Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Q Finals Ronnie O'Sullivan v Mark Allen

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I agree with you Vodkadiet. If Ronnie didn't care, then why would he employ Steve Peters? He cares a lot but knows he has met his match in Selby.

Selby has nothing to do with this. He has beaten Selby in other big matches you know...

The Crucible just doesnt suit his personality. Yet, he's won that 5 times, but his game needs to be in very good shape to do it. In that regard, he's nothing like Selby because Selby can win the Worlds playing either his A game or B game, like in 2016.

Ronnie cant win the World Title playing his B game for the most of it I dont think.

Postby vodkadiet

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I agree with you Vodkadiet. If Ronnie didn't care, then why would he employ Steve Peters? He cares a lot but knows he has met his match in Selby.

He showed how much he cared by being so visibly upset at the press conference yesterday.

Postby TheRocket

Maybe he tries to alleviate the pressure on himself. But what if not? He's a Snookerpro since 1992. Do you still have the same appetite for the game after 25 years? As a 42 year old?

I'm not saying O'Sullivan doesn't try to win. That would be ridiculous to say. But maybe defeats don't hurt you as much as it did in the past and maybe winning a big title doesn't satisfy you like it did when you won it for the first time. I think that's a natural process.

Postby TheRocket

O'Sullivan has lost to Bingham, Hawkins and Ding in the recent editions of the World Championship. So Selby has nothing to do with it. Yes, Selby has beaten him in the 2014 World final. He was the better player over the two days, well certainly on the second day so all credit to him. But that's it. It was one match.

If both play to the best of their ability I expect O'Sullivan to destroy him everytime. Selby is no Hendry or Higgins. He can't match O'Sullivan at his best.

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:

He showed how much he cared by being so visibly upset at the press conference yesterday.

Ronnie won't play at the Crucible this year. I guarantee it.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:Ronnie doesn't like the Worlds, and yet it's one of his most successful tournaments.

Is there a reason people are panicking about him missing the Worlds this year? He says this sort of rubbish all the time. Surely given the year he's had he'll fancy it this year more than most? Jimmy's one of his best mates and he doesn't believe him when he says this stuff - do we think we know him better than Jimmy?

As far as I'm concerned, until he doesn't turn up for his first round match, he'll be there.

BECAUSE THIS TIME IT'S DIFFERENT!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ronnie's Ronnie. The most gifted snooker player ever, but he's a flawed genius, he has his troubles. His passion for the game is so great, he sometimes hates the game because he's such a perfectionist. Sometimes he struggles and when he breaks down he plays like crap, but when he's in the zone nobody's better to watch and nobody ever came closer to playing perfect snooker.

When he's at his best he elevates the game of snooker to a form of art and in many ways he's more of an artist than a sportsman in my opinion. And as any artist would know, artists tend to have a love/hate relationship with their art.. For him, playing a beautiful game seems even more important than winning titles..

I'm a guitar player and I love playing guitar, but there are days I'm so frustrated with playing music I want to smash my guitar and never play again....Only to pick it up a few days later and fall in love with it again. It's called being passionate.

Postby Chalk McHugh

If Ronnie pulls out so be it.The show will go on.As good as he is there is no man bigger than the sport.There will be plenty of thrills and spills whether he's there or not.As for equalling Hendrys record,lads lose the run of themselves on here about that?Is it really that important?His legacy is long since confirmed for me by now ; the greatest player i've seen.If he wants to Hustle in Oz he has my blessing.The Rocket owes nobody anything.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Andre147 wrote:

Selby has nothing to do with this. He has beaten Selby in other big matches you know...

The Crucible just doesnt suit his personality. Yet, he's won that 5 times, but his game needs to be in very good shape to do it. In that regard, he's nothing like Selby because Selby can win the Worlds playing either his A game or B game, like in 2016.

Ronnie cant win the World Title playing his B game for the most of it I dont think.

Selby has a lot to do with it in my opinion.

I agree with most of what people write about Ronnie being the genius player - he is. But as Holden says, he is a flawed genius. He knows Selby has the game to beat him and his defence is to say that he does not care or "I'm not going to play any more".

He is saying it so forcefully and so much, it is becoming emabarrasing.

Postby TheRocket

You're wrong. Ronnie is leading the overall H2H against Selby. I've seen Ronnie destroying and outplaying Selby several times while the other way around it was always a close match.

Its the 2014 World Championship final which always makes some fanboys believe that Selby has the edge. Let me tell you something. Dennis Taylor beat Steve Davis in a world final. And Doherty beat Hendry. I doubt theres anyone who would say Taylor is better than Davis or Doherty better than Hendry.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:Ronnie's greatest rivals in his career have been: Stephen Hendry, John Higgins and Mark Selby.

It's amazing Ronnie has won so many titles against that kind of opposition.

Not really when you consider how good he is.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

TheRocket wrote:You're wrong. Ronnie is leading the overall H2H against Selby. I've seen Ronnie destroying and outplaying Selby several times while the other way around it was always a close match.

Its the 2014 World Championship final which always makes some fanboys believe that Selby has the edge. Let me tell you something. Dennis Taylor beat Steve Davis in a world final. And Doherty beat Hendry. I doubt theres anyone who would say Taylor is better than Davis or Doherty better than Hendry.

You say I am wrong but which of the four points that I made are wrong?

Ronnie has an amazing haul of trophies, won across snooker's toughest eras.
He is a genius on the table.
I do think Selby has the game that defeat's Ronnies game most times.
As you say, it is natural that he will get over-taken

Postby Cloud Strife

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
TheRocket wrote:You're wrong. Ronnie is leading the overall H2H against Selby. I've seen Ronnie destroying and outplaying Selby several times while the other way around it was always a close match.

You say I am wrong but which of the four points that I made are wrong?

Ronnie has an amazing haul of trophies, won across snooker's toughest eras.
He is a genius on the table.
I do think Selby has the game that defeat's Ronnies game most times.
As you say, it is natural that he will get over-taken

I think this is the point TR took issue with and I do as well.

If it really is as you say then why does Ronnie lead the H2H? Not saying Selby can't beat Ronnie because he obviously can, but if they were to play 10 times Ronnie would win 6 or 7 of those matches, IMO. The stats back me up on that.

Postby TheRocket

@BadSnookerplayer

The point is his comments have nothing to do with Selby.

You said the reason for ROS saying stuff like he does atm is Selby. You really think Ronnie says "I dont care" because hes scared he might play Selby and lose?

Ronnies been well known for these kind of antics since the start of his career. His comments have nothing to do with Selby.

Postby Pink Ball

Mark Selby is a wonderful player. He is the best player on the world, and has been for most of the past five years.

Ronnie O'Sullivan is the greatest player of all time. Some day, a player might come along who is even greater. It isn't Mark Selby. I've watched snooker for 40 years. Selby is one of the best. He is nowhere near the best.