Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Scottish Open Quarter-Finals !!!!

Postby Andre147

2 back to back tons from Robbo to lead 3-2.

Nothing wrong with his scoring, but it's when he gets bogged down in matches his biggest problem.

We couldn't get Robbo v Ronnie at the English Open, so hopefully we'll get a Semis match between them this time.

Postby TheRocket

As I said the last time. Robertson is by far the best breakbuilder next to Ronnie. And I agree with Johnny Bravo. In terms of best/peak level he's just second after ROS. Every department of his game is spot on.

Poor shot selection from Robbo here though. Should have taken the red on. Again a prime example of negative play.

Postby Dan-cat

Andy Spark wrote:Why can’t snooker pros understand how to use adverbs? “He hit it beautiful”, “he caught the red a little too thick” etc etc

English sounds ugly when not spoken “proper”.

English is a really beautiful language when spoken “properly”.

Tru doe innit

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:As I said the last time. Robertson is by far the best breakbuilder next to Ronnie. And I agree with Johnny Bravo. In terms of best/peak level he's just second after ROS. Every department of his game is spot on.

Poor shot selection from Robbo here though. Should have taken the red on. Again a prime example of negative play.

Even though he had a very poor last season, he still managed to get 34 tons. That says something.
The only problem he has atm is his lack of confidence and negative play.

When Ronnie's era ends, I wish the best players after him to take over and fullfill their potential.
To me, those are Robbo and Trump. In the future, maybe even Brecel and Bingtao.

It's a shame that a boring grinder like Selby has more titles than someone like Robbo, given the fact that the latter is the better player.
Last edited by Johnny Bravo on 15 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:Is Robertson the third best breakbuilder of all time after O'Sullivan and Hendry?

Probably. If he plays long enough, he'll definitely surpass Higgins. ATM Higgins has 160 tons in front, but he's also 7 years older.
Even if Robbo has poor seasons, he'll still get around 30 a season and pass him.

Speaking of tons, Trump is the only one that might surpass Ronnie at some point, given he's so young, but that will depend on how long both keep on playing.

Postby TheRocket

Johnny Bravo wrote:

It's a shame that a boring grinder like Selby has more titles than someone like Robbo, given the fact that the latter is the better player.

Yes, fully agree. Selby having won two more world titles than Robertson is really strange, given that Robertson at his best is clearly the better player. But it could be even worse. Selby might equal Higgins soon. That would be one of the biggest misrepresentations in any sport tbh.

People can call Selby Comeback king, fighter or whatever they want but the reality is that Ronnie and Higgins have bottled the world finals against him, not because Selby played vintage stuff.

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Yes, fully agree. Selby having won two more world titles than Robertson is really strange, given that Robertson at his best is clearly the better player. But it could be even worse. Selby might equal Higgins soon. That would be one of the biggest misrepresentations in any sport tbh.

People can call Selby Comeback king, fighter or whatever they want but the reality is that Ronnie and Higgins have bottled the world finals against him, not because Selby played vintage stuff.

Couldn't agree more.

Had Ronnie not missed that black when he was leading 10-5, I'm sure things would have unfolded entirely different. Worst case scenario, he would have still went into the 3rd session with a 11-6 lead.
Same with Higgins. He was leading 10-4 at one point and then somehow he lost the plot.

If Selby would play amazing snooker and destroy his opponents, I would praise him, I really would. But as it stands, crawling and stumbling your way to a title, while barely surviving certain rounds isn't something one should admire.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:Is Robertson the third best breakbuilder of all time after O'Sullivan and Hendry?

How would you judge that?

Who has the most total clearances of all time? Who has the most centuries? Who has the highest ratio of centuries/total clearances to frames played?

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote:

How would you judge that?

Who has the most total clearances of all time? Who has the most centuries? Who has the highest ratio of centuries/total clearances to frames played?

The fairest way is probably to take into account the centuries per frame ratio, but we should apply that criteria to the player's entire career (we all know at the beginning and at the end of with the ratio declines) or to a certain time span from a player's career (a couple of years at least, 5 or 10 IMO), maybe even the peak years.

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:Couldn't agree more.

Had Ronnie not missed that black when he was leading 10-5, I'm sure things would have unfolded entirely different. Worst case scenario, he would have still went into the 3rd session with a 11-6 lead.
Same with Higgins. He was leading 10-4 at one point and then somehow he lost the plot.

If Selby would play amazing snooker and destroy his opponents, I would praise him, I really would. But as it stands, crawling and stumbling your way to a title, while barely surviving certain rounds isn't something one should admire.

Selby plays a different style to Ronnie, and one that won't win him as many fans as Ronnie. I also think it's fair to say that Ronnie is a much more naturally gifted player to Selby, there's no really any debate on that.

But I never liked the idea that this makes Selby some mug player. He just has a rock-solid safety game. He plays the style that the majority of players did in the 80s, where if he can't find a guaranteed shot/break, he'll make the balls awkward because he's so confident that he can win when the frame his scrappy. It's up to his opponent to take that confidence away from him by outplaying him. Something a lot of players struggle to do against Selby.

I can live with people saying Selby isn't as good a player as Ronnie. But I don't think Selby is a mug when compared to Robertson. Even if Robertson is 'better than Selby when at his best'. Robertson should find ways to play his best more often, if that's the case. Or at the very least, learn how to win when you're not as your best.

That's the mark of a great player. Not who has the best A-game. Who has the best C-game is a better indicator.

If Selby was so mediocre, players of the class of Ronnie / Higgins wouldn't have lost such big leads against him.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Given the criteria I just posted, here's how things stand at the moment:

1. Ronnie - a ton every 11.42 frames
2. Trump - a ton every 11.73 frames
3. Ding - a ton every 11.75 frames
4. Robbo - a ton every 12.15 frames
5. Marco Fu - a ton every 13.99 frames (this one surprised me, didn't think he'd be that far up)
6. Allen - a ton every 14.45 frames
7. Hendry - a ton every 15.18 frames
8. Selby - a ton every 15.19 frames
9. J. Higgins - a ton every 16.21 frames
10. Murphy - a ton every 16.7 frames

This list will probably change in the future, since some of these players will start declining and their stats will also decline.

This method has its flaws, since the playing conditions have varied throughout the years (tables, cloth, balls used, pocket size, etc). I'm sure Davis would have made more tons if he had faster cloth and lighter balls.
And speaking of Davis, his stats are heavily affected by the fact that he went on to have such a long career.
With this in mind, I think we should take into consideration the best 5/10 years of a player's career.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:Selby plays a different style to Ronnie, and one that won't win him as many fans as Ronnie. I also think it's fair to say that Ronnie is a much more naturally gifted player to Selby, there's no really any debate on that.

But I never liked the idea that this makes Selby some mug player. He just has a rock-solid safety game. He plays the style that the majority of players did in the 80s, where if he can't find a guaranteed shot/break, he'll make the balls awkward because he's so confident that he can win when the frame his scrappy. It's up to his opponent to take that confidence away from him by outplaying him. Something a lot of players struggle to do against Selby.

I can live with people saying Selby isn't as good a player as Ronnie. But I don't think Selby is a mug when compared to Robertson. Even if Robertson is 'better than Selby when at his best'. Robertson should find ways to play his best more often, if that's the case. Or at the very least, learn how to win when you're not as your best.

That's the mark of a great player. Not who has the best A-game. Who has the best C-game is a better indicator.

If Selby was so mediocre, players of the class of Ronnie / Higgins wouldn't have lost such big leads against him.

Postby Johnny Bravo

One more thing I'd like to add. Even if we only take into account the 90's decade, Hendry still only manages a ton every 13,95 frames.
So the likes of Ronnie, Trump, Ding and Robbo are still superior.

If we take into account the 00's, Ronnie manages a ton every 9.68 frames :win:
Last edited by Johnny Bravo on 15 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.