had changed after the contact.

I truly believe he didn't notice it. With all the noise from the crowd going on and the cue rattling in the rest, I believe it's possible to not notice it. And I have never, ever seen Ronnie not admit to a foul since I began watching snooker.
Last edited by Holden Chinaski on 20 Oct 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Cheshire Cat

The whole issue with the rest reminds me a tad of that incredible QF between Higgins & Selby at the Worlds in 2009; Selby caught the ( iirc ) blue pretty bluntly on a rest shot when he was pulling back the cue, but apparently didn't notice it or declare it. The ref did however notice it in that match, and called a foul.

There wasn't much issue though because the frame was over & it wasn't live play, but Selby was quite adamant with the ref afterwards that he didn't notice the contact and that there was none. I think it was Virgo and Thorne in comms just putting it down to the player being so focused on the shot in front of them.

I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to both Selbs and ROS, two great sportsmen, but I do agree when you see those sorts of things on replay where a ball very clearly moves, it is a bit of an eyebrow-raiser.

Postby Wildey

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I am in no way desperate to discredit him. This incident does not ruin his legacy. Based on a rational viewing and assessment of his behaviour, I believe he knew he had touched the red. A player of Ronnie's ability would also know where the reds were lying and that had changed after the contact.

But hes 42 hes seen first hand as pundit what the cameras sees so after hitting the red like that doesent he realise the stick he would get.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:

But hes 42 hes seen first hand as pundit what the cameras sees so after hitting the red like that doesent he realise the stick he would get.

Indeed. Ronnie would know the camera would show it and he would know he would never get away with it. It's silly to think Ronnie would do that.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Fair play to Ronnie winning all his trophies with eyesight Ray Charles would have been proud of. Although to be fair the mince pies do get a bit ropey in your 40s. I'm after driving through a red light but in my defence i was on my phone texting. Happy days!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Badsnookerplayer wrote:OK.

So he didn't see the rest hit the red.
He did not feel it.
He did not see the red move.
He did not notice the reds were in a different position.

If that is what you believe then that is that.

If you believe Ronie is not aware he's on camera and everybody can see the foul, and he still decides to act like he doesn't notice the foul, for the first time in his career... then that's that.

Marc J Davis
@MarcDavis147
CRAZY to read these
@ronnieo147
'parakeet' comments. 1.When you lift the rest your cue knocks around on the metal/slate. 2. The crowd are clapping (can't hear it) 3. He's in the zone. No way Ronnie's a parakeet. Unfortunate, forget, move on. #EnglishOpen

Postby Holden Chinaski

Chalk McHugh wrote:Fair play to Ronnie winning all his trophies with eyesight Ray Charles would have been proud of. Although to be fair the mince pies do get a bit ropey in your 40s. I'm after driving through a red light but in my defence i was on my phone texting. Happy days!

The only Ray Charles there was the ref.

Postby Iranu

I don't blame the ref, really. She was at the other end of the table so if we're claiming Ronnie wouldn't hear or see or feel the red move, I don't understand how the ref could be at fault.

You could argue she was in the wrong position but other than that, I don't think you can absolve Ronnie while blaming the ref. Ronnie had three sense to rely on, she only had two. Also he was handing her the rest immediately after it happened so her attention was elsewhere too.

The marker on the other hand probably should have noticed. Are the markers allowed to inform the ref of fouls they haven't noticed?

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Holden, you seem desperate to defend him but most people who saw it live - and in context - were in agreement. Your faith is admirable I must say.

I don't really care either way, but I still think.an accident. His body language at the table didn't suggest he'd noticed anything. Also in the studio, he needed to be shown the clip several times.

If he did it on purpose, he deserves criticism. I'm not sure though.

If was a mistake, it was a silly one.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Ronnie is prophetic too. Turns out he was right all along in his early week comments about Crawley ; there is a bad stench of urine. And something a little more odorous, also.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:

I don't really care either way, but I still think.an accident. His body language at the table didn't suggest he'd noticed anything. Also in the studio, he needed to be shown the clip several times.

If he did it on purpose, he deserves criticism. I'm not sure though.

If was a mistake, it was a silly one.

Wow what did I miss?!

Postby Iranu

The only thing that makes me doubt that Ronnie knew he'd fouled is that he said "rubbish" live on air when he saw it.

It would be very cynical of him to plan that out in advance!

Postby vodkadiet

Iranu wrote:The only thing that makes me doubt that Ronnie knew he'd fouled is that he said "rubbish" live on air when he saw it.

Yes. There is no doubt he knew he had fouled. And as Badsnookerplayer says, whatever has gone before is totally irrelevant.

If he had been winning the match comfortably he would definitely have owned up to it. He just made an error of judgement in that split second moment.

I can guarantee you that at this moment I bet he had wished he had lost the match than have this happen.

And this incident is not comparable to his childish antics of the past because none of those antics have involved cheating.

Quite a few players have cheated in the past. Some on camera and some not, but this is O'Sullivan and he will always get the headlines, for good or for bad.

This may affect him for quite some time.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

vodkadiet wrote:
Iranu wrote:The only thing that makes me doubt that Ronnie knew he'd fouled is that he said "rubbish" live on air when he saw it.

Yes. There is no doubt he knew he had fouled. And as Badsnookerplayer says, whatever has gone before is totally irrelevant.

If he had been winning the match comfortably he would definitely have owned up to it. He just made an error of judgement in that split second moment.

I can guarantee you that at this moment I bet he had wished he had lost the match than have this happen.

And this incident is not comparable to his childish antics of the past because none of those antics have involved cheating.

Quite a few players have cheated in the past. Some on camera and some not, but this is O'Sullivan and he will always get the headlines, for good or for bad.

This may affect him for quite some time.

Ronnie is so bad that he needs cheating to win? And he wasnt even leaving a red on after touching the reds.

If he had felt that bad and guitly and he fully knew he cheated then I doubt he would produce that stealy clearance in the 7th frame. He would have had this incident in mind till the end of the match and wouldnt be focussed and clear minded to play the match at all.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ronnie said in the Eurosport studio that he wished somebody would have stopped the match and made him aware of the foul. He looked gutted when he saw the foul in the studio.

You guys realise Ronnie was aware he was on camera when he made that foul? He would be mad to think nobody would see it.

Postby vodkadiet

Anyone who has played snooker to any reasonable standard would have known that they fouled there. It is ridiculous to think otherwise. Unless, of course you are so blinded by your love of him that you refuse to believe anything bad of him.

He made a bad error of judgement in the heat of the moment. Yes, he cheated. And yes, he should be forgiven.

He could still actually fully redeem himself by handing the match to Luo and letting him play tonight.

Postby Holden Chinaski

vodkadiet wrote:Anyone who has played snooker to any reasonable standard would have known that they fouled there..

I have never played a professional match in an arena with a lot of noise and a crowd cheering. Neither have you. Even the ref missed the foul.

Postby Chalk McHugh

vodkadiet wrote:Anyone who has played snooker to any reasonable standard would have known that they fouled there. It is ridiculous to think otherwise. Unless, of course you are so blinded by your love of him that you refuse to believe anything bad of him.

He made a bad error of judgement in the heat of the moment. Yes, he cheated. And yes, he should be forgiven.

He could still actually fully redeem himself by handing the match to Luo and letting him play tonight.

There are none so blind as those who choose not to see. Unfortunately thats the way it has always been.

Didn't Donald Trump say he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and they'd still vote for him?

Not for a minute equating the two obviously but blind loyalty runs deep in so many.

Postby vodkadiet

No doubt all the pundits like White and Foulds will defend O'Sullivan on air, whilst knowing full well he knew exactly what had happened.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

vodkadiet wrote:Anyone who has played snooker to any reasonable standard would have known that they fouled there. It is ridiculous to think otherwise. Unless, of course you are so blinded by your love of him that you refuse to believe anything bad of him.

Ask Neil Robertson. He even is on Ronnies side. So is Mark King.

Postby vodkadiet

masterdoctorgenius wrote:

They know what O'Sullivan must be feeling and are trying to lend some support.

Postby Cloud Strife

masterdoctorgenius wrote:

Robertson's an Aussie. Those boys know all about cheating, and it's almost a part of their sporting culture.

I'm with Ronnie though. If he says he didn't know, that is good enough for me. End of the matter, as far as I'm concerned.

Postby vodkadiet

When someone cheats and says after being found out "I am happy to play the match again" you know they cheated deliberately. Phil Taylor said the same after he cheated against Jamie Lewis in Gibraltar.