Post a reply

Re: Evergrande China Championship Round 1 !!!!!

Postby Dan-cat

sas6789 wrote:Yes he was, his peak was 1990-1997. in 98 Hendry lost 3 times to Tony Drago who he had NEVER lost to before in 12 previous matches and he also lost to Jimmy White 4 straight times from 98-99 who he had not lost to for SIX years prior to that. Does that sound like Hendry was at his best form then? But as you hate Hendry I guess you'd never admit it.

This is fascinating. Smacks of the Holty/Ronnie story line.

Postby Cloud Strife

sas6789 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
sas6789 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Peak MJW could only be beaten by a peak Ronnie in my opinion, but yeah Higgin's mental strengh is much better, plus is all round game too.

WTF are you talking about? Peak Williams got outclassed by an already slightly past peak Hendry in the 99 world final.

Hendry was nowhere near past his peak in 99. That's just revisionist history to suggest otherwise.

Yes he was, his peak was 1990-1997. in 98 Hendry lost 3 times to Tony Drago who he had NEVER lost to before in 12 previous matches and he also lost to Jimmy White 4 straight times from 98-99 who he had not lost to for SIX years prior to that. Does that sound like Hendry was at his best form then? But as you hate Hendry I guess you'd never admit it.

You don't win the World title in 99 the way he did if you are past your peak, which suggests to me it was a mental thing with Hendry. Doherty went a long way to smashing the aura that surrounded Hendry and I don't think he dealt with that too well. Kind of like the schoolyard bully who isn't used to people fighting back.

So I would say peak performance and form are two different things clearly.

What always gets me is the constant deifaction of Hendry by his fans. The guy was far from invincible, even during his most successful years. He has his flaws like everyone else, just don't understand the refusal to acknowledge that.

Anyway, pointless discussion. Time to move on...

Postby Wildey

Hendry's Strength was his long potting and making frame winning breaks from it..over the years nobody has been able to do that as consistent as he did it at his peak but there was times he would lose matches hes only human.

in the 1999 WC his game came together for that tournament but prior to that he was garbage to say the least during that season and the consistency he once had was getting harder and harder to sustain which suggest he was past his best.

Postby Andre147

I agree. You know you're past your best if you can't produce your best game and reach the latter stages on a consistent basis.

Ronnie for instance... He wins a tournament every now and then in recent years... does it mean he's at his best right now? it doesn't, his game just became consistent for that tournament.

Take the Welsh Final for instance... he played as good as ever until the Final, but then didn't play great in the Final, still won it though. Ronnie's best game probably came between 2001-2005. Hendry's between 1990-1996.