Post a reply

Ronnie interview with the Metro

Postby SnookerFan

RONNIE O’SULLIVAN admits he is not really relishing the world championship, and firmly believes the tournament is such a marathon it does not always identify the best player.

O’Sullivan is chasing his sixth world title, and his first Crucible crown since 2013, with the famous 17-day event beginning in Sheffield on Saturday.

But the 42-year-old, who has won five ranking events in a wonderful season, insists he is not the biggest fan of snooker’s showpiece.

‘I just think it goes on a long time,’ O’Sullivan told Metro. ‘Three weeks is a long time to finish one tournament. Some matches you play over two or three days — that’s a long time to be playing the same guy.

‘I’ve never thought it’s necessarily the best player that wins it. You’ve had [Graeme] Dott win it, you’ve had Peter Ebdon win it, you’ve had a few guys win it that you wouldn’t think would win it. A lot can go on in 17 days.

‘It’s normally the guy that’s playing the most consistent and who can hold it together the longest. I’ve won the world championship just because you’ve held it together well and you’ve not had many dips in form. It’s not necessarily that I’ve been in top form.

‘Every time I’ve won the world championship I get to the end of it, and think, it’s a relief that it’s over.

‘I like the tournaments where it’s best of nine, best of 11, you’re playing a different opponent every day.

‘The Masters for me is a great tournament — the 16 best players in the world, every match feels like a final.You need to get out of the blocks early and impose yourself on the game. You normally have to play your best snooker to win those tournaments.’

O’Sullivan, with five world titles, trails Steve Davis and Ray Reardon with their six and Stephen Hendry with his record seven. O’Sullivan insists Hendry’s mark is almost certainly beyond him but clearly believes there is one more triumph in him.

‘I don’t think of getting to seven, it’s probably something that’s not really achievable. It could be done but it’s highly unlikely,’ O’Sullivan said.

‘I could probably, possibly, win another one, if I was being realistic. I’d rather concentrate on the stuff that’s achievable. To overtake him (Hendry) in majors, maybe to overtake him in ranking events — I could see myself winning another four ranking events before my career is over. A thousand centuries would be nice.

‘But I don’t see seven world titles as a realistic thing. It’s possible but it’s not on my list of things I want to do.’

Ronnie on…

World no.1 Mark Selby
‘You have to say he’s a great. I think he’ll maybe get to six world titles.’

Fellow star Judd Trump
‘When I’ve finished, I’d love him to take over and try to dominate snooker.’

Calling lower-ranked players ‘numpties’
‘I mean it. They’ve not even played amateur. They’re so bad they wouldn’t get in the local league team.’

https://www.metro.news/ronnie-osullivan ... t/1020834/

Re: Ronnie interview with the Metro

Postby Andre147

That's my main worry....

that he won't be up for a 17 day marathon at the Cucible... he wins every other tournament, but maybe The Crucible is a bit too much for him these days, even though he's already won it 5 times.

Hope not, as I think he'll win it again this year.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:That's my main worry....

that he won't be up for a 17 day marathon at the Cucible... he wins every other tournament, but maybe The Crucible is a bit too much for him these days, even though he's already won it 5 times.

Hope not, as I think he'll win it again this year.

Yeah, because Ronnie said it. So it's gospel. <ok>

Postby vodkadiet

Dott must have been awful against O'Sullivan the year he won. He even managed to lose 11 frames to O'Sullivan himself!

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

What a complete load of marmite!! Honestly, how can someone who creates such magic on the table create such bull when he opens his mouth? The dig against ebdon and dott were out of order as well.

Postby vodkadiet

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:What a complete load of marmite!! Honestly, how can someone who creates such magic on the table create such bull when he opens his mouth? The dig against ebdon and dott were out of order as well.

Dott and Ebdon are 2 players who have prevented him winning as many World titles as Hendry. He has animosity towards them no doubt.

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:Dott and Ebdon are 2 players who have prevented him winning as many World titles as Hendry. He has animosity towards them no doubt.

Selby beat Ronnie in a Crucible final, but Ronnie has praised him many times on analysis.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:On the table, a very good player.
In interview, he makes the Saviour seem like a master of the written word.
(No offence intended Saviour)

The Savior IS a master of the written word.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Dott and Ebdon are 2 players who have prevented him winning as many World titles as Hendry. He has animosity towards them no doubt.

Selby beat Ronnie in a Crucible final, but Ronnie has praised him many times on analysis.

Ronnie has praised Ebdon as well. He even asked him to practice with him in 2013 I think it was. They get along.

Postby SavoMilosevic

A genius on the table, but he's always been really annoying in interviews. Always says he's gonna quit snooker or don't play in this or that tournament and in the end he usually plays in most of them. I remember him saying in December that Crucible is boring and he won't be playing and would be filming 'Hustlers' instead - a lot of rubbish talk as usual.

Also what I find annoying about him is that he finds some kind of a hobby and literally can't stop talking about it (unless he's not praising Higgins, of course) - before it was jogging, now it's obviously cooking and healthy eating. :parrot:

And Ebdon was brilliant in 2002 and deserved the title after beating in-form Stevens and Hendry in epic deciders.

Postby SnookerFan

The 2002 was the tournament I first followed properly. (Previously I just dipped in and out.)

In a way Peter Ebdon got me into snooker. rofl Bit embarrassing.

Postby Andre147

SavoMilosevic wrote:A genius on the table, but he's always been really annoying in interviews. Always says he's gonna quit snooker or don't play in this or that tournament and in the end he usually plays in most of them. I remember him saying in December that Crucible is boring and he won't be playing and would be filming 'Hustlers' instead - a lot of rubbish talk as usual.

Also what I find annoying about him is that he finds some kind of a hobby and literally can't stop talking about it (unless he's not praising Higgins, of course) - before it was jogging, now it's obviously cooking and healthy eating. :parrot:

And Ebdon was brilliant in 2002 and deserved the title after beating in-form Stevens and Hendry in epic deciders.

Ronnie was never going to skip the Worlds. He might do the rest of the season, like in 2012/2013, but never the biggest title.

The only way I see him skipping it is if he drops off the Top 16 and cant be bothered to go to qualifiers.

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:

You can't really compare Selby to Dott/Ebdon, Selby has proven himself to be a great especially when it comes to the mental side of the game, hence 3 world titles.

I think Ronnie is right, Ebdon/Dott were one-hit wonders and were just persistent on the battle-field, they wouldn't be classed as greats.

Postby SnookerFan

I wouldn't classify Ebdon a one-hit wonder.

He was UK Champion, twice a China Open and three times a Crucible finalist.

Dott does pretty well at The Crucible, as well.

Postby mantorok

This is a typical interview from Ronnie pre-worlds, and tbh I don't blame him, Ronnie's always been a flow-player, if it comes it comes, he has fight in him but I think these days he's happy to let his form take control and not get wound up over it.

I expect if you ask any sports person they would say the same, the best way to play is in a relaxed fashion and then your natural game comes out, the more you think about your game the worse it's going to be.

Although saying that snooker does have the safety element of the game, and well, no matter how good your form is if you get embroiled in that with a safety-expert then form goes out of the window and you have to start fighting hard.

Guess that's why we love this game, so many factors and ways to win.

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:I wouldn't classify Ebdon a one-hit wonder.

He was UK Champion, twice a China Open and three times a Crucible finalist.

Dott does pretty well at The Crucible, as well.

I meant in terms of the WC, I know they've done well as players but they're not multiple winners and therefore, one-hit...