Post a reply

Re: Evergrande China Championship Round 1 !!!!!

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
pasunegirafe wrote:Thought I'd take a little peek at the Selby - McGill match and yeah, the table looks all distorted. That's what you get when the venue is too large. The camera is too far back and has to zoom in too much.

This TV company have probably never filmed snooker....

I noticed this. The camera wobbled a lot too.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:Ticket prices have a lot to do with it.

At the IC they were very expensive. To some, Snooker is huge is China but only for TV purposes. <doh>

That's it.

Empty arenas just look so rubbish on television. Such a shame.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Ronnie just got a ranking final, and won the welsh earlier this year. That can't be right.

between thoes 2 events he made £86,000 they are low tariff events.

last time he won or reached a final of a high tariff event was the 2014 UK Championship when he won £150,000 thoes points have now been removed two years on. He could do with a good run at the UK to ease the pressure and give him more options to pick and chose in the run up to sheffield.

This season is the first time Ronnie has to chase points or he falls.

It's not. Back in 2012 he was in an even worst position. Prior to German Masters he was like 14th or 15th, and had he lost that famous first round match against Higginson he would drop out of Top 16. He won it from 4-0 down and that signled his remarkable comeback dead and buried, when most were already writting him off.

He has to chase points this season yes, but it's not the first time he does it.

What i meant was since money replaced points...

Back in 2012 you had to play a lot of snooker to maintain a ranking so Barry introduced Money to lets be honest help Ronnie pick and chose events so that a good win at UK or World would put you high up the rankings without having to chase points.

Back then Ronnie went from 19th up to 4th when Money replaced points

Ronnie has played only 8 out of 18 ranking tournaments since start of last season and reached only 2 Quarter final or better that's why hes dropped down

Postby Dan-cat

OoNebsoO wrote:48 behind, with 43 on. He couldn't have tied without snookers. Mind that the score graphics was faulty, they gave Trump a point (from 7 to 8), instead of 4 points to Carter (from 51 to 55).

Oh yeah, my fault for listening to the comms hehe :)

Trump smashed the green around the table. Has a memo gone round?

Postby PoolBoy

Dan-cat wrote:
OoNebsoO wrote:48 behind, with 43 on. He couldn't have tied without snookers. Mind that the score graphics was faulty, they gave Trump a point (from 7 to 8), instead of 4 points to Carter (from 51 to 55).

Oh yeah, my fault for listening to the comms hehe :)

Trump smashed the green around the table. Has a memo gone round?

<laugh>

I was thinking the same!

If the ball Judd launched down the table had skipped-up and landed on the floor with an enormous thud, it would have looked much worse.
Similarly, if Robbo's had instead remained on the table and bounced around the angles, it wouldn't be perceived as being so reckless!
Both were spur-of-the-moment acts of frustration - whether one can be deemed 'worse' than the other is open to debate!

Discuss.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

when you look at the draws then on paper ronnie should reach at least:

semis of CoC
quarters of NI Open
quarters of UK Champ

but it doesnt work out that way as we have experienced in the last two tournaments especially. but i would be quite happy if he reached the stages. anything else is a bonus

Postby PoolBoy

Blimey! That's staggering - but, that is the evidence, if any more was needed, that the UK Championships has lost its once illustrious status.
The players ranked 1 and 2 in the World plus a recent former World Champion, are electing to 'skip' the competition.
Sadly, it IS just 'another' ranking event these days, and players will pick-and-choose which tournaments they enter.

Postby TheRocket

Whos better. Peak Higgins or Peak Williams? Usually I'd have said peak Higgins but just realized that peak Willams beat peak Higgins twice in the semis. In a row. 1999 and 2000. Looking like peak Williams had the game to counter Higgins superiority in the allround game

Postby Dan-cat

PoolBoy wrote:Blimey! That's staggering - but, that is the evidence, if any more was needed, that the UK Championships has lost its once illustrious status.
The players ranked 1 and 2 in the World plus a recent former World Champion, are electing to 'skip' the competition.
Sadly, it IS just 'another' ranking event these days, and players will pick-and-choose which tournaments they enter.

It's NI Open, not the UK. They are all in the UK.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

TheRocket wrote:Whos better. Peak Higgins or Peak Williams? Usually I'd have said peak Higgins but just realized that peak Willams beat peak Higgins twice in the semis. In a row. 1999 and 2000. Looking like peak Williams had the game to counter Higgins superiority in the allround game

definetly peak MJW. but in the mental department i would give JH the edge.

Postby Andre147

Peak MJW could only be beaten by a peak Ronnie in my opinion, but yeah Higgin's mental strengh is much better, plus is all round game too.

Postby TheRocket

masterdoctorgenius wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Whos better. Peak Higgins or Peak Williams? Usually I'd have said peak Higgins but just realized that peak Willams beat peak Higgins twice in the semis. In a row. 1999 and 2000. Looking like peak Williams had the game to counter Higgins superiority in the allround game

definetly peak MJW. but in the mental department i would give JH the edge.

Agree with that even though I'd say that peak MJW was almost as strong as JH in the mental department. In the late 90's and early 2000's for sure.

His relaxed and "I dont care" attitude worked really well back then.

Its been since 2010, since that famous UK final which let MJW turn into a choker type player.

Postby Andre147

Yes MJW's laid back attitude was crucial in those days to him winning matches.

But yeah since 2010 he's turned into a choker type player, unfortunately those losses really dented his confidence and he couldnt recover from them.