Post a reply

Re: Shanghai Masters back on

Postby SnookerFan

I tweeted Barry Hearn the other day, asking what the status was of the Shanghai Masters. He, of course, never replied.

Personally, I think the World Open showed how successful / entertaining a standard best of nine ranking tournament can be.

Edit Corrected my earlier mistype. <ok>
Last edited by SnookerFan on 25 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:I tweeted Barry Hearn the other day, asking what the status was of the World Open. He, of course, never replied.

Personally, I think the World Open showed how successful / entertaining a standard best of nine ranking tournament can be.

That surprises me - or are you being sarcastic...

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:That surprises me - or are you being sarcastic...

Sorry. Mistyped. I asked him about the state of play of the Shanghai Masters, and he didn't get back to me.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I meant that I thought you did not like BO9

I like best of nines. Or at least I do compared to best of seven matches.

I always enjoyed the old school tournaments with bo9 all the way through, but at the same time I always said they were the minimum they should be.

I said before that I thought it was a shame that best of nines were considered long matches these days. By that, I meant it was a shame the bo7s were more common.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:

I always enjoyed the old school tournaments with bo9 all the way through, but at the same time I always said they were the minimum they should be.

I said before that I thought it was a shame that best of nines were considered long matches these days. By that, I meant it was a shame the bo7s were more common.

Not only that but i feel the excitement is missing to a degree when theres no interval.

if you play a match straight through i find it a bit flat and when players go 2-0 up you do get this feeling the match will be over in 30 minutes.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Not only that but i feel the excitement is missing to a degree when theres no interval.

if you play a match straight through i find it a bit flat and when players go 2-0 up you do get this feeling the match will be over in 30 minutes.

I used to find best of nines a bit flat, but I don't mind them so much now as they feel like somewhat of a rarity these days.

What I'd really love is another tournament with multi-session matches throughout like the UK used to be. Obviously I'm preaching to the converted on here as I'm sure the vast majority of us would love to see another multi-session tournament, but it won't happen because Hearn reckons we are in the minority.

I just don't understand why a promoter somewhere (China?) doesn't step up and organize something because there is a massive gap in the market and nobody is filling it.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I used to find best of nines a bit flat, but I don't mind them so much now as they feel like somewhat of a rarity these days.

What I'd really love is another tournament with multi-session matches throughout like the UK used to be. Obviously I'm preaching to the converted on here as I'm sure the vast majority of us would love to see another multi-session tournament, but it won't happen because Hearn reckons we are in the minority.

I just don't understand why a promoter somewhere (China?) doesn't step up and organize something because there is a massive gap in the market and nobody is filling it.

The one thing hipsters and mainstreamers agree on is that we need another multi session competition.

Postby fridge46

fridge46 wrote:Potential Event 2017 Qualifiers: 11-13 October
Potential Event 2017: 13-18 November

:chin:

Now updated to say Shanghai Masters.

Qualifies to be played in Wigan

Postby SteveJJ

I see Ronnie has entered. Must only dislike playing numpties in Barnsley.

Wigan is fine though.

Does that mean he hates Barnsley more than he hates playing numpties?

Postby Alex0paul

Makes no sense having the International Championship followed by the Champion of Champions followed by Shanghai Masters

Postby Cloud Strife

SteveJJ wrote:I see Ronnie has entered. Must only dislike playing numpties in Barnsley.

Wigan is fine though.

Who gives a rubbish? :shrug:

Postby Dan-cat

SteveJJ wrote:I see Ronnie has entered. Must only dislike playing numpties in Barnsley.

Wigan is fine though.

Prob ‘cause he gets paid to play in china, and he’ll also do a lucrative exhibition or two while out there.

Postby Dan-cat

Snookerbacker weighs in:

‘After much moaning and groaning from the players we finally now have the draw for the Shanghai Masters, the qualifying for which takes place at Robin Park in Wigan from Wednesday until Friday.

It’s caused a bit of a kerfuffle has this. For reasons apparently ‘beyond the control’ of the sport’s sole controlling body, the draw wasn’t made available last week when it should have been. This has led to a lot of players having to frantically arrange their travel plans at the last minute, including three players on mainland Europe who insist on making things awkward for World Snooker and more importantly themselves by living in their country of birth.

There were a few stabs at why this delay happened, claims that World Snooker had lost the draw hat proved unfounded as did one player’s assertion that someone had sabotaged the tombola used to pull all the names out.

However, I think I know what the problem might have been, it seems that more players have entered it than should have done, which has caused something of a headache for the draw makers and obviously this confusion led someone into a spiral of anxiety so much so that they phoned in sick and let others work it all out. Ban the wildcards.

The result is that the talented and improving Billy Joe Castle and rather cruelly Soheil Vahedi have to play an extra match, it seems a bit off picking on two tour newbies, one of whom has enough trouble as it is with visas without all this, but clearly World Snooker have no time for such sentiment and poor old SV has been well and truly shafted.

The matches this week are the best of nine and after some doubt as to whether this tournament would go ahead at all it’s nice that it’s been secured. The bad news, for me at least, is that what made it stand out, namely the tiered qualifying, is gone and we’re back to the flat draw, which I know some people think is the way forward but I’m more for a bit of variety myself.

Ronnie O’Sullivan has decided to have the afternoon off Twitter on Friday to line up against Chris Keogan, no doubt one of those players that Ronnie so affectionately refers to as a Numpty. Let’s see how he fares in his first match since his outburst, which was not exactly the best way of making new friends was it?’

Postby mick745

I am sorry but there should be no way that a professional player should have to play an extra round when players given discretionary tour cards or amaters or wilcards do not. It's wrong. In the English Open draw for instance there are amaters put straight into the R1 draw. While some pros play an extra round. Not fair.

Postby TheSaviour

Can´t see Keogan posing too much troubles or a threat to Ronnie tbh.

Postby Alex0paul

Does Ashley Hugill get plenty of hugs when he's ill?

Postby Deewee

2 frames won in a match against a pro! Wonder if Bolton will get his first 50 break now, highest 48 so far

Postby Alex0paul

Gerrard Greene my lord
Gerard Greene
Oh lord Gerard Greene

Thank you