Post a reply

Re: The English Open Final Thread

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Is Steve Davis coming out to present it this year?

He should, unless he doesnt like Ronnie moving ahead of him lol...

A BBC pundit, disliking Ronnie?

Behave.

Postby SnookerFan

masterdoctorgenius wrote:whoever loses this finale will have lost three ranking finals on the trot.
not a good record to have

Kyren lost in China to Ding.

Remind me of the other?

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:whoever loses this finale will have lost three ranking finals on the trot.

Remind me of the other?

Indian Open 2016, lost to McGill.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Remind me of the other?

Indian Open 2016, lost to McGill.

The Indian Open. No wonder I didn't remember.

Less prestige than the Shootout. :zzz:

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerFan wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:Ronnie seems to be shunning a few of the touch shots this event in favour of a positive strike on the ball. That last frame, for instance, going for the difficult red in the corner rather than the delicate drop into the centre.

DECLINE!

Hey, Ronnie’s actual “game” IS on the decline! The reason he’s still playing so well is that his psychological state is completely transformed and that compensates for the relative decline in his physical game.

In the past Ronnie had the physical game to knock in seven centuries on the spin if he could have ever got his head right.

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:
Wildey wrote:Lets be honest theres a lot of Ronnie Fans on here feeling like cretins at the moment with all the doom and gloom bullocks thats been said.

Ronnie or anyone else has NEVER Played perfect snooker all the time unfortunally some have unrealistic expectation.

thats why i do like you Snooker Overdrive your a realist.

No one plays perfect Snooker but no one has crushed and destroyed his opponents so consistently like Ronnie O'Sullivan has. And no one has come so close to play perfect Snooker. The Masters in 2005 and 2014 (not just the finals) come into my mind. Or the World Championship in 2004.

I agree though that his supporters (me included) have too unrealistic expectations at times but thats more like a compliment because he's that good.

My problem is people look at it through rose coloured glasses.

some seem to think 5 or 10 years ago hes better than he is today the reality is even then he had off days because only Hendry, Ding and Selby has won 5 rankers in a season and only Hendry, Davis and Mark Williams have won the triple crown in the same season.

Postby Dan-cat

Cloud Strife wrote:Ronnie O'Sullivan is the most talented human being since Leonardo da Vinci.

Hahahah. Love this. :D

Argh at a family thing. bullocks. Should be back to see The end unless a mad early finish...

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Wildey wrote:Lets be honest theres a lot of Ronnie Fans on here feeling like cretins at the moment with all the doom and gloom bullocks thats been said.

Ronnie or anyone else has NEVER Played perfect snooker all the time unfortunally some have unrealistic expectation.

No one plays perfect Snooker but no one has crushed and destroyed his opponents so consistently like Ronnie O'Sullivan has. And no one has come so close to play perfect Snooker. The Masters in 2005 and 2014 (not just the finals) come into my mind. Or the World Championship in 2004.

I agree though that his supporters (me included) have too unrealistic expectations at times but thats more like a compliment because he's that good.

some seem to think 5 or 10 years ago hes better than he is today the reality is even then he had off days because only Hendry, Ding and Selby has won 5 rankers in a season and only Hendry, Davis and Mark Williams have won the triple crown in the same season.

This is very true, even at Ronnie's peak powers he never managed to win the Triple Crown in the same season, and never has he won 5 rankers, I think the most he's done is 3 in a whole season, which is great nevertheless.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

This is very true, even at Ronnie's peak powers he never managed to win the Triple Crown in the same season, and never has he won 5 rankers, I think the most he's done is 3 in a whole season, which is great nevertheless.

That said Ronnie is the greatest when he is on song Kyren probably did 1 real mistake from 3-2 and he lost 3 frames that what he can do today just like 5, 10, 15 or 25 years ago

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:My problem is people look at it through rose coloured glasses.

He's almost 42 now. His actual game or skills were better 5, 10 or 15 years ago. It would be absolutely silly to think otherwise. The key point here is (like Andy Spark wrote) that thanks to Peters Ronnies is in a much stronger position psychologically and in Snooker that is almost as important as your actual skills.

its a pity Peters hasn't worked with him earlier, lets say from 2000 on when Ronnie was at his absolute peak (skill-wise) but Peters still did wonders for him and made him won two more extra world titles.
Last edited by TheRocket on 22 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

is Steve Davis there or is he DJ ing somewhere lol

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:Why screw back

hendry at his peak would play for black, even Ronnie.

Trump does the same mistake.

Postby Andre147

I think last time Ronnie lost a final when leading like this was v Hunter in 2004 Masters?

wasnt Ronnie even 7-1 ahead?

Just had this thought, but Ron wont lose this Final, never.

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:
Wildey wrote:My problem is people look at it through rose coloured glasses.

He's almost 42 now. His actual game or skills were better 5, 10 or 15 years ago. It would be absolutely silly to think otherwise. The key point here is (like Andy Spark wrote) that thanks to Peters Ronnies is in a much stronger position psychologically and in Snooker that is almost as important as your actual skills.

its a pity Peters hasn't worked with him earlier, lets say from 2000 on when Ronnie was at his absolute peak (skill-wise) but Peters still did wonders for him and made him won two more extra world titles.

Between 2009 and 2012 he did not win a single ranking event or Masters..All he was winning then was PTC and PL.

Postby Andre147

This ultra attacking approach from Kyren might work for a couple of frames, but it's prone to more mistakes.

When they appear I expect Ronnie to punish them.