Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Final : Ronnie O'Sullivan v Judd Trump

Postby Cloud Strife

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Well - that is a good thing he did so let's hear no more about the failed drugs test, allegations (and they are only allegations!) of throwing matches, alleged cheating against Luo Honghao , sexual comments inviting a female journalist to 'nosh him off'.....

Because - he signed a cue.

Definite ambassador material.

Well yeah, I suppose I could have also mentioned the millions of fans he has brought to the sport from across the world or the countless players, including Ding Junhui and Mark Selby, who have cited him as their inspiration for even wanting become a snooker player in the first place. It's why Barry Hearn has gone on record as saying he wished he could have a dozen Ronnie O'Sullivans. Nope not ambassador material at all.

Postby D4P

My take on Ronnie is that he is naturally a very caring person with a kind heart.

He also happens to have been raised in a family that ran sex shops and took him to snooker clubs all the time, which (undoubtedly) meant that he was around people that wouldn't have turned him into a good "ambassador" in the way that we probably think an ambassador should behave. I'm sure that some of his natural sensitive nature was probably squelched by the time of culture he was raised in. He dropped out of high school to play snooker, which is presumably partly why he doesn't always sound like the most educated or intelligent person in the world....

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud makes a good point in that Sullivan has attracted more fans to snooker than any other player in the past 20 years through his play. Comprehensively so. Maybe he is a good ambassador, even a great one.

I was thinking more behaviour-wise. In that context, he has been a poor ambassador. Steve Davis has been our top man on that front, I would say.

Anyway, people talk out their baboons shiny behinds when it comes to ambassador stuff. Some people still say John Higgins is a great ambassador, or are happy to cheer him on while decrying Sullivan's behaviour. Be consistent. tourist both of them. They deserve it. Though at least Sullivan has improved a lot with age.

What we can be glad of is that snooker is still a clean sport, or at least I think it is. At least our 'ambassadors' are not drugs cheats.

Tennis... hmmmm...

Postby Holden Chinaski

If you like Ronnie, you can find 100 reasons why he's a great ambassador. If you don't like him, you can find 100 reasons why he's not.

In the end, he never applied for an ambassador job. He's just a snooker player. And all a snooker player needs to do is practice hard so he can keep performing, and this is what Ronnie does.

At 43 years old, with all the money he has made, he could have retired a long time ago. But he hasn't. He's still working on his game, still entering tournaments, and still inspiring thousands of people around the world to pick up a snooker cue.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Holden Chinaski wrote:BSP, the phrase "The King is dead..." means that one ruler is gone, but a new ruler is there to take over. So I was under the impression you were saying Ronnie's days are over, and now Judd will dominate. That's what the phrase means. Are you being passive-aggressive again?

Postby Pink Ball

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:BSP, the phrase "The King is dead..." means that one ruler is gone, but a new ruler is there to take over. So I was under the impression you were saying Ronnie's days are over, and now Judd will dominate. That's what the phrase means. Are you being passive-aggressive again?

BadSnookerPlayer: dragging up old posts before it was cool.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

BadSnookerPlayer: dragging up old posts before it was cool.

Innocent slip of the mouse