Post a reply

Juss Sports Shanghai Masters Semi-Finals

Postby Andre147

Image Image Image
Monday 13th - Saturday 18th of November at the Shanghai Grand Stage, China

Semi-Finals time and the one table setup. First up we have Jack Lisowski, who seems to have finally found some good results in order to fulfill his amazing talent, he's up against good friend Judd Trump, who in 20 frames played in this tournament, has won them all, which is quite impressive if you consider he had Stephen Maguire and Luca Brecel in the 2 previous rounds. Lisowski won their latest meeting, but the Semi-Finals of a big ranking event is totally diferent. Can he overcome Trump again, or will Trump reach his 3rd Shanghai Masters Final?

The other Semi-Final is the clash of the titans once more, in their 4th meeting already this season. Legends John Higgins v Ronnie O'Sullivan, the latter who won all 3 meetings this season so far and gave Higgins a thrashing of 6-0 at the CoC last week. It's their 64th match, and the all time record stands between Stephen Hendry and Steve Davis with 66 meetings, so Higgins and O'Sullivan ever closer to the biggest h2h in Snooker.

Who shall win their Semi-Final match, book a place in the Final and be one match away from the big £150,000 top prize?

Semi-Finals

Jack Lisowski v Judd Trump Lisowski leads 4-3
John Higgins v Ronnie O'Sullivan O'Sullivan leads 33-27

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Juss Sports Shanghai Masters Semi-Finals

Postby Andre147

Happy that the Ronnie v Higgins match is at 11:30, otherwise don't think I would wake up that early.

I think Trump wins his match, might even win confortably. Seems very motivated for this.

As for the other one... Higgins surely wants some sweet revenge from his thrashing last week so this match has all the makings of being a close affair this time around.

Just thought that Higgins and Ronnie actually met here in 2009, Ronnie won easily 6-1. He went on to win the Title of course. Hopefully the same again this year :-D

Postby Andre147

Dan-cat wrote:I'm still surprised the Ronnie and Higgins aren't more equal in their h2h.

don't forget some of that includes Premier league and CL... if take those out Higgins actually leads I think, but not by much.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

SnookerFan wrote:Had Judd not conceded a frame yet?

Nope.

If he wins the tournament he will be a winner of having dropped the least frames.

Tournament winners without dropping a frame were

Bond, Hawkins, Gould, Dale, White, Hull and McGill.

Yeah you guessed right, it was the Shoot out even lol

Postby Andre147

He hasn't yes.

Played Alfie Burden, Woollaston, Maguire and Brecel, won 5-0 all of them. In the qualifiers he conceded 2 frames against Swail, but here no frames lost yet.

Should he somehow win 6-0 or 6-1 tomorrow, must be some sort of record.

Postby TheRocket

I've also been quick to give Lisowski no chance to win tomorrow but on the other hand It's never been easy to play against a good pal and a guy who you always practice with. Those kind of matches always seem to go scrappy. Not sure whether Trump will play as well as he did against Luca.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

TheRocket wrote:I've also been quick to give Lisowski no chance to win tomorrow but on the other hand It's never been easy to play against a good pal and a guy who you always practice with. Those kind of matches always seem to go scrappy. Not sure whether Trump will play as well as he did against Luca.

Would be good to know how Trump will react when he loses his first frame and gets behind?

Andre, how do you see the El Clasico tomorrow going?

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:I've also been quick to give Lisowski no chance to win tomorrow but on the other hand It's never been easy to play against a good pal and a guy who you always practice with. Those kind of matches always seem to go scrappy. Not sure whether Trump will play as well as he did against Luca.

You're right. In the Luca match, Trump was fired up to beat him, after what happened last week.

Against Liswoski might be totally diferent. Still expect Trump to win it though.

Postby Andre147

masterdoctorgenius wrote:

Would be good to know how Trump will react when he loses his first frame and gets behind?

Andre, how do you see the El Clasico tomorrow going?

Much like Trump today, Higgins might be fired up to beat Ronnie after last week. But I still think Ronnie may have too much for him. 6-4 win for him I say.

Postby eraserhead

I didn't think Lisowski would challenge him at the English open, but I was proven wrong. To get to a final is a different test. The pressure will all be on Lisowski this time, but good to see him reaching these stages of tournaments.

Postby eraserhead

Andre147 wrote:Much like Trump today, Higgins might be fired up to beat Ronnie after last week. But I still think Ronnie may have too much for him. 6-4 win for him I say.

Obviously want Ronnie to reach the final but I'd love to see how Judd handles Higgins over two sessions. It would be a good test for Judd as he has always struggled to beat Higgins in longer matches.

Postby Dan-cat

masterdoctorgenius wrote:

Nope.

If he wins the tournament he will be a winner of having dropped the least frames.

Tournament winners without dropping a frame were

Bond, Hawkins, Gould, Dale, White, Hull and McGill.

Yeah you guessed right, it was the Shoot out even lol

Hahaha this should have been in the quiz

Postby Andre147

masterdoctorgenius wrote:I wanna see how Ronnie plays when it gets and tight like 4-4, 4-5 down, decider.

How will he respond cause all the matches he played he was put under no pressure.

He responded very well at the English Open when Higgins and McGill put pressure on him.

And even against Murphy at 9-5 down he didn't give up and could so easily have gone to a decider.

Postby Andre147

Ronnie said this post-match:

"I haven’t done well at events in China in the last few years so this season I wanted to make the tournaments in China the most important of the season, because I’ve had such good support here over the years and I owe the fans."

Well it's very true what he says, this is his first semi-final in China since he won this tournament in 2009, so given that Shanghai is a city he loves, hopefully he'll win this title again.

Postby Andy Spark

5-0 all the way? That is a very interesting stat!

However, if a certain Selby had got to a ranking semi in a best of 9 event without conceding a frame it would have surpassed interesting and probably probably rendered me unconscious, such is his reputation for losing early frames...err...I mean reputation for brinkmanship. So Thank Goodness you said it was Trump! :-)

Postby Alex0paul

Trump would have to win 6-0 then go 5-0 up in the final to break the record for frames won in a row in a single tournament

Postby Andy Spark

Alex0paul wrote:Trump would have to win 6-0 then go 5-0 up in the final to break the record for frames won in a row in a single tournament

What's the record for consecutive frames won in a ranking tournament?