Post a reply

Slessor Unfazed By Potential O'Sullivan Showdown

Postby Deewee

Elliot Slessor is on a potential collision course with the Rocket for the second time this season at the upcoming China Open, but having already beaten Ronnie O’Sullivan this campaign, the world number 71 isn’t intimidated by the prospect of another match with the five-time World Champion.

If O’Sullivan negotiates his heldover tie with Ross Muir then he will face Slessor in Beijing. The pair’s last meeting was at the Northern Ireland Open last November. Having won the English Open, O’Sullivan still had the opportunity to claim snooker’s £1 million bonus, which is attached to winning all four Home Nations events. However, he was stopped in his tracks by Slessor, who stormed to a surprise 4-1 win.

The 2018 China Open has taken up added significance after a rise in prize money has seen it become the second most lucrative event in the sport outside of the World Championship. However, for Slessor the prospect of a showdown with the Rocket is enough motivation in itself.

Slessor said: “It is going to be a packed crowd and that is what I like to play in front of. With the prospect of facing Ronnie, I’ve found this tournament a lot easier to practise for. I enjoy the big games and it is natural to be able to get up for them.

“Just to play against him is a huge honour. He is the greatest player that has ever lived and facing him was one of my ambitions setting out. Win or lose that is a dream in itself.

“It was a fantastic experience in Belfast. I know going into these games that if I can perform and he doesn’t quite play his best then I have a chance and fancy the job. I have high expectations of myself. Everybody knows he is the best ever, but in many ways he is the same as everybody else. We all have days where we don’t perform. He just plays to a higher level of consistency than the rest of us.”

Slessor went on to record the best ranking run of his career at the Northern Ireland Open, reaching the semi-final stage. He bowed out with a 6-2 defeat against Mark Williams and although the 23-year-old wasn’t happy with his performance in the last four, he hopes to draw from the experience.

“I really did have mixed emotions, as my semi-final performance was probably one of the worst of this season. I was absolutely delighted to go on the best run of my career, but once you get to these matches you want to perform. I’ve watched that match back a few times and I was frustrated that I gifted him a lot of his chances. I tend to look back on and review the matches where I have played badly, rather than the better ones. You are more interested in those ones because that is where you can learn.

“Mark didn’t need to play his best in that game, but he has been around and won everything there is to win. There aren’t many situations he hasn’t been in at some point in his career. You can’t buy that experience. I just have to keep trying to build mine up.”

The Gateshead potter had admitted in Belfast that he was ready to quit the sport prior to the season getting underway due to financial pressures.

“I had basically chucked it. I had 10 days when I was near to giving up, and found out that Barry Hearn had cut the entrance fees,” said Slessor. “That saved me about £5,000 so I thought I’d come back and give it another go. It relieves the pressure so much when you are constantly fighting tooth and nail.”

The Englishman is now reaping the rewards from his decision to stick at it. However, he needs some strong showings in the final two events of the season to push his way from 71st into the top 64 of the world rankings. His performances this season should be enough to maintain his professional status via the one-year list. However, he is hopeful he can clinch a spot in the top half of the tour, which allows him to keep his current ranking points.

“I’m desperate to try and get into that top 64. I feel like a player who should be in the top half of the standings. Not only because of this season, but I do feel I have matured a lot. It is still in my hands. I’ve taken the approach to stop looking at the rankings because it is too frustrating seeing other people around me get the results. I’m going to concentrate on my own games and follow my matches. If I can win enough then I will get into that 64, it doesn’t matter what everybody else is doing.”

Following his trip to China, Slessor will wrap his season up at the World Championship. He’ll be at the qualifiers in Sheffield and is hoping for an upturn in fortunes at snooker’s biggest events and is aiming to reach the final stages for the first time.

“It is the ultimate ambition growing up as a child. You watch everyone play at the Crucible. It is just something you always want to do. If you don’t every qualify then I think it is a crying shame. You see some of the people on tour who have given their lives to snooker and haven’t made it there. I think that will always be in the back of their heads and it becomes a chip on the shoulder. I want to get it done as soon as possible so you feel more comfortable qualifying there in the future.”
http://www.worldsnooker.com/slessor-unf ... -showdown/

Re: Slessor Unfazed By Potential O'Sullivan Showdown

Postby Deewee

Poor Ross Muir, they're already writing him out.

Interesting to hear about the abolishing of entry fees saving his career. I think he's definitely top 32 material, so good to hear he persevered. That top 64 place is so vital since it enables you to play against the bottom 64 in many ranking events. I think he needs a couple wins in both events to make it happen, O'Sullivan obviously a major obstacle so he probably needs to make the Crucible. You're not going to last on the tour very long or at least you won't do anything significant if you keep going through the one-year list and starting all over again every time.

Postby TheSaviour

Elliot is a great player. Surely he shouldn´t be unfazed it by any ways.

Yet the outcome is always exactly the same to everyone. And that is something which is never going to change. The outcome is a minimal to non-existent expressions, minimal to non-existing looks. It is a case always only to succumb into it while having completely other plans. But Elliot surely is someone who can cope even with the minimal looks. He won´t be going away. Most other just change their meant to be aggression or outspokenly to some funny faces and allowing to get carried to away when the heavy pressure is on. But every feel of an aggression is a good one. Only possible way to be somebody, to hit through. Hopefully Eliiot won´t be too soft.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Alex0paul wrote:Tomorrow’s headline “Slessor Fazed by Tom Ford”

Exactly Alex.

Tom is exactly the sort of player who would roll over for ROS. That's why I have admiration for Slessor. Not the greatest player in the world, but has the balls to put up a fight against ROS unlike some. End result - he comfortably beats ROS twice. Fair play to the lad

Postby vodkadiet

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Tomorrow’s headline “Slessor Fazed by Tom Ford”

Exactly Alex.

Tom is exactly the sort of player who would roll over for ROS. That's why I have admiration for Slessor. Not the greatest player in the world, but has the balls to put up a fight against ROS unlike some. End result - he comfortably beats ROS twice. Fair play to the lad

The last time Ford played O'Sullivan it was the worst I had seen anyone play against O'Sullivan, apart from Milkins.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but Ronnie didn't even seem to be trying too hard in that match, besides the 147. Just my honest opinion. I've seen Ronnie lose matches before, where it seemed to me he was making some odd choices and made me think he just wanted to go home. Shoot me.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but Ronnie didn't even seem to be trying too hard in that match, besides the 147. Just my honest opinion. I've seen Ronnie lose matches before, where it seemed to me he was making some odd choices and made me think he just wanted to go home. Shoot me.

MATCH FIXING ALLEGATIONS!

Postby TheSaviour

Elliot just better player, absolutely no fault play.

I bit late burst. As the shop is already closed. And it won´t be opening anymore. There´s your bonafide genius. Your own fault started to work with him. Such a clown, and never mind how much out of his own mind at the time he is, but not much any big flaws! Appreciate the efforts nevertheless. Not just anyone can actually put ANY pressure towards the big guns.

I wonder where that false confidence of theirs originates from.. rofl It´s always like, ppppppppssssssssstttttt, you (a 16 year old) are such a brainy person, you reason this out. :-) And every one of them are suchs. Time to get real? Even more than they lately have done?

Probably Ronnie should allow a few more persons to be themselves back again. Suchs a ground lost already. Arrrrrggggghh, THIS IS NOT MINE ! I COULD DO THAT ALSO, BUT SO FAR HASN`T BECAUSE I DON`T KNOW THE STYLE. And then they are already gone, just too big scare of how he feels about it. The dogs, the reds+blacks, the blacks, the black+pinks, the blacks+white, everyone of them. Gone, gone, goner. :hatoff: Anyone, his call. Would just recommend he would allow them to have even some room to operate.

But who cares!! As at least now they are not anymore living in those wonder and false-worlds. Not arrived before it actually would. Not will, but would.
Last edited by TheSaviour on 06 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Dan-cat

My post from another thread. I agree 100% Holden, he gets paid to play in China, prob has to win minimum one match to fulfill his contract, and did some promo work - dress up in some garms. 147 was a cheeky flip-the-bird bonus, back on the plane home to his lovely girlfriend.

Dan-cat wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:Sless lost. Lollllllll

I’m telling you now Ronnie threw that game. And no it’s not because i’m a fanboy (I am) it’s because he threw that game. He was playing just fine.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote: he gets paid to play in China, prob has to win minimum one match to fulfill his contract, and did some promo work - dress up in some garms. 147 was a cheeky flip-the-bird bonus, back on the plane home to his lovely girlfriend.

Yep, that's what it looked like to me..

He had some good chances to make a 147 in other tournaments recently and didn't even think about it. This time he went for it from the start.

Postby vodkadiet

The fact that O'Sullivan fans would rather he threw the match speaks volumes. True sporting greats don't lose on purpose.

I feel O'Sullivan tried to win but didn't give anywhere near enough effort. This equates to throwing the match.

Tennis players get fined for lack of effort. Maybe snooker authorities need to focus on stamping this out more than whether Stuart Bingham has backed Xiao Guodong to beat Robert Milkins?

Postby vodkadiet

The snooker authorities are still very amateurish in comparison to other sports.

It is plain to see that betting on a match between 2 other players is irrelevant yet throwing your own match isn't.

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:The snooker authorities are still very amateurish in comparison to other sports.

It is plain to see that betting on a match between 2 other players is irrelevant yet throwing your own match isn't.

They cannot prove anything conclusively in regards to tanking or throwing matches, even if it is obvious to the viewer what is going on. I honestly don't blame them for not wanting to open that particular can of worms.

Postby Iranu

vodkadiet wrote:The snooker authorities are still very amateurish in comparison to other sports.

Betting on other players' matches isn't necessarily irrelevant because you could be colluding with the players in question.

Also I don't believe that not giving 100% and throwing matches are the same thing. Very few players give 100% effort 100% of the time.

Postby vodkadiet

How is 100 percent effort quantified?

Surely in this day and age devices could be attached to a player's head which meant you could read their every thought?