No votes

Total votes : 4

Re: Joe Perry's commentary.

Postby Alex0paul

I wonder if his eyebrows twitch in the comms box

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:He is pretty good. I prefer him to most.

Is he better than Hendry, the man he replaced?

No.

Postby vodkadiet

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:He is pretty good. I prefer him to most.

Is he better than Hendry, the man he replaced?

No.

No he isn't. But Perry needs the money more so has to be more careful with what he says!

Postby Dan-cat

I just wish he would be more inventive in his speech patterns. Being a commentator is being a good broadcaster, and you can't expect a snooker player to instantly be one.

This is why I love Phil Yates. He's always inventing news ways to describe the same action, has tons of stats knowledge and a genuine love for the game.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:I just wish he would be more inventive in his speech patterns. Being a commentator is being a good broadcaster, and you can't expect a snooker player to instantly be one.

This is why I love Phil Yates. He's always inventing news ways to describe the same action, has tons of stats knowledge and a genuine love for the game.

How to make your opinion instantly worthless. <ok>

(Just kiddng.)

Postby The_Abbott

He was OK. Nothing special but he can only improve/ Hendry was shocking when he first tried commentating.

Postby SnookerFan

The_Abbott wrote:He was OK. Nothing special but he can only improve/ Hendry was shocking when he first tried commentating.

Was he? I remember quite liking him when he started.

I find him a bit more grumpy now. Not that he's bad, but he has gotten a bit more BBC over the years.

Postby The_Abbott

SnookerFan wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:He was OK. Nothing special but he can only improve/ Hendry was shocking when he first tried commentating.

Was he? I remember quite liking him when he started.

I find him a bit more grumpy now. Not that he's bad, but he has gotten a bit more BBC over the years.

I first heard Hendry when he did some BBC coverage at the World's when he was still playing and didn't think he was any good. He needed prompting all the time from his co-commentator. Now he is one of the best, if a little arrogant at times because he still thinks he's a snooker god. He's not he is a legend.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:I just wish he would be more inventive in his speech patterns. Being a commentator is being a good broadcaster, and you can't expect a snooker player to instantly be one.

How to make your opinion instantly worthless. <ok>

(Just kiddng.)

Hehehe I knew that would rankle :-D

Postby vodkadiet

He coined the phrase 'He fashioned a clearance.'

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:

He coined the phrase 'He fashioned a clearance.'

What would we do without it?

Postby The_Abbott

Typical Phil Yates commentary:

This is the 5th Quarter final this guy has made this season in comparison to just 3 at this time last season which has already pocketed him 300,000 pounds which is more than he has made for the past 4 seasons. It's also the 3rd time he's beaten this opponent this season once in a semi final and twice in the last 16 and 7 times last season.

It's like he has a stats book with him at all times.