Post a reply

An introduction to Guangzhou

Postby SnookerFan

Guangzhou, traditionally romanised as Canton,[6] is the capital and most populous city of the province of Guangdong in southern China.[7] Located on the Pearl River about 120 km (75 mi) north-northwest of Hong Kong and 145 km (90 mi) north of Macau, Guangzhou has a history of over 2200 years and was a major terminus of the maritime Silk Road[8] and continues to serve as a major port and transportation hub today.[9]

Guangzhou is currently the most-populous city in mainland China; holds sub-provincial administrative status;[10] and is one of China's five National Central Cities.[11] In 2015 the city's administrative area was estimated to have a population of 13,501,100[12] and forms part of one of the most populous metropolitan agglomerations on Earth. Some estimates place the population of the built-up area of the Pearl River Delta Mega City as high as 44 million without the S.A.R.s of Hong Kong and Macau, and 54 million including both of them. Guangzhou is ranked as a Alpha- Global city.[13] In recent years, there has been a rapidly increasing number of foreign residents and illegal immigrants from Southeast Asia, the Middle East and Eastern Europe, as well as from Africa.[14] This has led to it being dubbed the "Capital of the Third World".[15] The migrant population from other provinces of China in Guangzhou was 40 percent of the city's total population in 2008.

Long the only Chinese port accessible to foreign traders, the city fell to the British during the First Opium War. No longer enjoying a monopoly after the war, it lost trade to other ports such as Hong Kong (which is close by) and Shanghai, but continued to serve as a major entrepôt. In modern commerce, Guangzhou is best known for its annual Canton Fair, the oldest and largest trade fair in China. For the three consecutive years 2013–2015, Forbes ranked Guangzhou as the best commercial city on the Chinese mainland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guangzhou

Re: An introduction to Guangzhou

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:Could you post a thread like this about Barnsley?

I think it would be more appropriate when the English Open is on. <ok>

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
gcjdavid wrote:What is your point of posting this article?

To educate, as well as entertain. <ok>

Educated yes, entertained no.

Postby Gridlock

I was thoroughly entertained....but I am still grasping how to watch the snooker in the US. I guess just wait til youtube posts it and get too rubbish faced to watch it.

Postby gcjdavid

Gridlock wrote:I was thoroughly entertained....but I am still grasping how to watch the snooker in the US. I guess just wait til youtube posts it and get too rubbish faced to watch it.

Just use Chinese streams like zhibo.tv and click on whatever snooker matches there happens to be

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Weird that a city we know barely anything about has such a huge population.

You'd know something about it if you'd read the article. :grrr:

Postby SnookerFan

Bear in mind there are like 1billion Chinese people in the world. That means something like a seventh of the world's population is Chinese.