Post a reply

Re: BetVictor English Open Last 128 !

Postby Johnny Bravo

Andre147 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:At the end of that first frame, Trump got a brilliant snooker behind the black ball.

And even though Hull responded himself with a brilliant escape, tactically speaking, it was the wrong shot to take on. Had he missed that pink, Trump could have cleared up to win. A better shot was to commit a foul on purpose and just push the white on the middle of the bottom cushion, touching the cushion. That way, even though you lose some points and your opponent gets a chance, it's almost impossible for him to clear up given the position of the cueball in relation to the pink.

Missing on purpose is a foul and a miss, even if snookers are required in case you did not know, so that wouldn't be a option and Trump would have put the cue ball back again.

Really ? :hmmm: :huh:

I had no idea about that. :shrug:

From what I know, you are allowed to do that in pool. In fact, many top pros foul on purpose and tie balls up when they can't see an easy escape, especially in 9 ball.

Postby Andre147

I'm happy Snooker is not like Pool when you can make fouls like that on purpose.

Snooker is a gentleman's game and a respectful sport.

But yes, even if snookers are required, a miss can be called if the ref considers the player hasnt made a fair attempt to hit the ball on.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Andre147 wrote:I'm happy Snooker is not like Pool when you can make fouls like that on purpose.

But yes, even if snookers are required, a miss can be called if the ref considers the player hasnt made a fair attempt to hit the ball on.

In pool you are also allowed to jump over a ball in order to escape a snooker, which I don't think it's fair cause basically anybody with a jump cue and a little practice can do it. It takes away the edge from the more skilled players, which I don't think it's fair.
Pool does have better rule (in a way) than snooker though, and that is the fact that you can't get a snooker by simply tucking behind a ball. After contact with an object ball, either that ball or the cueball must touch at least a cushion.

On another note, and sorry if I'm being off topic, but where's Pinkey ? He hasn't posted in a while and he's one of my favorites on this forum. He has a nice humor. :hatoff:

Postby Cloud Strife

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Andre147 wrote:I'm happy Snooker is not like Pool when you can make fouls like that on purpose.

In pool you are also allowed to jump over a ball in order to escape a snooker, which I don't think it's fair cause basically anybody with a jump cue and a little practice can do it. It takes away the edge from the more skilled players, which I don't think it's fair.
Pool does have better rule (in a way) than snooker though, and that is the fact that you can't get a snooker by simply tucking behind a ball. After contact with an object ball, either that ball or the cueball must touch at least a cushion.

On another note, and sorry if I'm being off topic, but where's Pinkey ? He hasn't posted in a while and he's one of my favorites on this forum. He has a nice humor. :hatoff:

It's a private matter. You'll have to sign up to Snookery Dookery to find out...and even then we may decide to not tell you.

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:At the end of that first frame, Trump got a brilliant snooker behind the black ball.

And even though Hull responded himself with a brilliant escape, tactically speaking, it was the wrong shot to take on. Had he missed that pink, Trump could have cleared up to win. A better shot was to commit a foul on purpose and just push the white on the middle of the bottom cushion, touching the cushion. That way, even though you lose some points and your opponent gets a chance, it's almost impossible for him to clear up given the position of the cueball in relation to the pink.

Missing on purpose is a foul and a miss, even if snookers are required in case you did not know, so that wouldn't be a option and Trump would have put the cue ball back again.

Really ? :hmmm: :huh:

I had no idea about that. :shrug:

From what I know, you are allowed to do that in pool. In fact, many top pros foul on purpose and tie balls up when they can't see an easy escape, especially in 9 ball.

Is that true? Surely the game wiuld just devolve into endless deliberate fouls?

Oh wait. You're only allowed to make 3 fouls in a row before the frame's conceded aren't you?

Still, if that's allowed that's pretty stupid.

Postby Iranu

masterdoctorgenius wrote:Hull and Judd coukd be brothers.

Well he is the Juddernaut. Every vessel needs a hull.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Is that true? Surely the game wiuld just devolve into endless deliberate fouls?

Oh wait. You're only allowed to make 3 fouls in a row before the frame's conceded aren't you?

Still, if that's allowed that's pretty stupid.

Players only opt for that when they can't see an easy escape.

Postby Iranu

Judd's got one of my favourite "I just screwed up" reactions.

I'm also partial to Selby's leaning on the table while looking up at the ceiling, and Robertson's somewhat effeminate holding out of his arm.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu wrote:Judd's got one of my favourite "I just screwed up" reactions.

I'm also partial to Selby's leaning on the table while looking up at the ceiling, and Robertson's somewhat effeminate holding out of his arm.

rofl

...Judd and Robertson both do the 'point with the cue' thing.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Lots of players always attack the pack from the black with screw. Many times, topspin would be more effective IMHO. That's probably why they are pro and I am not

It's better with screw. First of all, it's the easier shot and second of all, you hit the balls directly. When u hit the cushion first, you lose a lot of the power.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Lots of players always attack the pack from the black with screw. Many times, topspin would be more effective IMHO. That's probably why they are pro and I am not

It's better with screw. First of all, it's the easier shot and second of all, you hit the balls directly. When u hit the cushion first, you lose a lot of the power.

Sorry JB - I did not explain properly.

I mean from low on the black play direct into the pack. Lots of players always play with screw which is OK many times but it tends to pull the white towards the top cushion. Often topspin will push the cueball 'through' the pack towards the middle of the table.

Postby vodkadiet

Newsflash: Ronnie O'Sullivan has announced in the last hour that he is unhappy with what is on offer in the canteen at the venue in Crawley.

World Snooker will be making an announcement regarding O'Sullivan's remarks tomorrow at noon.

Postby vodkadiet

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Looks like Burger King have parted company with JT

Don't worry. He will be signing with KFC before the week is out....

Postby Badsnookerplayer

vodkadiet wrote:Newsflash: Ronnie O'Sullivan has announced in the last hour that he is unhappy with what is on offer in the canteen at the venue in Crawley.

World Snooker will be making an announcement regarding O'Sullivan's remarks tomorrow at noon.

Should be kicked out of this tournament I say and given a ban.

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Should be kicked out of this tournament I say and given a ban.

I'll PM Wildey with the suggestion.