Post a reply

Re: Kaspersky Riga Masters !!!!!

Postby hendry_fan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:The lovechild of Stephen Hendry & Steve James, surely.

Hahaha indeed. I loved watching Steve James play. He was ace. Beat Hendry at the Crucible once didn't he?

Indeed he did,he beat Hendry in the 1991 Worlds,at the 1/4 finals 13-11. >-(

He played very well in that match,he knocked in eleven 50+ breaks as to Hendrys seven.

The first match they ever played against each other,was way back in 1988,in the Internatinonal Open,in which James beat Hendry 5-2,he only ever managed to beat him one more time since then,which as i just stated,was at the crucible in 1991.

Hendry got the better of him on the other 10 occasions though. :-)

Postby Alex0paul

SnookerFan wrote:When's the World Cup on?

Week after the Riga Masters

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

Aditya Mehta‏ @snookered_adi
Next up is the Snooker World Cup in China in July. Looking forward to teaming up with @PankajAdvani247 again..

Postby Wildey

Selected Last 64 Matches
Kurt Maflin v Alan McManus
Eden Sharav v Jimmy White
Gary Wilson v Ken Doherty
Stuart Bingham v Mark Davis
Matthew Stevens v Jack Lisowski
Stephen Maguire v Gerard Greene
David Gilbert v Joe Perry
Barry Hawkins v Ryan Day
Ben Woollaston v Kyren Wilson
Nigel Bond v Jackson Page
Xiao Guodong v Mark Joyce
Sam Baird v Michael White
Mark Williams v Peter Ebdon
Luca Brecel v Lee Walker

Full Draw Available Here

Order of Play

Postby TheSaviour

SnookerFan wrote:TWITTER ATTACK!

Aditya Mehta‏ @snookered_adi
Next up is the Snooker World Cup in China in July. Looking forward to teaming up with @PankajAdvani247 again..

rofl rofl rofl

I am always into something serious stuff like this. Obviously at the time I don´t find it amusing at all. Just kind of accidentally getting into it.

It´s like who is the greatest player? Obviously it is someone who can entertain and is finding some humorous angles as well as just solely playing well. Gotta love Shaun Murphy´s dry sense of humour, for example. If he even means it to amuse. If he doesn´t, it is even better.

That´s because any give top player have at the first place started to practise to entertain. And to challenge. Both just theirselfs and the audiences. So I can´t see the titles and the rankings or even the playing styles or dishes meaning it all.

Postby Deewee

Five of the nine top 16 players who entered are still in as Mark Selby has withdrawn. He's not playing in the World Cup either for what it's worth

Postby Dan-cat

Deewee wrote:Five of the nine top 16 players who entered are still in as Mark Selby has withdrawn. He's not playing in the World Cup either for what it's worth

Anyone know who the English team is then? Bingo and Trumpy?!

Postby Wildey

Mark Selby is in such a strong position in the World Ranking he can afford to not play until UK and Still be World no 1

Postby The_Abbott

Wildey wrote:Mark Selby is in such a strong position in the World Ranking he can afford to not play until UK and Still be World no 1

But could he not play the entire season and still win the World championship like Ronnie did a few years ago?

Postby SnookerFan

The_Abbott wrote:
Wildey wrote:Mark Selby is in such a strong position in the World Ranking he can afford to not play until UK and Still be World no 1

But could he not play the entire season and still win the World championship like Ronnie did a few years ago?

Probably not.

But then, why would he want to?

Postby Wildey

The_Abbott wrote:

Probably yes

Postby Pink Ball

The_Abbott wrote:

Easy!

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:

Easy!

Coland?

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:

Probably yes

There are only two players in history I could have imagined coming anywhere near doing it (outside of Sullivan, obviously).

Hendry and Selbo - in that order.

You need a weak era to do it. Sullivan wouldn't have been able to do it in the late 90s or early 00s. Nobody would have.

A young Hendry COULD have done it because he had a superb mindset and loads of natural talent.

Selbo is the toughest player mentally that I've ever seen. That alone gives him a huge advantage over everyone else.

I think the key ingredient in attempting this though is natural talent. Sullivan has far more natural talent than anyone in history. Most players would fall asunder without regular match practice. Sullivan wouldn't, and didn't in 2013.

My gut tells me that nobody else could have done what he did in 2013. It was arguably the greatest one-off achievement in snooker history.

I think Hendry or Selbo would have failed even if they are the two most likely candidates to have done a Ronnie. But it's a hypothetical question that will never be answered.