Post a reply

Re: The English Open Final Thread

Postby SnookerFan

Wilson is a solid player. That's my honest opinion.

He has been in two ranking finals already this season. Okay, he got spanked, but still.

He played well against Ursenbacher. He has won the Shanghai Masters.

We're guilty in this day and age of blaming anybody who isn't Hendry or Ronnie standard of being useless.

Wilson isn't useless. I rank him alongside Ricky Walden level. Best Of All Time? No. Top ten all time? No.

Solid player who will win the odd ranking event? Yes.

What's wrong with that? Why are we hating him for that?

Postby Dan-cat

Andre147 wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Ronnie is provisionally 6th: http://www.wpbsa.com/rankings/latest-pr ... -rankings/

That's a huge climb in the rankings then, even for a tournament that offers "only" 70 000 grand.

More good performances in the coming tournaments, especially the IC and the UK could see him get into the Top 4.

I would say he's got (edit) a little bit of the fear factor back with this devastating performance. Perhaps not for the top 4, but the rest of them....
Last edited by Dan-cat on 23 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:Wilson is a solid player. That's my honest opinion.

He has been in two ranking finals already this season. Okay, he got spanked, but still.

We're guilty in this day and age of blaming anybody who isn't Hendry or Ronnie standard of being useless.

Wilson isn't useless. I rank him alongside Ricky Walden level. Best Of All Time? No. Top ten all time? No.

I mostly agree but think he will do more than win the odd ranking event

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Yeah, he's better than you are painting here SF. He's really only just broken through.

Postby Wildey

Ronnie79 wrote:Everyone is wan*ing about Wilson he has got two right thrashings In finals now recently. It goes to show he is still a long way off the top players standard wise. Decent player but not top class yet

To be fair in the World Open he had a off day

and Yesterday even Ronnie has lost a final 9-2 and Ronnie at the time was the current World Champion it happens to the best. snooker is about 1 man and balls its not like other sports where theres always chances to hit a drive on a Golf Course or get a ball back over the net in tennis.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:Why did Wild delete his own post?

i quoted the wrong bucking post lol

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Yeah, he's better than you are painting here SF. He's really only just broken through.

Maybe so. He's what? 25.

Walden was much older when he won his first.

I do find his recent drubbings to Ronnie and Ding a concern. Scars?

I'd happy to see him prove me wrong. He played well against Ursenbacher, who looks like one for the future.

Postby eraserhead

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

His potting was immense at times and has shown he can score heavy. With how hard he hits the ball when he's not at his best this could make the game easier for his opponents. :shrug:

I do think he will start challenging for the bigger titles he has a great attitude and looks determined to prove himself in the sport.

Postby eraserhead

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Why does Wilson hit the balls so hard?
I don't recall him always doing that

Might have a skim through his Shanghai final with Judd at some point to see if there is any difference.

Postby vodkadiet

You'd be hitting the ball hard if you had no facial hair and you'd been beaten by Gerard Greene twice in the space of a week! <ok>

Postby Badsnookerplayer

vodkadiet wrote:

You'd be hitting the ball hard if you had no facial hair and you'd been beaten by Gerard Greene twice in the space of a week! <ok>

rofl

Postby The_Abbott

The best bit about the English Open was how the room echoed every time someone took a shot. No wonder Ronnie wore trainers.