Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship Final Higgins v Williams !!

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Williams won all of his three world finals 18:16 now. And whenever he was the defending Champ ROS won the World title.

Hope that pattern will strike for the third time.

:-D

If today doesn't spur on Ronnie, nothing ever will!

Ali Carter spoiled a good QF. Think MJW would have still beaten Ronnie but most of the times MJW brings the best out of Ronnie. Dont know why.

Now only a MJW Ronnie WC final missing then we would have it all

Postby snooker_loopy

Well Williams won and no-one involved with the championship (the BBC presenters, I mean) dared to mention the "crucible is a shithole" twitter remark he made in 2012 just before the tournament began. Guess the owner of the Crucible aren't that happy he won. I doubt Williams is that bothered he won considering he hates the place that much. Still, with the 425 grand prize money he can go into business with John Higgins and buy that luxury villa in Spain John's always wanted!
Last edited by snooker_loopy on 07 May 2018, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Iranu

I still can't get my head around what I've just witnessed.

When Higgins made it 15-15, I honestly thought he'd go on and win it. I had to put the snooker on silent and watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine on the other screen because I was so nervous!

But Higins missed a tricky pink, and that gave Williams a sniff, and boy did he up his game when it mattered.

To miss that easy pink in the penultimate frame and to come out and pot THAT red to middle, then make THAT break, and then pot THAT final long red to seal it... that was remarkable.

:hatoff: player of the season indeed, and I'm so glad I got to see MJW being on top of the snooker world. All my snooker watching life I've been hearing about how good MjW was.

Now we can talk about how good he is.

He just won the world title without being able to open the reds up. Nobody else could do that.

Genius.

Postby PLtheRef

Odd to think that Williams was the first of the Class of 92 to reach two World titles.

He might be the last of the trio to get to three but that doesn't matter. What a performance. He has been brilliant over the last few days, and in particular in the Final, to keep going and pulling clear when Higgins first got level at 7-7, then again at 15-15 and to respond like he did in the 34th frame,

Mark Williams, snooker Champion of the World.

Postby Andy Spark

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Williams won all of his three world finals 18:16 now. And whenever he was the defending Champ ROS won the World title.

:-D

If today doesn't spur on Ronnie, nothing ever will!

It might dissuade him from claiming “I’m too old” to win, at least for a couple of years. He’d benefit from not having the “favourite” tag, just as Higgins and Williams did.

Postby TheRocket

Will be interesting to see whether the two final losses will affect Higgins badly or make him try even harder to finally win that trophy for a fifth time. 50/50 thing imo.

Everything is possible. He might even never reach the one table stage again.

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:Will be interesting to see whether the two final losses will affect Higgins badly or make him try even harder to finally win that trophy for a fifth time. 50/50 thing imo.

Everything is possible. He might even never reach the one table stage again.

I reckon he'll never reach it again. He deserves respect for his tremendous bottle under pressure and for what he's achieved this year, but if u look at things objectively u can clearly see that him reaching the final was more of a case of his opponents under-performing than him firing on all cylinders.

Postby Andy Spark

Deewee wrote:
Iranu wrote:
He just won the world title without being able to open the reds up. Nobody else could do that.

Genius.

:happy:

Perrie Mans won the Masters in 1979 without being able to make a fifty break. Nobody else could do that.

Genius.

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I'd have no objection to Williams being player of the season.

Only Ronnie comes remotely close.

And he really doesn't come that close.

He does, but the World Championship is so important it pushes him miles up the list. And he wasn't that far behind anyway.

Postby TheRocket

He definitely is. The world title alone is like worth of 5 rankers. Ronnie on the other hand is a very strong second. Probably the best second best player we've ever seen in a season.

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:I still can't get my head around what I've just witnessed.

When Higgins made it 15-15, I honestly thought he'd go on and win it. I had to put the snooker on silent and watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine on the other screen because I was so nervous!

But Higins missed a tricky pink, and that gave Williams a sniff, and boy did he up his game when it mattered.

To miss that easy pink in the penultimate frame and to come out and pot THAT red to middle, then make THAT break, and then pot THAT final long red to seal it... that was remarkable.

:hatoff: player of the season indeed, and I'm so glad I got to see MJW being on top of the snooker world. All my snooker watching life I've been hearing about how good MjW was.

Now we can talk about how good he is.

Genius.

It's pretty clear from reading here that people hadn't a clue how Williams used to go about his business in his prime. Cloud had a pretty good idea in that he said Williams didn't miss sitters back in his prime. That much is definitely true. The rest were saying he had to win frames in one visit, but Williams rarely did that.

Williams would get in first in most frames because: A) he was tactically very good and didn't give up easy chances and B) he is the best long potter of all-time, so he was harder to contain than most.

Once in, he'd typically make 50 or 60 before running off-track for the tougher balls because his cueball control was never that great. But then he'd play a good safety shot and, again, he'd normally be the first man back in because his safety and long potting were so good.

Of the all-time greats, he is certainly the least orthodox. He's a brilliant six-reds player, actually, which gives you a good idea of what he's been about.
Last edited by Pink Ball on 07 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andy Spark

Cloud Strife wrote:
rubbish happens, like one day waking up and finding out you're a homosexual.

It would be worse for a gay man to wake up and suddenly realise he’d gone straight; how would you explain that one away to your husband?

Postby Deewee

Andy Spark wrote:
Deewee wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Genius.

:happy:

Perrie Mans won the Masters in 1979 without being able to make a fifty break. Nobody else could do that.

Genius.

That's very incisive, Andy. Good work.

Postby Andre147

It shows how much bottle he really has. To win 3 World Finals just one frame short of a decider is quite remarkable.

That's actually an interesting pattern... hopefully ROS will be inspired by him, if he can do it at 43, ROS is also more than capable.

Postby PLtheRef

Here we go then, Results time

2018 BETFRED WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP PREDICTION CONTEST (31 / 31 Matches played)
213 SAVOMILOSEVIC 2WC 26 - 3
183 CLOUD STRIFE 22 - 7
174 HOLDEN CHINASKI 21 - 3
171 DEEWEE 22 - 3
169 WILDEY 22 - 2
168 NICE_SHOES_KEN 20 - 6
167 ERASERHEAD 21 - 2
167 PLTHEREF 20 - 4
166 SUNDAYGIRL 19 - 4
156 THECLEAVER 20 - 5
154 STEVEJJ 20 - 3
154 KOLOMPAR 19 - 3
154 CHALK MCHUGH 18 - 5
154 VODKADIET 17 - 3
152 SNOOKERFAN 20 - 1
150 ANDRE147 20 - 3
148 KRAYZEEYEZKILLA 19 - 1
148 ARIS147 18 - 2
144 GJ 18 - 4
141 AIMLESSWANDEER 19 - 3
134 PINK BALL 17 - 2
133 BADSNOOKERPLAYER 16 - 4
130 SLOWJOE 17 - 1
128 DAN-CAT 15 - 4
126 ALEX0PAUL 17 - 2
107 DRLOG147 14 - 1
79 OONESBOO 10 - 0
74 SNOOKERGUY 10 - 0
56 AYRSHIREBHOY 7 - 0

And it is huge congratulations to SavoMilosevic on winning a second World Championship Prediction Contest, with a new record score. Honourable mentions go to Cloud Strife who was a long time leader as well as Snookergirl.

We had seven predictions for a Williams win, with two going for 18-16. We also had ten entries fail to predict for the Final.

Monday's scoreboard
12 HOLDEN CHINASKI
12 ANDRE147
10 WILDEY
10 THECLEAVER
8 SAVOMILOSEVIC
8 ERASERHEAD
7 CLOUD STRIFE
0 VODKADIET
0 SUNDAYGIRL
0 STEVEJJ
0 SNOOKERFAN WC
0 SLOWJOE
0 PLTHEREF
0 KRAYZEEYEZKILLA
0 KOLOMPAR
0 DRLOG147
0 DEEWEE
0 CHALK MCHUGH
0 BADSNOOKERPLAYER
X ALEX0PAUL
X SNOOKERGUY
X PINK BALL
X OONESBOO
X NICE_SHOES_KEN
X GJ
X DAN-CAT
X AYRSHIREBHOY
X ARIS147
X AIMLESSWANDEER

With all the Bonuses now tallied, here is the World Championship bonus table for 2018

Bonus Table
13 SAVOMILOSEVIC
11 SUNDAYGIRL
11 HOLDEN CHINASKI
11 KOLOMPAR
10 PINK BALL
10 DEEWEE
10 ERASERHEAD
9 CHALK MCHUGH
8 NICE_SHOES_KEN
8 SLOWJOE
8 AYRSHIREBHOY
8 ARIS147
7 DAN-CAT
7 OONESBOO
6 KRAYZEEYEZKILLA
6 DRLOG147
5 SNOOKERFAN WC
5 STEVEJJ
5 GJ
5 PLTHEREF
4 ANDRE147
4 WILDEY
3 ALEX0PAUL
3 BADSNOOKERPLAYER
3 THECLEAVER
3 SNOOKERGUY
2 CLOUD STRIFE
2 VODKADIET
2 AIMLESSWANDEER

Many thanks to all who have taken part in this years contest and congratulations to SavoMilosevic once more.

On to the next one.

Postby Andy Spark

TheRocket wrote:

He definitely is. The world title alone is like worth of 5 rankers. Ronnie on the other hand is a very strong second. Probably the best second best player we've ever seen in a season.

Yes, I think Williams just edges it as player of the season, but it’s still been a very good season for Ronnie fans. :)

Postby Andre147

PLtheRef wrote:Odd to think that Williams was the first of the Class of 92 to reach two World titles.

He might be the last of the trio to get to three but that doesn't matter. What a performance. He has been brilliant over the last few days, and in particular in the Final, to keep going and pulling clear when Higgins first got level at 7-7, then again at 15-15 and to respond like he did in the 34th frame,

Mark Williams, snooker Champion of the World.

Ironic or not, MJW might also be the last ever player of the Class of 92 to win the World Title.

Hope ROS can avoid that and win at least one more. This performance from MJW has to somehow inspire, plus Higgins reaching the Final and being just 2 frames short of victory isn't too shaby either.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:

Fully agree.

Selby probably comes in 3rd place because he won 2 of the biggest rankers too, and Higgins comes 4th having reached the World Final and 2 other titles.