Post a reply

Re: D88.com German Masters Last 16 !!

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Yuan was lucky imo. An experienced ref like Verhaas or Collier might have called a foul there. Handshake or not. But I'm pretty sure they would have waited and watched closely that cue ball travelling towards the rest.

Ref called "frame and the match" as soon as he potted the black, which is a mistake, should have waited a bit longer.

Postby Cloud Strife

TheRocket wrote:Yuan was lucky imo. An experienced ref like Verhaas or Collier might have called a foul there. Handshake or not. But I'm pretty sure they would have waited and watched closely that cue ball travelling towards the rest.

It was a blatant foul and should have been called, imo.

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:Weak reffing not to call the foul there when he noiced? Or in keeping with the spirit of the game?

Personally my view on this is "rules is rules" but I wonder whether the handshake has officially brought an end to the match and the ref at that point couldn't pull things back even if he wanted to.

Are you around Andre? What are your thoughts?

First of all, this is a foul, as the cue ball didnt stop moving, so it would have gone to a respotted black in this case.

However, despite many of you not seeing that ref on TV too often, he is an experienced referee, just not so on TV too much.

It was a mistake no doubt, in this case a very costly one. The handshake has nothing to do with it, ref should have called the Foul 7.

Thanks for the info Andre :hatoff: I just wondered if the handshake signalled Higgins' concession and therefore the foul couldn't be called after that had happened.

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:Weak reffing not to call the foul there when he noiced? Or in keeping with the spirit of the game?

Personally my view on this is "rules is rules" but I wonder whether the handshake has officially brought an end to the match and the ref at that point couldn't pull things back even if he wanted to.

First of all, this is a foul, as the cue ball didnt stop moving, so it would have gone to a respotted black in this case.

However, despite many of you not seeing that ref on TV too often, he is an experienced referee, just not so on TV too much.

It was a mistake no doubt, in this case a very costly one. The handshake has nothing to do with it, ref should have called the Foul 7.

Thanks for the info Andre :hatoff: I just wondered if the handshake signalled Higgins' concession and therefore the foul couldn't be called after that had happened.

Players arent at fault if the referee doesnt notice a Foul.

Postby Iranu

That's not what I mean Andre. I totally agree that the ref should have waited to see if the white hit the rest before calling frame and match.

I was wondering if, once he had failed to do that, he couldn't then call the foul after the handshake because Higgins had already 'conceded' the frame and match. Or would he be able to withdraw the awarding of the frame and match after the handshake and call the foul if he wanted to?

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:That's not what I mean Andre. I totally agree that the ref should have waited to see if the white hit the rest before calling frame and match.

I was wondering if, once he had failed to do that, he couldn't then call the foul after the handshake because Higgins had already 'conceded' the frame and match. Or would he be able to withdraw the awarding of the frame and match after the handshake and call the foul if he wanted to?

He could revert that decision yes. Higgins did the hanshake becausr the ref called frame and the match. If he had waited a bit longer and keep an eye on the cue ball, maybe Higgins would have noticed too.

But yes, even with the handshake, if the referee wanted to he could easily say he made a mistake and play would still continue.

Postby Iranu

Thanks Andre :hatoff:

I remember Michaela Tabb failing to call a foul at the end of a 90+ break when the cue ball went in off potting the final black. Obviously didn't matter so much in that case.

Postby TheRocket

imagine if the ref had called the foul. Higgins might have won the respotted black and went on to win the tournament. lol. But we'll never know anyway.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:See, this is why we need Andre refereeing televised matches.

Maybe one day... working on it.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:imagine if the ref had called the foul. Higgins might have won the respotted black and went on to win the tournament. lol. But we'll never know anyway.

rofl knowing Higgins that's exactly what would have happened.

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:

We should have an SI meetup if that ever happens.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:imagine if the ref had called the foul. Higgins might have won the respotted black and went on to win the tournament. lol. But we'll never know anyway.

Or Yuan would still win the respotted black.

We'll never know. What we know is ref made a mistake.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

We should have an SI meetup if that ever happens.

Seconded.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:

once a player shakes hands then its effectively a concession of the match

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:

I'm sure you'd do a great job. Because you do love the sport. Sure a few other refs probably do as well but at the same there must be few who only view or treat is as a normal job.

Not sure how the system works but I hope you and many other younger refs get a fair chance.

I'm still amazed though that someone like Leo Scullion is allowed to be the ref in a World semi final. Not just once but even multiple times.