Post a reply

Re: Paul Hunter Classic !!!

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Dan, great news! It's a testament to how much I enjoy this forum that I genuinely feel a spring in my step after hearing this news

snake hiss off.

You're the greatest trumper I know

I revel in being an blue frog.

Clearly. A disgusting person.

Postby eraserhead

Twitter Attack!

@KyrenWilson
I entered the #PaulHunterClassic to remember a great player who inspired me to play snooker it’s not always about the money, it’s a shame some of the lads who were about when Paul was couldn’t be bothered to enter...bonus is I’m now in champion of champions as a result of it

MJW arguing in the comments <laugh>

Postby Deewee

Kyren sounds like a hammer, like being willing to lose money to go play in a small event is a sign of respect for Paul

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I disagree Deewee. Some things are worth losing a few quid for. This tournament needed big names to survive and they didn't bother. It is a sign of respect as it means a lot to his folks. Just my opinion.

Postby SnookerFan

I can see both sides.

Nobody should be forced to enter, nor do I think those who didn't enter are disrespectful.

On saying that, I like Kyren's stance. He entered and paid respect to a great player. Sounded a bit sanctimonious, maybe. But I admire his intention to show respect.

Postby Pink Ball

Wilson is dead right. Now, I'm sure some players did have valid reasons, but I have no doubt most of them didn't.

The other side of this is that World Snooker have not given it the respect it deserves and not making it attractive to players. I couldn't care less about the other PTC-style events such as Gibraltar and Latvia, but o always enjoyed this one. It has history and is named after a very good player who sadly passed away too soon.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Pink Ball wrote:The other side of this is that World Snooker have not given it the respect it deserves and not making it attractive to players. I couldn't care less about the other PTC-style events such as Gibraltar and Latvia, but o always enjoyed this one. It has history and is named after a very good player who sadly passed away too soon.

Indeed! :hatoff:

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:I can see both sides.

Nobody should be forced to enter, nor do I think those who didn't enter are disrespectful.

On saying that, I like Kyren's stance. He entered and paid respect to a great player. Sounded a bit sanctimonious, maybe. But I admire his intention to show respect.

Like you, I can see both sides to this debate.

Wilson entered and won, and in his mind felt that he was able to honour Paul Hunter which is commendable. At the same time, I don't see why he feels the need to take the high and mighty stance over those that didnt go.

I don't buy into the notion that not playing in this is somehow disrespecting Hunter. Everyone shows respect in their own way, so the dig was slightly out of order from Wilson, imo.

Postby Holden Chinaski

This tournament probably means a lot to Paul's family. If no big name players enter it the tournament might get cancelled. That alone is a good enough reason for entering it, in my opinion.

Postby SnookerFan

Shaun Murphy is good at that sort of thing.

He'll say something you agree with, but phrases it in such a way that you disagree with him.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I can see both sides.

Like you, I can see both sides to this debate.

Wilson entered and won, and in his mind felt that he was able to honour Paul Hunter which is commendable. At the same time, I don't see why he feels the need to take the high and mighty stance over those that didnt go.

I don't buy into the notion that not playing in this is somehow disrespecting Hunter. Everyone shows respect in their own way, so the dig was slightly out of order from Wilson, imo.

A bit strong, perhaps, and maybe it's not fair on some players. But I still think the guy has a point.
Last edited by Pink Ball on 27 Aug 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pink Ball

Holden Chinaski wrote:This tournament probably means a lot to Paul's family. If no big name players enter it the tournament might get cancelled. That alone is a good enough reason for entering it, in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree. But World Snooker should also be making it a much bigger deal than it is.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Pink Ball wrote:But World Snooker should also be making it a much bigger deal than it is.

Definitely. I can't understand why World Snooker doesn't make the tournament more attractive for players to enter. Shame on them.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:This tournament probably means a lot to Paul's family. If no big name players enter it the tournament might get cancelled. That alone is a good enough reason for entering it, in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree. But World Snooker should also be making it a much bigger deal than it is.

Agreed.

Postby Pink Ball

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:But World Snooker should also be making it a much bigger deal than it is.

Definitely. I can't understand why World Snooker doesn't make the tournament more attractive for players to enter. Shame on them.

I wouldn't go so far as to say shame on them. I'm sure they do respect Hunter's memory. They've just mismanaged this, that's all.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I think that World Snooker are partly to blame, but some of the top players do bear some responsibility.

They did not go because they felt the money was not worth it. (Happy to be corrected if anybody knows better)

Kyren did go, but neither needs the money nor the ranking that goes with it.

So what is the difference in thinking between Kyren and MJW etc. Unless I am missing something it is either apathy or a lack of respect. Neither is a credit to those players.

Postby eraserhead

SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Agreed.

Also agree, if they want to honour Paul with a tournament in his name it should be one that top players want to attend. Also a bit disappointed Kyren chose to have a pop at other players after a tournament win, it's good that players have the option to skip certain events now, just a shame this is one of them.

Postby Pink Ball

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I think that World Snooker are partly to blame, but some of the top players do bear some responsibility.

They did not go because they felt the money was not worth it. (Happy to be corrected if anybody knows better)

So what is the difference in thinking between Kyren and MJW etc. Unless I am missing something it is either apathy or a lack of respect. Neither is a credit to those players.

I agree with you. For the most part, let's be honest, players couldn't be fussed.

Postby SnookerFan

It is a player's living, and the prize money wasn't enough.

It's easy to say; "It's not about the money", but what about those lower done the rankings and whatnot?

It's not a black and white issue, and World Snooker need to do more to promote it.

Postby eraserhead

Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:I think that World Snooker are partly to blame, but some of the top players do bear some responsibility.

I agree with you. For the most part, let's be honest, players couldn't be fussed.

I would say it's an awkward part of the calendar as well but to the very top players it's not worth them spending a weekend on this for the money and points on offer, when it's going to get very busy soon in the season and most have qualified for tournaments like champion of champions etc.

Postby Sickpotter

Pink Ball wrote:

Paul was a great player but IMO the money is reasonable and there are ranking points attached, not sure what else can be done to make it more attractive.

I disagree with Kyrens tweet which is little more than moral posturing, I've got zero time to pay attention to those engaging in it.

I also think suggesting you only won an event because other players couldn't be bothered to attend shows that you lack self confidence and believe yourself to be incapable of competing against the best.

Postby SnookerFan

eraserhead wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

I would say it's an awkward part of the calendar as well but to the very top players it's not worth them spending a weekend on this for the money and points on offer, when it's going to get very busy soon in the season and most have qualified for tournaments like champion of champions etc.

:goodpost:

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:

There's nothing wrong with not being fussed. It's a valid reason for skipping this.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

There's nothing wrong with not being fussed. It's a valid reason for skipping this.

I don't really think it is. Although I'd have more respect for someone who comes straight out and says he couldn't be fussed rather than pretending otherwise.

Postby Pink Ball

Sickpotter wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Paul was a great player but IMO the money is reasonable and there are ranking points attached, not sure what else can be done to make it more attractive.

I disagree with Kyrens tweet which is little more than moral posturing, I've got zero time to pay attention to those engaging in it.

Whether it had Hunter's name on it or not, this was always a well-liked event. It had a nice format. It attracted more amateurs than any other top event. I think there's room for one big ranking event that is a proper pro-am. And by that I mean have loads of pros and amateurs (ensure the former by having a lot of ranking points and good prize money).

It is by far the most likely candidate to be something like the well-respected UK Open in Darts, a proper FA Cup-style event. It's played in a country that has huge potential for snooker, the event is well-established and has history, and the whole thing has massive potential. Potential that is not being met.

Postby Deewee

Milkins and others saying on twitter that they're going to make this event a top 16 invitational most likely next year. A shame if so