Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Northern Ireland Open last 32 !!!!

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:Robertson berating the Flat 128 too;

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/snooker/nort ... tory.shtml

Though, complaining about the lack of practice table and facilities, rather than the overabundance of numpties.

He also had a dig at the Chinese players too, I see.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:He also had a dig at the Chinese players too, I see.

Oh yeah, didn't notice that.

Odd comment. Not sure what he meant by it.

Alluded to the Chinese players hogging all the practice tables and not letting others get a look in. Mentions something about an unwritten rule not being adhered to, which is fair enough I guess.

If there is a backstage etiquette amongst players regarding certain things like practice tables, then I can understand why Robertson would be annoyed if it isn't being upheld. That said, it's up to the venue and world snooker to provide everyone with adequate facilities.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
Alluded to the Chinese players hogging all the practice tables and not letting others get a look in. Mentions something about an unwritten rule not being adhered to, which is fair enough I guess.

If there is a backstage etiquette amongst players regarding certain things like practice tables, then I can understand why Robertson would be annoyed if it isn't being upheld.That said, it's up to the venue and world snooker to provide everyone with adequate facilities.

That is the issue for me.

Not the Chinese, or the flat 128 structure per se. The venues aren't providing, or can't provide, adequate facilities.

Postby Dan-cat

Excellent candid interview with Trump. I didn't realise he wore contact lenses until this summer. I know how that is if the aircon gets in your eyes, horribly dry. I refuse to drive more traffic to the D*ily M*il, so here is the interview in full.

'A recurring scene has been playing out in Judd Trump's life over the past year. It involves a hotel check-in desk, a smirking member of staff and eventually that same question.
'It's almost every time,' he says. 'They'll look at my details and say something like, 'Oh, that's unfortunate — do you wish you had a different name?'
'At first, after the election, it wasn't so much, but now it's worse. I mean, he's on Twitter saying stuff all the time, isn't he? He's giving the rest of us a bad name.'

With that, the 28-year-old laughs. Funny things, reputations. The calmer of two Trumps has long been fighting his own battles against public perception in the course of world domination. He is forever marketed as snooker's charismatic heir to Ronnie O'Sullivan, but the difficulty with being the next big thing is that 'next', eventually, has to be 'now'.
Trump is simply not quite there yet, and folk in the press and public tend to point it out.

In his own eyes, the six years since he broke through and reached the 2011 World Championship final rate at only '5/10', which is a rather brutal appraisal of eight ranking titles and two brief spells as world No 1.
'I should have won more,' he says. 'Definitely. If I practised like Mark Selby I might have done twice as many.'
To hear his views on why he can't put in those extra hours is fascinating in its honesty. It is no less interesting to hear him talk about eye surgery, and why he now sees a brighter future, starting on Tuesday at the UK Championship. He starts with the subjects of ambition and love.

'Look at Selby (the world No 1 and three-time world champion),' he says. 'I'm not as dedicated as him. I don't have the drive he has to break every record. My aim is to win as many tournaments as I play in but some people absolutely love snooker.
'For me, I do like it but I don't love it with that passion. I find it hard to practise for three or four hours and they are doing six or seven hours a day. I wish I had the dedication of Selby. But I don't have it so I can't regret it. The stress every day would be too much. I just don't think I fit into that character.
'Obviously I want to win all the big tournaments — I would hate to look back and not have won them. I also think, for me, there's something about reaching a certain level rather than getting a certain number of wins.
'My aim is to raise the standard, to blast away the field and show you are a whole level apart in that moment, rather than consistently win tournaments.'
The parallels with O'Sullivan and Trump have always been easy to draw. They take risks, both are great entertainers who are unplayable at their best, personalities in an era lacking in pulse. They can also switch between genius and petulance, frustrated by snooker's grind.

In the past week alone, Trump has reached the final at the Shanghai Masters, losing to O'Sullivan, and then conceded his first-round match at the Northern Ireland Open on Tuesday by thrashing the balls with his cue after missing a pot.
But while they share a flair for the dramatic, O'Sullivan, for all his battles with depression and motivation, has been a serial winner.
World No 2 Trump, meanwhile, is yet to show he can fully elevate himself from a player of great snooker to an all-time great snooker player. He makes no excuses for his priorities, saying: 'It would be nice to say I won seven world titles, yet I want a good life as well while I play.'
But there has also been a shift in attitude in recent years.

A man who once described himself as 'part-time snooker player, full-time international playboy', now says: 'I have grown up. I used to get carried away, like you do when you suddenly have money.
'I remember when I bought a Ferrari and I was just looking at it and thinking, 'I want to drive it now'. So I did and suddenly I wasn't practising. I have settled down more now.'
Perhaps the biggest change for the good was in the summer. Trump has rarely discussed the extent of his struggles with his eyesight but admits it was 'atrocious' before he finally overcome his fear of laser treatment.
'I wore lenses from around 17 and that really isn't any good for snooker,' he says. 'You don't just put them in and then automatically see perfectly.

'I remember an event in Sheffield six years ago. I could barely open my eyes they were so dry from the air conditioning. I lost 4-1 and I was literally missing balls. I think I would say 20 per cent of the last 10 years I have played with perfect vision. It got to a point in the summer where I thought I just had to do something.'
Having had the treatment, he is convinced he can get back to world No 1. 'The difference is ridiculous,' he says. 'Honestly, I went in to the place, Optegra Eye Health Care, and now it's completely different.'
With a win in the European Masters last month, the signs are good. The next stop is the UK Championship in York, part of snooker's big three.
'These are the stages I love,' he says. 'Give me a crowd and that's when I'm at my best.'
Whether Trump's best is good enough for world domination remains to be seen.

Postby Pedro147

I don't see anything wrong with Robertson calling this out. If WS want events with 128 players present then it must cater for that with things like practice tables. In the last few events we've seen empty venues, poor atmospheres and poor conditions for players. This is bad for the match standards which will turn fans away from attending or watching on TV.

I'm driving up from Dublin for the semi final second session on Saturday but the venue looks awful for snooker. Similar to when they moved the old Irish Masters from Goffs to City West, City West was a hotel and awful for atmosphere.

Postby SnookerFan

Pedro147 wrote:I don't see anything wrong with Robertson calling this out. If WS want events with 128 players present then it must cater for that with things like practice tables. In the last few events we've seen empty venues, poor atmospheres and poor conditions for players. This is bad for the match standards which will turn fans away from attending or watching on TV.

It's a problem that needs addressing, for sure.

Hearn is adamant that flat 128s are here to stay. Fair enough. Then show the way to cater towards that.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Dan-cat wrote:Excellent candid interview with Trump. I didn't realise he wore contact lenses until this summer. I know how that is if the aircon gets in your eyes, horribly dry. I refuse to drive more traffic to the D*ily M*il, so here is the interview in full.

'A recurring scene has been playing out in Judd Trump's life over the past year. It involves a hotel check-in desk, a smirking member of staff and eventually that same question.
'It's almost every time,' he says. 'They'll look at my details and say something like, 'Oh, that's unfortunate — do you wish you had a different name?'
'At first, after the election, it wasn't so much, but now it's worse. I mean, he's on Twitter saying stuff all the time, isn't he? He's giving the rest of us a bad name.'

With that, the 28-year-old laughs. Funny things, reputations. The calmer of two Trumps has long been fighting his own battles against public perception in the course of world domination. He is forever marketed as snooker's charismatic heir to Ronnie O'Sullivan, but the difficulty with being the next big thing is that 'next', eventually, has to be 'now'.
Trump is simply not quite there yet, and folk in the press and public tend to point it out.

In his own eyes, the six years since he broke through and reached the 2011 World Championship final rate at only '5/10', which is a rather brutal appraisal of eight ranking titles and two brief spells as world No 1.
'I should have won more,' he says. 'Definitely. If I practised like Mark Selby I might have done twice as many.'
To hear his views on why he can't put in those extra hours is fascinating in its honesty. It is no less interesting to hear him talk about eye surgery, and why he now sees a brighter future, starting on Tuesday at the UK Championship. He starts with the subjects of ambition and love.

'Look at Selby (the world No 1 and three-time world champion),' he says. 'I'm not as dedicated as him. I don't have the drive he has to break every record. My aim is to win as many tournaments as I play in but some people absolutely love snooker.
'For me, I do like it but I don't love it with that passion. I find it hard to practise for three or four hours and they are doing six or seven hours a day. I wish I had the dedication of Selby. But I don't have it so I can't regret it. The stress every day would be too much. I just don't think I fit into that character.
'Obviously I want to win all the big tournaments — I would hate to look back and not have won them. I also think, for me, there's something about reaching a certain level rather than getting a certain number of wins.
'My aim is to raise the standard, to blast away the field and show you are a whole level apart in that moment, rather than consistently win tournaments.'
The parallels with O'Sullivan and Trump have always been easy to draw. They take risks, both are great entertainers who are unplayable at their best, personalities in an era lacking in pulse. They can also switch between genius and petulance, frustrated by snooker's grind.

In the past week alone, Trump has reached the final at the Shanghai Masters, losing to O'Sullivan, and then conceded his first-round match at the Northern Ireland Open on Tuesday by thrashing the balls with his cue after missing a pot.
But while they share a flair for the dramatic, O'Sullivan, for all his battles with depression and motivation, has been a serial winner.
World No 2 Trump, meanwhile, is yet to show he can fully elevate himself from a player of great snooker to an all-time great snooker player. He makes no excuses for his priorities, saying: 'It would be nice to say I won seven world titles, yet I want a good life as well while I play.'

A man who once described himself as 'part-time snooker player, full-time international playboy', now says: 'I have grown up. I used to get carried away, like you do when you suddenly have money.
'I remember when I bought a Ferrari and I was just looking at it and thinking, 'I want to drive it now'. So I did and suddenly I wasn't practising. I have settled down more now.'
Perhaps the biggest change for the good was in the summer. Trump has rarely discussed the extent of his struggles with his eyesight but admits it was 'atrocious' before he finally overcome his fear of laser treatment.
'I wore lenses from around 17 and that really isn't any good for snooker,' he says. 'You don't just put them in and then automatically see perfectly.

'I remember an event in Sheffield six years ago. I could barely open my eyes they were so dry from the air conditioning. I lost 4-1 and I was literally missing balls. I think I would say 20 per cent of the last 10 years I have played with perfect vision. It got to a point in the summer where I thought I just had to do something.'
Having had the treatment, he is convinced he can get back to world No 1. 'The difference is ridiculous,' he says. 'Honestly, I went in to the place, Optegra Eye Health Care, and now it's completely different.'
With a win in the European Masters last month, the signs are good. The next stop is the UK Championship in York, part of snooker's big three.
'These are the stages I love,' he says. 'Give me a crowd and that's when I'm at my best.'

Nice interview.But his excuse of not having the dedication to practise as hard as Selby is a bit like Jimmy saying if he didn't drink the Thames dry and blow 2 million on crack that he would habe won 5 World titles.Dedication is a major component of reaching your potential although Selby just has a better all round game and temperament than Judd who may never even win the World Championship.Another Jimmy perhaps.

Postby LeonD123

Chalk McHugh wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Excellent candid interview with Trump. I didn't realise he wore contact lenses until this summer. I know how that is if the aircon gets in your eyes, horribly dry. I refuse to drive more traffic to the D*ily M*il, so here is the interview in full.

Nice interview.But his excuse of not having the dedication to practise as hard as Selby is a bit like Jimmy saying if he didn't drink the Thames dry and blow 2 million on crack that he would habe won 5 World titles.Dedication is a major component of reaching your potential although Selby just has a better all round game and temperament than Judd who may never even win the World Championship.Another Jimmy perhaps.

« drink the Thames dry and blow 2 million on crack »

You made my day ahahah

Postby Pedro147

I also think that Trump has some really glaring technique issues such as his elbow position and alignment that he never corrected. Outside of maybe cue power and breaks, there's not one other area of Trump's game that I'd class as strong - safety, temperament, consistency, concentration, dedication.

As a side note, in the interview years ago when he described himself as a part-time snooker player and full-time international playboy he also said he liked being called Studd Trump.

Postby Chalk McHugh

LeonD123 wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:

« drink the Thames dry and blow 2 million on crack »

You made my day ahahah

Thats not to forget the 5 million he blew on gambling,also.They say there's no dead certs in sport but betting on Jimmy losing a World final was money in the bank.How could you lose?No way known.Jimmy missed a trick there,for sure.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Pedro147 wrote:I also think that Trump has some really glaring technique issues such as his elbow position and alignment that he never corrected. Outside of maybe cue power and breaks, there's not one other area of Trump's game that I'd class as strong - safety, temperament, consistency, concentration, dedication.

As a side note, in the interview years ago when he described himself as a part-time snooker player and full-time international playboy he also said he liked being called Studd Trump.

Or Dudd Chump if he keeps it up.

Postby Andre147

Pedro147 wrote:I think the 3 oldies and Yan Bingtao are the only ones I fancied to win this.

When do the longer frame matches begin - quarters or semis?

quarters best of 9, semis best of 11, final best of 17