Post a reply

Re: OPPO International Championship Qualifiers !!!

Postby Johnny Bravo

Cloud Strife wrote:
I take issue with Johnny's assertion that only nerds and "people with weak bodies" play computer games. That's just complete nonsense lol.

I didn't phrase that properly. What I meant was that they only play on the computer instead of going outside. There is nothing wrong with playing on your computer/xbox/playstation/etc from time to time, but that shouldn't take over your life completely.
I have also played Fifa a couple of times, but I'd never choose that over actual/real football outdoor.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Other forms of entertainment have definitely hit grass roots snooker. Other factors contribute, and many snooker halls did not move to meet a new market.

If you want to play snooker as a youngster now you may struggle to find a table and will definitely struggle to find competition unless you live in a big town or city.

Shame really.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:I mean, the concept of being a 'real man' is bullocks, obviously. But even if it weren't, I don't think modern footballers can exactly be held up as the paragon!

Agreed.

Cristiano Ronaldo is a very talented football player, but I wouldn't hold him up as the stereotypical image of masculinity. <laugh>

I don't agree with this 'real man' stuff either. But the way some of this lot dive around and play-act is embarrassing. I saw an England woman's game once, where the goalkeeper played on for a while after breaking her leg. In the men's game, a gnat farts three miles away, and it's "Aaaaah, I'm dead" rolling all over the floor.

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Other forms of entertainment have definitely hit grass roots snooker. Other factors contribute, and many snooker halls did not move to meet a new market.

If you want to play snooker as a youngster now you may struggle to find a table and will definitely struggle to find competition unless you live in a big town or city.

Shame really.

We chat about this often don't we. Last time I said: 'reminds me of veteran pool player Earl 'the Pearl' Strickland moaning about the prize money going down in pool. Who is he moaning at exactly? The dissolution of culture due to the internet / social media / streaming thereby reducing viewing figures for all forms of entertainment?'

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Other forms of entertainment have definitely hit grass roots snooker. Other factors contribute, and many snooker halls did not move to meet a new market.

Shame really.

Yeah agreed. Also the environment of snooker halls doesn't help. They're very much seen as a man's domain where kids won't necessarily feel welcomed. They're basically pubs that have snooker tables.

I'm sure if snooker halls were designed that were catered more towards child-friendliness that would help.

Also, the number of times I've gone to a snooker/billiard hall while there's a snooker tournament on and instead they're showing the football... if the management aren't interested in the game, how can they expect punters to be?

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

Michael Holt @hitmanholt
Not very often I’m impressed but the way David Gilbert played against me all day yesterday was top drawer.

Also had a max.

Best part was as we were having our pre session cuppa he said...

“I’m gone at the minute Holty”

He’s not gone.

#ProperPlayer #BallStriking

Postby masterdoctorgenius

SnookerFan wrote:TWITTER ATTACK!

Michael Holt @hitmanholt
Not very often I’m impressed but the way David Gilbert played against me all day yesterday was top drawer.

Also had a max.

Best part was as we were having our pre session cuppa he said...

“I’m gone at the minute Holty”

He’s not gone.

#ProperPlayer #BallStriking

when did they play?

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Robbo has won a tournament every year since his first in 2006, usually early in the season.

True, but TR is right. Robbo should have won more WC's than Selbo since he's got more raw ability, yet that hasn't happened.

What does Raw ability mean?

it means rubbish just look at Tony Drago or Jimmy White even Talent alone is never enough you got to be dedicated and discaplined.

Postby Wildey

masterdoctorgenius wrote:Tough draw for ROS at the EO

Maflin in the 1st round, Judd and John Higgins in his half.

look at the plus side Jimmy White is there too <ok>

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Robbo has won a tournament every year since his first in 2006, usually early in the season.

True, but TR is right. Robbo should have won more WC's than Selbo since he's got more raw ability, yet that hasn't happened.

it means rubbish just look at Tony Drago or Jimmy White even Talent alone is never enough you got to be dedicated and discaplined.

I think you know what TR meant... Robbo really should have won more than just 1 World Title by now...

I know life is not about 'should have' but yes I do think Robbo should have been more disciplined..

He's that sort of player who could 'easily' win the amount of World Titles Selby has.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

I think you know what TR meant... Robbo really should have won more than just 1 World Title by now...

I know life is not about 'should have' but yes I do think Robbo should have been more disciplined..

He's that sort of player who could 'easily' win the amount of World Titles Selby has.

Why should he have won more world titles? He was extremely fortunate to win the one that he did, anymore would have been an overachievement. One title is about right for someone of Robertson's ability, imo.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
Why should he have won more world titles? He was extremely fortunate to win the one that he did, anymore would have been an overachievement. One title is about right for someone of Robertson's ability, imo.

Robbo's best game is superior to that of Trump and Selby, you could see that at the 2014 and 2015 Worlds, but he wasnt consistent enough to do it.

What you win is what you get I know... but still...

Postby TheRocket

Just for clarification and why I said he should have won more. I've seen many matches of Robbo over the last 4-5 years and at his best he can play to an extremely high level and at times he looks unplayable.

Thats something I could only say about peak O'Sullivan or peak Higgins of all the current players.

Robertson at his best is a breakbuilding machine who scores for fun and heavier than anyone else (alongside ROS). He's a fantastic long potter and at his best the best in the business imo.

He has more cuepower than anyone else (together with Trump) and a big advantage in power shots.

And his tactical and safety game is up there with the very best. He proved that tons of times against Selby and Higgins and he has a good record against both.

So yes. He should have won more with his ability and very high peak level but he hasn't. Thats how it is.

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:Just for clarification and why I said he should have won more. I've seen many matches of Robbo over the last 4-5 years and at his best he can play to an extremely high level and at times he looks unplayable.

Thats something I could only say about peak O'Sullivan or peak Higgins of all the current players.

Robertson at his best is a breakbuilding machine who scores for fun and heavier than anyone else (alongside ROS). He's a fantastic long potter and at his best the best in the business imo.

He has more cuepower than anyone else (together with Trump) and a big advantage in power shots.

And his tactical and safety game is up there with the very best. He proved that tons of times against Selby and Higgins and he has a good record against both.

So yes. He should have won more with his ability and very high peak level but he hasn't. Thats how it is.

I Dont rate Robbo as a Breakbuilder in the Ronnie, Hendry or Higgins class Ding and Selby are actually better Breakbuilders than Robertson But hes been fantastic at recovery pots to carry a break on the problem with that is if you strugle with your game then you miss opertunities.

Unlike Selby Robertson has to be near his best to compete.