Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship (Wed May 2nd) Quarter-Finals

Postby Andre147

freakmoomin wrote:What a game!

Really glad higgins won.....but wow those pockets are awful!

Theres almost one pot a frame that shouldnt go in

At least one a frame that wouldnt drop on any club table.

It's a big irony, but one of the tournaments which had the tightest pockets this season was the Shoot-Out.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Andre147 wrote:

It's a big irony, but one of the tournaments which had the tightest pockets this season was the Shoot-Out.

Andre - you are spot on. I often wonder whether commentators are right when they say "Club tables are easier than these" or similar. Many of the shots tonight would never stand a chance even on the easier tables in my club. Parrott in particular says this a lot.

Postby Chalk McHugh

hendry_fan wrote:COMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMME ONNNNNNNNN JOHN HIGGINS!!!

OLE,OLE,OLE OLE,OLE OLE OLE OLE,JOHN HAGGIS HIGGINS!.

COME ONNNNNN JOHN!!!.

GET IN THERE LADDIE!!.

:cracker: :party: :wine: :drunk: :cracker: :-D :D :happy:

Congrats pal. I have always admired and liked John. Such a gent also. Feck the begrudgers.

Postby Andy Spark

Andre147 wrote:

Actually I don’t think comparison with club tables is helpful to those campaigning for tighter pockets. It’s a fact that most club tables do have much bigger pockets when compared with WPBSA templates and if people say they aren’t it just gives the WPBSA the excuse they need to ignore the attitudes of people asking for tighter pockets.

Postby hendry_fan

Chalk McHugh wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:COMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMME ONNNNNNNNN JOHN HIGGINS!!!

OLE,OLE,OLE OLE,OLE OLE OLE OLE,JOHN HAGGIS HIGGINS!.

COME ONNNNNN JOHN!!!.

GET IN THERE LADDIE!!.

:cracker: :party:

Congrats pal. I have always admired and liked John. Such a gent also. Feck the begrudgers.

Many thanx Chalk McHugh,

Aye,one can like,admire,not like John¨,whatever,John,but no one one can deny,he,s a true GREAT!. :D :happy: :cracker: :party: :-D

Postby Raphael98

Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:The Mo Farah of snooker. Liked by people without a brain cell

I don't mind him <ok>

Then, as much as I like you, you haven't a clue

Hey Pink Ball, while Higgins had fault on the video, the NOTW had fault as well, because as far as I know, they were being investigated because of allegations of phone hacking at that time.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

I don't mind him <ok>

Show me the man that is without fault.

I know you think Higgins was let off lightly and he probably was, but if you were him would you not have accepted that? What can he do to redress the balance?

I probably don't have a clue compared to you, but I can't help admiring the guy's play.

Postby Andy Spark

Andre147 wrote:it's a mistery and for me no coincidence that World Snooker doesnt reveal how big or small the pockets actually are. No precise measures are given.

Yes. I think it’s also important to note that other technical specs influence ease of pocket entry too. For example shift in patterns of reclothing. The more frequently a table is reclothed the bigger the pockets will play. All technical specifications should be in the public domain, but they aren’t. Why aren’t they? Politics.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Andy Spark wrote:
Andre147 wrote:it's a mistery and for me no coincidence that World Snooker doesnt reveal how big or small the pockets actually are. No precise measures are given.

Yes. I think it’s also important to note that other technical specs influence ease of pocket entry too. For example shift in patterns of reclothing. The more frequently a table is reclothed the bigger the pockets will play. All technical specifications should be in the public domain, but they aren’t. Why aren’t they? Politics.

Sorry Andy - why do they play bigger the more it is reclothed?

Postby Andy Spark

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:

A new cloth has a “sheen” that gradually wears away over the course of a day or two. This sheen influences the path of the cue ball when in the jaws of the pocket, making it more likely to “throw” the ball into the pocket off a jaw.

Postby vodkadiet

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Vote Green!!!!!

There's another party called For Britain and they are even better on animal rights. Or at least that's what Stephen Patrick Morrissey told me.

Morrissey has been brilliant for animal rights, he tells the truth no matter what people think of him. However, he has been a Pr*ck in many ways. Saying he likes Nigel Farage was the last straw.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Andy Spark wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:

A new cloth has a “sheen” that gradually wears away over the course of a day or two. This sheen influences the path of the cue ball when in the jaws of the pocket, making it more likely to “throw” the ball into the pocket off a jaw.

Thanks Andy - makes sense. Some of the cloths I play on have those grooves at the side of the jaws which trap a dead-weight ball. Sure pros don't have to deal with that.

Thanks again !

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:

There's another party called For Britain and they are even better on animal rights. Or at least that's what Stephen Patrick Morrissey told me.

Morrissey has been brilliant for animal rights, he tells the truth no matter what people think of him. However, he has been a Pr*ck in many ways. Saying he likes Nigel Farage was the last straw.

What's wrong with Nigel Farage?

Postby Cloud Strife

Raphael98 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

I don't mind him <ok>

Hey Pink Ball, while Higgins had fault on the video, the NOTW had fault as well, because as far as I know, they were being investigated because of allegations of phone hacking at that time.

What exactly has the phone hacking scandal got to do with Higgins agreeing to corrupt activity on camera? I'm not seeing the correlation, tbh.

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:

He's a xenophobic, misogynistic media hussy piece of rubbish?

Postby Andy Spark

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:A new cloth has a “sheen” that gradually wears away over the course of a day or two. This sheen influences the path of the cue ball when in the jaws of the pocket, making it more likely to “throw” the ball into the pocket off a jaw.

Thanks Andy - makes sense. Some of the cloths I play on have those grooves at the side of the jaws which trap a dead-weight ball. Sure pros don't have to deal with that.

Thanks again !

It’s OK. BTW I wouldn’t be surprised if someone on high has made a decision to increase the frequency of reclothing in order to make the pockets play larger in an event. They’re subtle.

Postby Alex0paul

Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:

I thought that said Nigel Bond for a sec

Postby Cloud Strife

Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:

He's against mass immigration and wants out of the EU. If that makes him xenophobic then so be it, but he has some valid arguments to make if people are willing to have a sensible discussion without throwing around terms like racist, xenophobe etc etc.

And yes, of course he's a media hussy. Isn't that part of the job description for a politician these days?

Postby Iranu

Well yeah, being a media hussy doesn't make him any different from any other politician haha.

But he thinks it's ok to use the word "ch*nky" for a Chinese meal, and said he would feel uneasy living next to Romanian neighbours, for example.

He doesn't even try to hide his xenophobia, so I'm not using the term lightly. His former party essentially built their platform on it.

Postby Cloud Strife

Iranu wrote:Well yeah, being a media hussy doesn't make him any different from any other politician haha.

But he thinks it's ok to use the word "ch*nky" for a Chinese meal, and said he would feel uneasy living next to Romanian neighbours, for example.

He doesn't even try to hide his xenophobia, so I'm not using the term lightly. His former party essentially built their platform on it.

When I read what he said about people using chinky to describe a Chinese meal I laughed because there used to be a prominent member on here who did that very thing. I don't agree with the description, but he's right to point out a lot of people use the term "chinky" without batting an eyelid, rightly or wrongly.

Also he didn't build his party on xenophobia, he built it on anti-immigration and anti-EU policies. Of course to his detractors his policies will be seen as xenophobic and racist. His supporters will see him as a patriot and a pragmatist. I'm probably somewhere in the middle.

Postby vodkadiet

Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:

I need about 3 hours to answer that. So I will leave that for another day!