Post a reply

Re: Paul Hunter Classic !!!

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:What the buck is the big deal with having previous edition counted as ranking titles? Tournaments went from non-ranking to ranking all the time. Never once heard this argument until this week. The Irish Masters was going 25 years before it was made a ranking event. Hey, let's give Steve Davis another eight ranking titles because it became a ranking event after his win.

They're pussies.

Yeah. I don't get why everyone is suddenly whining about it suddenly.

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:What the buck is the big deal with having previous edition counted as ranking titles? Tournaments went from non-ranking to ranking all the time. Never once heard this argument until this week. The Irish Masters was going 25 years before it was made a ranking event. Hey, let's give Steve Davis another eight ranking titles because it became a ranking event after his win.

They're pussies.

Because it's easier to deflect than admit you weren't fussed going.

Postby Cloud Strife

They're pussies.

You can expect to hear it again after the Shanghai Masters. No doubt you'll get some clown querying the SM's lack of ranking status and about how life is so unfair because it won't count on their CV as a proper ranking win.

It's always the usual moaners.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pink Ball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

They're pussies.

Because it's easier to deflect than admit you weren't fussed going.

I agree with this

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Carter needs another shoulder barge.

GBH

Exactly.

I wouldn't wish such treatment on my worst enemy.

Postby Pink Ball

When you're playing in a tournament that has full ranking status, the pressure is immediately greater just because of that status. The Masters is the only exception.

I have no idea how many titles Ronnie O'Sullivan has won in his career. Same with Stephen Hendry. Same with Davis, Higgins, Williams, Wattana, Stevens, Dunn, Greene,any bloody player.

I know exactly how many ranking titles they've all won.

Because, whether rightly or wrongly, we all look at ranking titles as one of the first factors when we're measuring greatness.

I often hear people bemoaning that Matthew Stevens won only one ranking title. Off the top of my head, he also won quite a few top-class invitationals. The Masters, Scottish Masters, Northern Ireland trophy. Nobody seems to care about that.

And, in my opinion, rightly so. We put so much emphasis on ranking titles that getting over the line is tougher in them than in non-ranking events. See what happened David Gilbert two weeks ago? Yupeng last year? I think those kinds of collapses would have been far less likely even in a top invitational such as the Champion of Champions.

If those non-ranking Hunter Classics had ranking status, the players who won them may have differed from what actually happened. How would Barry Pinches have reacted when he could finally break his duck? The pressure would have been so much greater.

If you won a PHC without having to face the pressure of adding to your tally of ranking titles, then you didn't win a ranking event. Simple as.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:Stunned Matthew Stevens isn't playing.

Is booze expensive over there?

He was disappointed about the ranking event status.

Postby Dan-cat

They're pussies.

+1

Nice media storm now that the season is about to begin.

Postby Iranu

Hey, is that a mountain over there?

Oh, no. It's just a mole hill.

Postby The_Abbott

Did players get paid for a minor ranking event? = Yes
Did players get paid for a ranking event? = yes

Case closed.

They got paid for doing the job at the time. I can't go back to the garage with my car and say "OI I bought this 3 years ago, same model, same year and now its £2000 less. I want a refund.

Postby Alex0paul

I am sure a future employer won't care if the Paul Hunter Classic is on their CV or not

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pink Ball wrote:Cloud Strife banned for two weeks he tells me

I must take this opportunity to confess that I have also received a warning with regards to some recent events that I involved myself in. I do not wish to excuse my behaviour in any way and I want to make it clear to all members that I have learnt my lesson. I have been advised that any repeat behaviour will result in a ban.

I would like to make it clear to all members that I have been treated with respect and compassion at all stages by the relevant moderators whilst the investigation was under way. I feel fortunate to not have my membership suspended and look forward to being able to make amends in the future by contributing positively towards the content of the forum.

Best regards

BSP

Postby Holden Chinaski

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Cloud Strife banned for two weeks he tells me

I must take this opportunity to confess that I have also received a warning with regards to some recent events that I involved myself in. I do not wish to excuse my behaviour in any way and I want to make it clear to all members that I have learnt my lesson. I have been advised that any repeat behaviour will result in a ban.

I would like to make it clear to all members that I have been treated with respect and compassion at all stages by the relevant moderators whilst the investigation was under way. I feel fortunate to not have my membership suspended and look forward to being able to make amends in the future by contributing positively towards the content of the forum.

Best regards

BSP

Reported.

Postby Ronnie79

Deewee wrote:Milkins and others saying on twitter that they're going to make this event a top 16 invitational most likely next year. A shame if so

Who are the other players along with Milkins that are claiming it will be a 16 man invitational ?

Postby Wildey

World Snooker and Barry Hearn are responsable for this farce on twitter.

Of course players are going to question the event its a bloody PTC however its now counted towards Ranking Tournament wins.

I Think there should be different cattagories

Major Tournaments Won (World, UK and Masters)
Major Ranking Events Won (Minimum 17 frame final)
Minor Ranking Tournaments won

Neil Robertson
Majors 4
Major Rankers 9
Minor Rankers 6

Stephen Hendry
Majors 18
Major Rankers 24
Minor Rankers 0

etc etc

its ridicilous that making a list up that has Anthony McGill level with Graeme Dott in terms of ranking events won considering McGill's consists of India Open and Shootout. or Michael Georgiou level with Terry Griffiths and Joe Johnson.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

The ShootOut is the problem.

As Pinball said in his excellent earlier post, "If you won a PHC without having to face the pressure of adding to your tally of ranking titles, then you didn't win a ranking event."

The Shootout stands out from any other tournament. The problem is not so much the money contributing towards a player's ranking rather that their career record shows they have won a ranker. I think Georgiou would agree.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:The ShootOut is the problem.

As Pinball said in his excellent earlier post, "If you won a PHC without having to face the pressure of adding to your tally of ranking titles, then you didn't win a ranking event."

The Shootout stands out from any other tournament. The problem is not so much the money contributing towards a player's ranking rather that their career record shows they have won a ranker. I think Georgiou would agree.

McGill did when he won it.

Postby Wildey

Pink Ball wrote:Life goes on.

Thats the thing you see.

Barry Hearn is banking on everyone having that perspective so when he decides to cut the World Championship down to Best of 17s up to the final and a Best of 19 frame final.

"Life Goes On"

there is no point crying over spilt milk when that happens.

no matter what he does players and fans make a lot of noise but where we have not much power the players have and they do nothing so he moves on to the next thing and next thing.

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Life goes on.

Thats the thing you see.

Barry Hearn is banking on everyone having that perspective so when he decides to cut the World Championship down to Best of 17s up to the final and a Best of 19 frame final.

"Life Goes On"

there is no point crying over spilt milk when that happens.

no matter what he does players and fans make a lot of noise but where we have not much power the players have and they do nothing so he moves on to the next thing and next thing.

No, I just don't think it matters all that much which tournaments have ranking status, aside from the shootout. It's just not something that gets my blood boiling.