Post a reply

World Cup

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Monday 3rd ~Sunday 9th of July at the City Sports Park Stadium in Wuxi

The World Cup returns with China B in the shape of 19 year old Zhou Yuelong and 17 year old Yan Bingtao defending the title. This year both Zhou and Yan qualified for the Crucible for the first time and Zhou Yuelong is now a top 32 player.

In 2011 when China Won it Liang Wenbo was Ding Junhui's team mate and Liang will be returning to the side this year having missed out to Xiao Guodong in 2015.

Current World Champion Mark Selby wont be competing this year having played in 2011 and 2015 his place goes to Barry Hawkins who will be playing along side Judd Trump.

Also not playing is Stephen Maguire having helped John Higgins take Scotland to the final in 2015 but this year Anthony McGill for the first time will be representing his country along side World no 2 Higgins.

Who will be crowned World Cup Champions?

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: World Cup

Postby Vallomas

I fancied 2015 tournament as it gave me the chance to watch some good players who were amateurs at the time -or had just turned professionals. Hossein Vafaei, Thor Chuan Leong, Hamza Akbar, Zhou Yuelong and Yan Bingtao of course. I remember that Itaro Santos was also good in his World Cup games, but he didn't manage to win a single match as a tour player.

I am curious to see if there will be any other young talents this year. Finland's ex-gymnast Heikki Niva and Israeli, Sachar Ruberg, are two players I want to watch.

Postby Wildey

Vallomas wrote:I fancied 2015 tournament as it gave me the chance to watch some good players who were amateurs at the time -or had just turned professionals. Hossein Vafaei, Thor Chuan Leong, Hamza Akbar, Zhou Yuelong and Yan Bingtao of course. I remember that Itaro Santos was also good in his World Cup games, but he didn't manage to win a single match as a tour player.

I am curious to see if there will be any other young talents this year. Finland's ex-gymnast Heikki Niva and Israeli, Sachar Ruberg, are two players I want to watch.

Worst than that Itaro Santos won just 11 frames as a pro in 16 tournaments.

Igor Should play alone he might stand a chance then

Postby SnookerFan

Vallomas wrote:I fancied 2015 tournament as it gave me the chance to watch some good players who were amateurs at the time -or had just turned professionals. Hossein Vafaei, Thor Chuan Leong, Hamza Akbar, Zhou Yuelong and Yan Bingtao of course. I remember that Itaro Santos was also good in his World Cup games, but he didn't manage to win a single match as a tour player.

Yes, this is the plus side to a tournament that I personally find to be a bit crappy. If nothing else, it gives some younger players chances to shine.

The two that best made use of this were Zhou Yuelong and Yan Bingtao obviously, and I think are both currently establishing themselves as players in their own right.

Will anybody do it this year?

Maybe somebody from a country not specifically known for snooker?

Postby Vallomas

The German youngsters will have their chance to shine too - especially Kleckers, who showed some signs of his talent in Riga and by winning a tour place through Q-School of course.

The Cypriot amateur who will be Georgiou's team mate (Antonis Poullos) is another player that I would like to see playing.

Postby SnookerEd25

Wildey wrote:Worst than that Itaro Santos won just 11 frames as a pro in 16 tournaments.

Quite astonishing, then, that he should have won over a quarter of them in one match, against a player as highly ranked as Shaun Murphy (3-6 2016 UK ch'ship), and he led 3-1 at the MSI...

Postby jopesalmi

Really interesting to see Heikki Niva playing. He is a former world class gymnast, multiple finnish champion, but ended his career, because he didn't qualify to olympics at Rio. His goal is to become a professional player in few years.

Postby kolompar

This is the best lineup in these recent World Cups, all countries on the main tour represented and the only team with two amateurs is Brazil.

Postby Deewee

Swail looking for a snooker on the pink

Postby Deewee

He fails.
I'd prefer a one shot at a time doubles format similar to the World Cup of Pool in these doubles frames rather than one player doing the whole break by themselves. Makes it much more interesting, to me at least

Postby Deewee

Un-Nooh-McGill respotted black. Three shots and Thep takes it, 3-1 Thailand

Postby Deewee

The Cypriot Antonis Poullos really seems to be out of his element, not that the standard is great otherwise. Really sloppy play

Postby Deewee

Heikki Niva against Zhou Yuelong. Be interesting to see how Niva plays. I've seen him play a few frames in the local amateur tournaments. He didn't impress me that much even though he was obviously one of the best and scored a century. According to his coach he's having a hard time transferring his game from practice to the match table. Sounds like a universal problem, but we'll see.

Postby TheSaviour

I am also still here.. Just going to post if there´s something genuinely interesting going on..

Just got completely bored about the useless and unnecessary hustle and bustle around the REAL game.

Postby SnookerFan

Oh right, yes. I forgot about this event. Aint bothered too much, but might catch some at the weekend.

Postby SnookerEd25

kolompar wrote:This is the best lineup in these recent World Cups, all countries on the main tour represented and the only team with two amateurs is Brazil.

And they've made a good start - 4 up on Malaysia.

Postby SnookerEd25

Pink Ball wrote:I've enjoyed this morning's play, low quality or not. It's a novelty event, but it's a pretty decent one concept-wise.

At least it's proper Snooker. <ok>

Postby OoNebsoO

Wimbledon and Tour de France on my Eurosports.

Small screen on bet365 it is...

Some Chinese sites cover third table as well per chance?

Postby hendry_fan

OoNebsoO wrote:Wimbledon and Tour de France on my Eurosports.

I,ve got 1 eye on Murrays match and my other eye on the Hong Kong vs Germany match.

Great start for Scotland btw.

Thailand 3-2 Scotland. :roll:

Postby kolompar

Deewee wrote:I'd prefer a one shot at a time doubles format similar to the World Cup of Pool in these doubles frames rather than one player doing the whole break by themselves. Makes it much more interesting, to me at least

I agree, World Cup of Pool is scotch doubles all the way with no singles, makes it much more of a team event.

Postby kolompar

gcjdavid wrote:
OoNebsoO wrote:Wimbledon and Tour de France on my Eurosports.

That's for sure.

Table 1: http://www.zhibo.tv/10005
Table 2: http://www.zhibo.tv/30463098
Table 3: http://www.zhibo.tv/31293054

Cool, thanks. China match looks one sided, second match looks poor, table 3 is the most interesting.

Postby Dan-cat

kolompar wrote:
Deewee wrote:I'd prefer a one shot at a time doubles format similar to the World Cup of Pool in these doubles frames rather than one player doing the whole break by themselves. Makes it much more interesting, to me at least

I agree, World Cup of Pool is scotch doubles all the way with no singles, makes it much more of a team event.

it would take forever

Postby kolompar

They could play it with a Shootout format.