Post a reply

Re: 188BET Champion of Champions Group 4!!!

Postby Andre147

Either opponent will be tough for Ronnie, but I think Allen would be slightly better. He would be a tad tired after all the travelling and Snooker he played in the past week, regardless if he wins the IC or not.

Postby Andre147

So Ronnie plays Robbo then. Probably the toughest one he could have got, but Robbo isn't on good form lately either, although he did win their last encounter.

Postby Alex0paul

Andre147 wrote:So Ronnie plays Robbo then. Probably the toughest one he could have got, but Robbo isn't on good form lately either, although he did win their last encounter.

He's must be pleased it's not Robbie Williams

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:I fancy Ronnie to win this tournament.

I would prefer if he won the Shanghai Masters or the NI Open to be honest. Likely the NI Open.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:

I would prefer if he won the Shanghai Masters or the NI Open to be honest. Likely the NI Open.

i think Ronnie himself prefers these type of events rather than main stay ranking events

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

i think Ronnie himself prefers these type of events rather than main stay ranking events

I know that, but at this moment in time I prefer him to win ranking events as opposed to events like the CoC or Masters.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

I know that, but at this moment in time I prefer him to win ranking events as opposed to events like the CoC or Masters.

Me too. He needs to win a couple more big rankers.
He has 7 Masters and 2 CoC already.
Plus they don't exactly help him improve his ranking.

Postby PLtheRef

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Me too. He needs to win a couple more big rankers.
He has 7 Masters and 2 CoC already.
Plus they don't exactly help him improve his ranking.

To be honest, at this stage of Ronnie's career, I don't think he's going to be worried about trophies and rankings. Plus, the ranking system also helps him in that it allows him to pick and choose his events more freely.

These 'invitational' events suit him. Three or four days commitment rather than a week definitely is certainly more his style - but it does come with the pressure of needing a win it to maintain the invites.

Postby TheRocket

Even though Ronnie has won this twice and has always played decent here I've never really enjoyed this tournament.
Its a non-ranker , it has a bo7 first round match and looks like a poor mans Masters event tbh.

Postby vodkadiet

TheRocket wrote:Even though Ronnie has won this twice and has always played decent here I've never really enjoyed this tournament.
Its a non-ranker , it has a bo7 first round match and looks like a poor mans Masters event tbh.

It is garbage. Best of 7's in the last 16, and then best of 11's in the quarters. Where is the logic?

Postby TheRocket

vodkadiet wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Even though Ronnie has won this twice and has always played decent here I've never really enjoyed this tournament.

It is garbage. Best of 7's in the last 16, and then best of 11's in the quarters. Where is the logic?

Exactly. And as you wrote in the other thread. It's knockout system, not a group one.

If Hearn wants to do something good he should remove this poor mans Masters event and bring back the old UK Championship.

Postby vodkadiet

TheRocket wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

Exactly. And as you wrote in the other thread. It's knockout system, not a group one.

If Hearn wants to do something good he should remove this poor mans Masters event and bring back the old UK Championship.

The Rocket, you are so right. There is no need for this garbage.

If Hearn was ever on Desert Island Discs this would be his number one track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETxmCCsMoD0

Postby PLtheRef

TheRocket wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

There is a place for this event, but its worth bearing in mind that this is the first year where we actually have 16 different tournament winners competing. (In a circuit of 38+ different events)

There is a place for a champions event, but I do think that 16 players is too many and it should be reduced to 8 or 12 with a proper group stage.

Postby TheRocket

PLtheRef wrote:
There is a place for this event, but its worth bearing in mind that this is the first year where we actually have 16 different tournament winners competing. (In a circuit of 38+ different events)

There is a place for a champions event, but I do think that 16 players is too many and it should be reduced to 8 or 12 with a proper group stage.

yeah that would be a good option imo.

8 players, two groups. First and second-placed players go through and advance to the semis. At least it would be an unique tournament then like its supposed to be.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:

8 players, two groups. First and second-placed players go through and advance to the semis. At least it would be an unique tournament then like its supposed to be.

Then what you propose is a system similar to the ATP Finals in Tennis?

Two Groups, second and first advance to the Semis.

Postby PLtheRef

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:

Two Groups, second and first advance to the Semis.

It was also the format of the original ITV televised Champions Cup events from 1999-2001

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:

buck all. It's tennis.

Postby PLtheRef

SteveJJ wrote:Although would having proper round robin groups, increase the chances of betting irregularities, especially around dead rubbers?

If you had 12 players in four groups of three then in theory then you could set the matches in a group to ensure that the last game couldn't be a dead rubber

E.g. the first match would be Player 1 (Ronnie) v Player 2 (Robertson)

The second match would be Player 3 (Higgins) v the loser of the first game

The third match would be Player 3 v the winner of the first game.

Meaning that the last game would be either a straight Shootout between two players on 1 win each or a match where all three players would still be in contention.

The Champions League Darts arranges the matches so that the winners of the first round of games and the losers of the first round of games play eachother in the second round of games meaning at least one game in the final round will be 'active' as it were

If you made groups of 4 double elimination then you would guarantee that there were no dead rubber matches