Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Round 1 :Mark Selby v Mark J Williams

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:No sign of Wildey. Hope he's all right after the devastating blow he suffered. :innocent:

Get a life you sad buck.

I Was a Williams fan long before Selby so no im not devastated ive grown out of devastation like that now FFS

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:Selbo comlaining to MJW

I wonder what Selbo was going on about?

MJW said Selby told him he had a kick at 5-3 on the last red.

Why would Selby bring that up? A bit silly in my opinion.

Lame excuse I think.

Selby had lots of other chances and couldnt take them.

He shouldn't have brought it up, but it did cost him the match, to be fair.

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:No sign of Wildey. Hope he's all right after the devastating blow he suffered. :innocent:

Get a life you sad buck.

I Was a Williams fan long before Selby so no im not devastated ive grown out of devastation like that now FFS

watch the language :no:

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:it was stating a fact it was not an excuse.

any fool could see that was a kick

Then why did Selby need to point it out?

It's a bit strange to bring that up after a match in my opinion. "Congratulations Mark, you know I had a kick there don't you?". Very strange. MJW didn't seem very interested.

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

It's a bit strange to bring that up after a match in my opinion. "Congratulations Mark, you know I had a kick there don't you?". Very strange. MJW didn't seem very interested.

Thing is Selby always talks to his opponent after a match about what's gone on for either player so he brought that up and Williams repeated it on TV.

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I thought it was abit disrespectful towards Williams. It was almost as if Selby was saying "you wouldn't have beaten me if it wasn't for that kick".

I could be wrong though, but that's just my opinion of what I saw.

Postby vodkadiet

Selby only lost because they have 16 players in an event that is meant to only include 'The Masters' of snooker. If there was only 8 players the matches would be longer and Selby wouldn't lose to players like Williams.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:Selby only lost because they have 16 players in an event that is meant to only include 'The Masters' of snooker. If there was only 8 players the matches would be longer and Selby wouldn't lose to players like Williams.

What you say contradicts yourself...

Then Selby shouldn't have no problems beating players who are seeded 9-16 at this tournament.

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:Selby only lost because they have 16 players in an event that is meant to only include 'The Masters' of snooker. If there was only 8 players the matches would be longer and Selby wouldn't lose to players like Williams.

I'm not so sure about that. Williams is playing very well at the moment, and with a 6-5 lead in a best of 17, I wouldn't be rushing to bet against him, even against Selbo.

Postby vodkadiet

Andre

It isn't about the rankings. It is about the length of matches. It is why Selby has won 3 out of the last 4 World Championships. Williams wouldn't stand a chance against Selby at The Crucible.

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:Andre

It isn't about the rankings. It is about the length of matches. It is why Selby has won 3 out of the last 4 World Championships. Williams wouldn't stand a chance against Selby at The Crucible.

Again, on current form, I'm really not sure.

Postby Andy Spark

Wildey wrote:

Get a life you sad buck.

It shows a different side to you.

Funnily enough I was a Steve Davis fan way back in the 80's, long before I was a Ronnie fan. Maybe that shows a different side to me.

Postby vodkadiet

Pink Ball wrote:

What current form? Williams has no form. He got plain lucky that he faced a load of rubbish players in Ulster.

Postby TheRocket

Selby has been struggling against Williams throughout his whole career. Even in multi session matches Williams is leading like 4:2 in the H2H. And don't forget that Selby doesn't even play against prime Williams (1998-2003) but only against a weaker version.

Those one against one sports are always about matchups. And Williams style of play just doesn't seem to suit Selby

Postby Andy Spark

Maybe. My dream is for the "big three" to be held in different countries and for them all to be multi-session matches. If the players are worried about "burn out" then just shorten the others to best of 7's.

The situation in snooker match lengths is lopsided. A host of best of 7's, 9's and 11's and then bloody great chunks of 25's and 33's. I submit this is far from ideal design!

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

What current form? Williams has no form. He got plain lucky that he faced a load of rubbish players in Ulster.

He played very well all week. I marked him out as a potential winner from his match against Tom Ford. Four quarter-finals and a semi-final outside of that. Played very well today. His form is far greater than Selby's right now.

Postby vodkadiet

Andy Spark wrote:

Maybe. My dream is for the "big three" to be held in different countries and for them all to be multi-session matches. If the players are worried about "burn out" then just shorten the others to best of 7's.

The situation in snooker match lengths is lopsided. A host of best of 7's, 9's and 11's and then bloody great chunks of 25's and 33's. I submit this is far from ideal design!

Why does snooker have to increase frames during an event? Tennis has events that are best of 3 sets throughout, or best of 5 sets throughout.

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:

Why does snooker have to increase frames during an event? Tennis has events that are best of 3 sets throughout, or best of 5 sets throughout.

Snooker isn't tennis. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Postby vodkadiet

Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:

Snooker isn't tennis. You're comparing apples to oranges.

The World Championships would work better if every match was best of 25.

Postby Andy Spark

vodkadiet wrote:

Well, quite.

Postby vodkadiet

Pink Ball wrote:Why don't snooker players have to chip the cue-ball over a little net when taking their shots, like in tennis?

And they should have to wear shorts and eat bananas!

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Why don't snooker players have to chip the cue-ball over a little net when taking their shots, like in tennis?

And for God's sake, put some Robinson's through that water.

Postby vodkadiet

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

And for God's sake, put some Robinson's through that water.

There was chalk dust!

Postby Johnny Bravo

Snooker is similar to boxing in the sense that styles make matches.
For example, Ronnie has always played great against all out attacking players like Williams and Murphy, but he has had very tough matches against percentage players like Higgins or grinders like Selbo.
On the other hand, the likes of MJW and the Hawk have always fared very well against Selbo. It doesn't seem to bother them when the frames go scrappy.

Postby Alex0paul

Wildey wrote:

Get a life you sad buck.

Mildey would never have responded like that.

Postby Cloud Strife

Johnny Bravo wrote:

Snooker is similar to boxing in the sense that styles make matches.
For example, Ronnie has always played great against all out attacking players like Williams and Murphy, but he has had very tough matches against percentage players like Higgins or grinders like Selbo.
On the other hand, the likes of MJW and the Hawk have always fared very well against Selbo. It doesn't seem to bother them when the frames go scrappy.

Snooker is nothing like Boxing. <doh>