Post a reply

Kaspersky Riga Masters !!!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Friday 27th- Sunday 29th of July at the Arena Riga, Latvia

Defending a title for the first time will be Ryan Day. 2017/2018 season was the most productive season ever for the Welsh winning 8 tournaments in total between Ryan, Michael White and of course World Champion Mark Williams.

With all 3 plus Jamie Jones and Lee Walker in Riga can they start this season in the same vein?

DRAW

Selected Last 64 Matches
Robbie Williams v Lukas Kleckers
Nigel Bond v Zhao Xintong
Kurt Maflin v Liang Wenbo
Li Yuan v Neil Robertson
Barr Hawkins v Li Hang
Michael White v David Gilbert
Joe Perry v Robert Milkins
Stephen Maguire v Geard Greene
Liam Highfield v Michael Holt
Xiao Guodong v Marco Fu
Mark Davis v Luca Brecel
Oliver Lines v Alfie Burden
Ian Burns v Jack Lisowski

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Kaspersky Riga Masters !!!!

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Yeah, why don’t they transfer the name? Rename the UK or something?

They did renamw The Masters trophy.

Only a year or several after he died.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I'm kind of with Wildey, on that one.

It's a shame that the Paul Hunter Classic receives so little attention these days.

2015 Paul Hunter Classic part of PTC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLlIo_CWLU0

2016 Paul Hunter Classic Ranking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNe0vyR2vRQ

Both streams without Commentators but it looked professional in 2015 and yet the 2016 one was a full ranking tournament.

Just BIZARRE

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Cloud Strife wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Anyone fancy Mark Davis for this?

No

Fair enough but you've put your neck on the line a bit there. Wouldn't want to be the one wiping egg of your face. Davis is dangerous in these events.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:

It's a shame that the Paul Hunter Classic receives so little attention these days.

2015 Paul Hunter Classic part of PTC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLlIo_CWLU0

Both streams without Commentators but it looked professional in 2015 and yet the 2016 one was a full ranking tournament.

Just BIZARRE

They reversed things didnt they... when it looked like a professional event, even Ronnie, who goes to very little of these events, entered them, it wasn't a ranking event...

Now it is a ranking event but it doesn't look professional enough, with some top players skipping it, unlike in the past.
Last edited by Andre147 on 18 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

Who's watching this Riga Masters?

I might have a peek when it's on, but Snooker during the summer just doesnt work for me.

The season only really begins for me mid September/beggining of October.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:

Just BIZARRE

When you put them together like that... :shock:

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Does anybody think that the full tour should be obliged to enter all events (exceptional circumstances notwithstanding)?

That's ridiculous.

At best they should be obliged to enter the big events, like Worlds, Masters (if applicable), UK, IC and China Champs.

The rest they should be free to choose whether to enter or not.

Postby Gridlock

Andre147 wrote:Who's watching this Riga Masters?

I might have a peek when it's on, but Snooker during the summer just doesnt work for me.

The season only really begins for me mid September/beggining of October.

I will most certainly be finding any and every way to watch it. I am really jonesing for snooker.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Does anybody think that the full tour should be obliged to enter all events (exceptional circumstances notwithstanding)?

Maybe back when there was six events, not now.

Besides, just because a few top-16ers drop out, don't mean the PHC shouldn't be televised.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Andre147 wrote:

That's ridiculous.

At best they should be obliged to enter the big events, like Worlds, Masters (if applicable), UK, IC and China Champs.

The rest they should be free to choose whether to enter or not.

It was a question so why is it ridiculous?

I am not saying that it should happen but why would it not be feasible for each player to enter all events? I can't really see a huge problem with it in principle and I would like to understand.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:It was a question so why is it ridiculous?

I am not saying that it should happen but why would it not be feasible for each player to enter all events? I can't really see a huge problem with it in principle and I would like to understand.

Nothing is wrong with it, in principle. And there's nothing preventing any player entering each tournament, if they so choose.

Most of them choose not to. Bear in mind, there are tournaments every week, and the tournaments now stretches across Europe, and has many tournaments in China, with one in India. Also players have families. Players are human, and would get tired/jetlagged from all the flying around week in, week out. And want to spend time with their wives/kids/whoever.

Nothing you can really do to force players to enter. You could try fining them, but they already forfeit any potential prize money by not entering the tournaments. Also, the more ranking tournaments they miss, the more they risk falling down the rankings.

Bottom line it's up to each player to decide when to enter, and when to rest/spend time on the practice table. They're the ones who live or die by those decisions, and the higher they're ranked or the more they earn, the more luxury they have to pick and choose.

Postby SnookerFan

Personally, I don't care that much about who enters and who doesn't when it's something like the Paul Hunter Classic. The matches in that tournament are wall-to-wall, one-after-the-other.

It's more about being able to tune in at a time that's convenient to see whoever is playing play. There's going to be snooker on most of the weekend. It's not about finding specific players you like, and tuning in for their game.

Postby Gridlock

SnookerFan wrote:Personally, I don't care that much about who enters and who doesn't when it's something like the Paul Hunter Classic. The matches in that tournament are wall-to-wall, one-after-the-other.

It's more about being able to tune in at a time that's convenient to see whoever is playing play. There's going to be snooker on most of the weekend. It's not about finding specific players you like, and tuning in for their game.

I'm so ready for snooker that I would watch Ebdon, Fergal, and Rod the Plod in a three way!

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Gridlock wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Personally, I don't care that much about who enters and who doesn't when it's something like the Paul Hunter Classic. The matches in that tournament are wall-to-wall, one-after-the-other.

I'm so ready for snooker that I would watch Ebdon, Fergal, and Rod the Plod in a three way!

rofl rofl

I've been reminiscing with a bit of Drago on YouTube.

Hoping this will be a great season.

Postby Wildey

Snooker has it all wrong.

its about Promoting Stars of the Future so that the general public has connection with them and sticking tournaments without top players on Player not helpful at all.

Also too many matches shown on stream where its Legends that are past it instead of promoting the future.

all that is detrimental to snooker going forward im in shock Barry Hearn cant see that if im honest

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Wildey wrote:Snooker has it all wrong.

its about Promoting Stars of the Future so that the general public has connection with them and sticking tournaments without top players on Player not helpful at all.

Also too many matches shown on stream where its Legends that are past it instead of promoting the future.

all that is detrimental to snooker going forward im in shock Barry Hearn cant see that if im honest

Totally agree.

It's all about making the buck now rather than investing in the future of the sport.

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:Snooker has it all wrong.

Snooker is in the toilet facility when it comes to young players. I believe Jack Lisowski is far more talented than Kyren Wilson, but Wilson, who I believe to be modestly gifted, is the one who is set to be the next big thing. Because he's the guy who's working hard -- and fair play to him. But we're not developing talented players at the grassroots to become competitors.

I believe Wildey is right on this point also, and it feeds into my belief that World Snooker and Hearn are being incredibly short-sighted about the game's long-term future.

Postby Andre147

Wilson is the best of the young brigade.

Might not be the most exciting, but is certainly the most consistent of them all.

I agree that in what concerns young talents, Snooker has never hit such a low point like it is now.