Post a reply

Re: English Open Day Four

Postby eraserhead

Tough act to follow for Trump and Lisowski.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:That was one of the best deciders i've seen from Ronnie in quite a while...

won in 1 visit against such a big name.

Recline?
Last edited by SnookerFan on 19 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Andre147 wrote:That was one of the best deciders i've seen from Ronnie in quite a while...

won in 1 visit against such a big name.

and against Higgins. Makes it sweeter. And more sweeter after the 3rd frame.

Mental giant.

Postby Andre147

his last great decider came v Fu at last season's UK Semi... but that wasnt against his nemesis Higgins.

Postby TheRocket

In those last two frames I saw a completely different man. A man with balls and who wanted to change something. Reminded me of Federer in the fifth set against Rafael Nadal in the Australian Open final this year.

And again. this match was really tense as hell. both wanted to win so badly. Especially Ronnie.

Postby Cloud Strife

Always happy to see the corrupt Scot lose. All the more sweeter when it's at the hands of Ronnie.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:In those last two frames I saw a completely different man. A man with balls and who wanted to change something. Reminded me of Federer in the fifth set against Rafael Nadal in the Australian Open final this year.

And again. this match was really tense as hell. both wanted to win so badly. Especially Ronnie.

Steve Peters is there. Ronnie wants it.

Postby SnookerFan

Higgins out. Selby out.

Robertson doesn't have the form to beat Ronnie at the momenf.

Who is going to beat him this week?

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:Higgins out. Selby out.

Robertson doesn't have the form to beat Ronnie at the momenf.

Who is going to beat him this week?

I think Trump will be the big danger.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Since some of you mentioned tennis, I feel this is the perfect analogy:
Ronnie is like Federer, a man who plays from talent and who has no equal when he's at his best.
Higgins is like Nadal, he always manages to play his best against Ronnie, just like Nadal does against Federer
and
Selby is like Djokovic, he has nothing special ability-wise, yet he hangs on with his teeth and manges to grind down his opponents.

What do you guys think ?

Postby sundaygirl

@snookerfan
Please don’t think I’m flirting with you but which of your fine t-shirt collection will you be taking on this particular trip

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:@snookerfan
Please don’t think I’m flirting with you but which of your fine t-shirt collection will you be taking on this particular trip

You tease. :evilgrin:

Taking Hurricane, obviously. Where's The Cueball Going? And a red one where Neanderthal Man evolves into a snooker player.

Postby Andre147

Johnny Bravo wrote:Since some of you mentioned tennis, I feel this is the perfect analogy:
Ronnie is like Federer, a man who plays from talent and who has no equal when he's at his best.
Higgins is like Nadal, he always manages to play his best against Ronnie, just like Nadal does against Federer
and
Selby is like Djokovic, he has nothing special ability-wise, yet he hangs on with his teeth and manges to grind down his opponents.

What do you guys think ?

That's a perfect analogy and actually that's something I've thought of before. <ok>

Hopefully this win, even if just a Best of 7, will inspire Ronnie in future bigger match v Higgins. Sometimes even a "small" win such as this can change everything.

Postby LC

Johnny Bravo wrote:Since some of you mentioned tennis, I feel this is the perfect analogy:
and

What do you guys think ?

I think your right, higgins as nadal, a rivalry spanning decades, and selby as djo fits, but who’s the dour Scot making up the big 4 lol

Postby Andre147

If Ronnie plays Trump and beats him next, then he really really shuldnt waste this chance. But we've said that so many times recently didnt we... and what did he do? Lost to a journeyman!

Postby TheRocket

SnookerFan wrote:
TheRocket wrote:In those last two frames I saw a completely different man. A man with balls and who wanted to change something. Reminded me of Federer in the fifth set against Rafael Nadal in the Australian Open final this year.

Steve Peters is there. Ronnie wants.

I think, apart from Peters it has more to do with playing Higgins. ROS looked extremely tense throughout the whole match. A lot more than he would be against any other opponent. And both were overthinking a lot on some shots.

They might not show it openly like it was with Hendry and ROS but you could clearly sense the rivalry and the competitive instincts today.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Trump probably has a slight edge against Lisowsky.
Btw, why isn't there a shortcut for this thread in Hot Topics ?

Postby Andre147

Ronnie said in the studio he was more competitive today and because he had to v Higgins.

The only thing left he has to do v him is thrash him again like at their Masters 2005 Final.

Postby Andre147

Ronnie could have to play Trump next and maybe Robbo in the Semis if he wins... doesnt get any tougher than that, only Selby really missing from that list.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:Ronnie said in the studio he was more competitive today and because he had to v Higgins.

The only thing left he has to do v him is thrash him again like at their Masters 2005 Final.

Higgins kept avoiding him and losing early during the 2012-2014 period when Ronnie played really great while Ronnie kept playing him a lot during the 2009-2011 period when Higgins was at the top. thats one of the key reasons for the lopsided H2H over the last 10 years or so.

I'm fairly sure, Ronnie would have destroyed him at some stage ,had they played a lot more during 12-14. He actually did at the Welsh Open 2014 but we're obviously talking about a major tournament , particularly multi session matches.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Ronnie said in the studio he was more competitive today and because he had to v Higgins.

Higgins kept avoiding him and losing early during the 2012-2014 period when Ronnie played really great while Ronnie kept playing him a lot during the 2009-2011 period when Higgins was at the top. thats one of the key reasons for the lopsided H2H over the last 10 years or so.

I'm fairly sure, Ronnie would have destroyed him at some stage ,had they played a lot more during 12-14. He actually did at the Welsh Open 2014 but we're obviously talking about a major tournament , particularly multi session matches.

That's a very good point you make.

Similar to how Nadal's h2h still favours him because so many matches were on his favourite surface clay.

Postby TheRocket

I wouldn't rule out Lisowski in this match. Trump is one of those players who is super motivated against the very topplayers but against the "weaker" players he can easily lose the plot. I think, he admitted it himself once.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:I wouldn't rule out Lisowski in this match. Trump is one of those players who is super motivated against the very topplayers but against the "weaker" players he can easily lose the plot. I think, he admitted it himself once.

Their h2h is actually 3-3.