Post a reply

Re: Selby wants to shorten the semi finals

Postby Iranu

Considering he's basically custom built for the semis and final, I find it a weird position for him to take.

Postby eraserhead

Looking forward to hear Wildeys thoughts on this, after his criticisms of John Higgins and rest days.
Last edited by eraserhead on 06 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TheRocket

I might be in the minority but I think bo33 for the semis are indeed too long. It barely makes it any different from the final which should be the most special match obviously. And the players who play the second semi might be quite exhausted going into the final. So either make it a bo27 or 29 but if you wanna keep the bo33 length then I'd prefer a day off between the semis and finals.

Postby Cloud Strife

Being serious for a moment, I'm surprised Selby would come out with something like this. I always had him down as a big traditionalist.

I guess he's been hanging around with Jimmy and Ronnie too much these last few days.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:I might be in the minority but I think bo33 for the semis are indeed too long. It barely makes it any different from the final which should be the most special match obviously. And the players who play the second semi might be quite exhausted going into the final. So either make it a bo27 or 29 but if you wanna keep the bo33 length then I'd prefer a day off between the semis and finals.

There should definately be a day off between semis and Final.

This has been discussed for years

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:Being serious for a moment, I'm surprised Selby would come out with something like this. I always had him down as a big traditionalist.

I guess he's been hanging around with Jimmy and Ronnie too much these last few days.

Never thought ROS was going to be friends with Selby of all people...

at one time those two couldn't even look at each other...

Postby Cloud Strife

TheRocket wrote:I might be in the minority but I think bo33 for the semis are indeed too long. It barely makes it any different from the final which should be the most special match obviously. And the players who play the second semi might be quite exhausted going into the final. So either make it a bo27 or 29 but if you wanna keep the bo33 length then I'd prefer a day off between the semis and finals.

Make it best of 31 like it was before. And keep the rest of it as it is.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:

Also move the conclusion of the final to Monday

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Cloud Strife wrote:

Make it best of 31 like it was before. And keep the rest of it as it is.

Wouldn't change much

Postby PLtheRef

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

That already happens

Postby Iranu

Best of 31 and in three sessions so they only take two days each. Is there any reason all sessions except the last have to be 8 frames?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

PLtheRef wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

That already happens

Sorry Sunday.

Postby Alex0paul

How about you play the final over 10 minutes with a 20 second shot clock which is then reduced with 5 minutes left?

Postby Cloud Strife

Alex0paul wrote:How about you play the final over 10 minutes with a 20 second shot clock which is then reduced with 5 minutes left?

Michael Georgiou just became favourite for the World Championship.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Having a day off between the semis and final would mean the semis finishing on Friday with one of them done in the afternoon. It would also mean starting the tournament on a Friday morning. There's already a huge amount of the tournament in the middle of weekdays without moving two of the biggest days to Friday and leaving a weekend day empty.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:

Not really. its been discussed in the last 20 years by players who wants to make things easy for themselves.

no need for Day off no need to shorten matches just destroy your opponent then put your feet up.

seriously all this talk proves how weak today's players are.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:So is Selby a weak player because he wants the format shortned?

Selby put himself in that bracket tonight so YES

Postby Chalk McHugh

That's why the money and prestige for winning this trophy is so great. It's bloody well hard to win. One of sports most gruelling and arduous formats. But that's what makes it special and intriguing. It's what seperates the men from the boys. The wheat from the chaf. Leave it be i say. Last night was compelling viewing even if the players had nothing left to give.