Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship (Sat April 28th) Last 16 !!

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Williams would struggle to beat Helena Bonham Carter on this showing

Is she trying Q School this year?

She's better with a wand than with a cue

Postby Pink Ball

O'Sullivan fans:

A lot of you have reacted very well to the defeat. A lot of you haven't. That's fine; I understand. You have no idea how devastated I was when White lost all those finals.

You've seen your man win five world titles. Nothing will take that away from him. Even as a non Ronnie fan, I have massively enjoyed watching him over the years. In a weird way, he's added a lot to my life. Seems strange to say that about someone I've never met. Let alone someone I don't particularly like. He's probably added even more to your lives. Same goes for Selby to Selby fans.

I posted before the championship that snooker has added a huge amount to my life. And it has. I said it was like a fourth child to me. In reality, it isn't anything close to that. If anything happened to my loved ones, it would hurt me a million times more than Jimmy White never winning the World Championship.

A few years ago, I could have lost m wife to crippling depression. Since then, I've learned to enjoy snooker a lot more because I know now how unimportant it is. It's not that I love the game less than I did. If anything, I love it more because I see it now for what it is: a game.

Call it an overly sentimental post, because it probably is. But take it as a bad effort to make you lads feel a little better.

Enjoy the rest of the championship. I know I will. Even if bloody Higgins wins it.

Postby snookerguy

Wildey wrote:
snookerguy wrote:
Iranu wrote:Other snooker players aren't your colleagues, they're your competition.

On the table, yes they are your competition.

Off it they are your colleagues. Your success as a snooker player relies on their being other players about you can play against in competitions, your revenue comes from the fact you and the other 128 players are all playing against eachother. Yes, you want to beat them but part of the gentlemans game of snooker is recognising that they are equally as important at you. Arguing with eachother in the match arena is totally uncalled for and beyond disrespectful, now everyone will be talking about the match for the wrong reasons. This is the last thing our sport needs.

Snooker Today owes a massive amount to Alex Higgins and Alex was confrontational and made Carter and Ronnie look like childs play.

Some players was Genuinely scared of Alex

Complete different era though. That's the 60s, 70s, 80s when snooker players were borne out of working mens clubs and the game was a way for people who would have no way of functioning in normal society to make a few quid (like Alex), not to mention Alex was an alcoholic, and alcoholics are genuinely frightening because of their unpredictably.

Whilst we owe a lot to Alex Higgins, we also owe a lot to players who just got on with playing the game without fighting at the table. It's a gentleman's sport, in the modern era we expect far more of players than we did in the 80s. In the past Ronnie has generally fought himself at the table not his opponents. And Carter has generally fought players with his mouth in press conferences not at the table. To see two players actually verging on a full blown row at the table (if the referee hadn't stepped in that wasn't de-escalating) at the table is utterly appalling and I hope they are both fined a significant amount of money.

Postby snookerguy

Iranu wrote:
snookerguy wrote:
Iranu wrote:Other snooker players aren't your colleagues, they're your competition.

On the table, yes they are your competition.

Off it they are your colleagues. Your success as a snooker player relies on their being other players about you can play against in competitions, your revenue comes from the fact you and the other 128 players are all playing against eachother. Yes, you want to beat them but part of the gentlemans game of snooker is recognising that they are equally as important at you. Arguing with eachother in the match arena is totally uncalled for and beyond disrespectful, now everyone will be talking about the match for the wrong reasons. This is the last thing our sport needs.

Don't get me wrong I agree with everything you say except that snooker players are your colleagues. The rest is bang on <ok>

Fair enough, our argument seems to be over wording. A better term might be other players, either way your all their for one reason and when I see scenes like this afternoons it makes me angry that my favourite sport's main event will be clouded by tabloid talk over two players having an argument on the table. I expect football players to do that not snooker players.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

It was a vicious confrontation and I just pray that no children were watching.

Thankfully the ref stepped in at just the moment when a fist fight was likely, especially after O'Sullivan having lost his temper , screaming "I am as cool as a c***c*mber".

I don't know Ali kept his hands off of him after that.

Postby Andre147

Good post Pinks.

I took this defeat well, disappointing but life goes on.

I dont believe he can win another world title but I believe he'll break all the other important records, including hendry's 36 rankers and the 18 TC events won. That will be a consolation prize.

Plus I hope ROS makes the 1000 centuries in a memorable tournament, Masters would be great like when he matched Hendry's 775.

Postby Dan-cat

Pink Ball wrote:O'Sullivan fans:

A lot of you have reacted very well to the defeat. A lot of you haven't. That's fine; I understand. You have no idea how devastated I was when White lost all those finals.

You've seen your man win five world titles. Nothing will take that away from him. Even as a non Ronnie fan, I have massively enjoyed watching him over the years. In a weird way, he's added a lot to my life. Seems strange to say that about someone I've never met. Let alone someone I don't particularly like. He's probably added even more to your lives. Same goes for Selby to Selby fans.

I posted before the championship that snooker has added a huge amount to my life. And it has. I said it was like a fourth child to me. In reality, it isn't anything close to that. If anything happened to my loved ones, it would hurt me a million times more than Jimmy White never winning the World Championship.

A few years ago, I could have lost m wife to crippling depression. Since then, I've learned to enjoy snooker a lot more because I know now how unimportant it is. It's not that I love the game less than I did. If anything, I love it more because I see it now for what it is: a game.

Call it an overly sentimental post, because it probably is. But take it as a bad effort to make you lads feel a little better.

Enjoy the rest of the championship. I know I will. Even if bloody Higgins wins it.

+1

Postby TheRocket

:hatoff:

Postby Alex0paul

Andre147 wrote:Good post Pinks.

I took this defeat well, disappointing but life goes on.

I dont believe he can win another world title but I believe he'll break all the other important records, including hendry's 36 rankers and the 18 TC events won. That will be a consolation prize.

Plus I hope ROS makes the 1000 centuries in a memorable tournament, Masters would be great like when he matched Hendry's 775.

But you were so adamant he'd win a sixth this year :chin:

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Hats off. Totally right. Its only a game. There is more important and meaningful stuff to deal with.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:Btw. Great interview from ROS. If anyone wants to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNKJGD9_Wpk

Not something of this "I don't care" rubbish. Proper interview. One of his best.

Complaining about political correctness. Bigot.

A decent conference, I suppose.

The press are vile, how they keep trying to goad people into giving them stories. Ronnie must've said 3 or 4 times to move on and not dwell on it before finally getting the hump with the shoulder barge questions.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Not something of this "I don't care" rubbish. Proper interview. One of his best.

At least he said he's gonna play until he is 50, that shows he still cares.
I would also like to thank Pinkie 4 his wonderfull post.

Postby TheRocket

Johnny Bravo wrote:

At least he said he's gonna play until he is 50, that shows he still cares.
I would also like to thank Pinkie 4 his wonderfull post.

He said a few times he'd like to play until he is 50. But I highly doubt he'd play on if his level dropped or if he was finished as a title contender. He obviously believes he can still play to a high level at that age. Maybe he can ,maybe not. We'll see.

Imo but thats just my personal opinion anyway I'd rather want to see him win his sixth world title and then retire. Ending his career on a high note.

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:

Complaining about political correctness. Bigot.

A decent conference, I suppose.

The press are vile, how they keep trying to goad people into giving them stories. Ronnie must've said 3 or 4 times to move on and not dwell on it before finally getting the hump with the shoulder barge questions.

That was a wonderful interview from ROS.

Saying he's gutted to lose and hopes to continue playing till he's 50, which I believe he will.

And sometimes we cant even get some perspective at how guys like Ronnie are bombarded with questions from the media to give them stories...

Like you say, he said 4 or 5 times it was all good and he didnt want to talk about it anymore, but the guys in the media kept asking him those questions... ROS was rightly upset by the end.

Media needs to have stories, and they would have loved if ROS used to swear words in that press conference.I'm glad ROS didnt give them that stupid pleasure.

Postby Cloud Strife

Absolute bullocks.

Postby Holden Chinaski

REPORTED

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Ronnie crashes out. For some reason he can't bring his A game to the Crucible since 2013. That was the last year he played consistently well throughout his sessions.

Well done Ali Carter, although I certainly didn't enjoy his attitude in this match. Ebdon must have coached him intensively before the match.

This makes this season quite a strange one for Ronnie. Winning 5 titles and still ending up short.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ronnie crashes out. For some reason he can't bring his A game to the Crucible since 2013. That was the last year he played consistently well throughout his sessions.

Well done Ali Carter, although I certainly didn't enjoy his attitude in this match. Ebdon must have coached him intensively before the match.

This makes this season quite a strange one for Ronnie. Winning 5 titles and still ending up short.

His 2007/2008 one is still better for me because he won the 2 most important titles, UK and Worlds. This season is probably is 2nd best.

And yes, he cant play consistently well since 2013. In 2014 he also had bad patches, especially against Murphy who couldn't take advantage and of course the 3rd and 4th sessions of the Final.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Did Ronnie not bring his A game, or did Carter prevent him being able to produce it?

I think it was obvious Ronnie didn't bring his A game. He played crap right from the start. Only in the last stages of the match did Ronnie find a bit of form. Ali played pretty good, but he didn't prevent Ronnie from playing his best.

Ali has played better against Ronnie in the past than he did now. Only difference now was Ronnie was playing his C game for most of the match.