Post a reply

Re: Championship league Snooker 2017 !!!!!!

Postby Gridlock

Cloud Strife wrote:Is this a major?

I believe it is still just an invitational. Although the shootout is indeed now a ranking.

Postby Andre147

Gridlock wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Is this a major?

I believe it is still just an invitational. Although the shootout is indeed now a ranking.

He was being sarcastic :roll: but the way it's going the CL will soon become a ranking event, this crap has been running since 2008 believe it ot not.

Until 2010 it made sense, but since then, with all the new tournaments coming in, no need for it anymore, so in effect it should only have lasted 3 years, maximum of 4.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Even when there were six ranking events the Championshit League was nonsense. Whatever purpose it served then it must still serve now. It's interesting that the darts one was dropped a few years ago.

Postby Dan-cat

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Even when there were six ranking events the Championshit League was nonsense. Whatever purpose it served then it must still serve now. It's interesting that the darts one was dropped a few years ago.

It makes the bookmakers money and Barry needs to keep them sweet because they sponsor all the tournaments. The end.

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Even when there were six ranking events the Championshit League was nonsense. Whatever purpose it served then it must still serve now. It's interesting that the darts one was dropped a few years ago.

It makes the bookmakers money and Barry needs to keep them sweet because they sponsor all the tournaments. The end.

Yeah, I was going to say that. This event is basically a gift from Hearn to his bookmaker friends. Though quite why the bookies need this when there's so much other sport going on at the moment is beyond me.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Yeah, I was going to say that. This event is basically a gift from Hearn to his bookmaker friends. Though quite why the bookies need this when there's so much other sport going on at the moment is beyond me.

This tournament is not aimed at us snooker fans or even players, it's there (IMO) for serious gambling addicts when there's little or no sport on. It doesn't matter a buck that the format is nonsense, all that matters is there's something to bet on.

I reckon you get more betting on this tournament than any other actually. Its short format makes it particularly useful for bookies.

This tournament disgusts me tbh.

Postby SnookerFan

Agree with the above.

It used to be used for qualifying for the Premier League. But that was never the point of it. That was tacked on to make the tournament look meaningful.

The benefits to players, paid practice / extra matches when only a few rankers, was entirely coincidental.

It was invented for bookies.
Nobody else.

Postby Andre147

Fully agree with everything said here... it's an event for the bookies and one little gift from Hearn to them, and yeah there's more betting on this one than probably any other.

It's the only event where I can honestly say I only watch it and have some interest in it when Ronnie plays. If He doesn't then I don't, unlike the other events where I watch them regardless.

Not saying Ronnie playing in it makes it with any more purpose, it doesn't. But my favourite player entering it makes me watch his matches and sometimes some others. Certainly not the case this year.

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image

Group 3 9th and 10th of January
Group 4 11th and 12th of January
Group 5 20th and 21st of February
Group 6 22nd and 23rd of February
Group 7 27th and 28th of February
Winners Group 1st and 2nd of March

Group 3 Players
Ryan Day
Mark Davis
Neil Robertson
Mark J Williams
Joe Perry
Barry Hawkins
Allister Carter

DRAW and GROUP TABLE

ORDER OF PLAY

Postby PoolBoy

Not really following this, but for the record:

Group 1 was won by David Gilbert.
Group 2 was won by Anthony McGill.

Group 3 concludes tonight - Mark Williams has the highest break of the whole competition so far. He made a 143 yesterday.

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image

Group 4 11th and 12th of January

Group 4 Players
Neil Robertson
Ryan Day
Barry Hawkins
Mark J Williams
Shaun Murphy
Mark Allen
Kyren Wilson

DRAW and GROUP TABLE

ORDER OF PLAY

Postby PoolBoy

That's the 127th maximum in professional snooker.
I reckon the 147th could come along much sooner than I was expecting.

I remember when Selby made the 100th in December 2013, thinking that another 47 maximums could take 9 or 10 more years, but last year saw 10 maxis!! - I suppose there are more tournaments these days.

So, it's feasible the 147th could be made next year in 2018...

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:That's the 127th maximum in professional snooker.

I remember when Selby made the 100th in December 2013, thinking that another 47 maximums could take 9 or 10 more years, but last year saw 10 maxis!! - I suppose there are more tournaments these days.

Hopefully it's made on TV. :hatoff:

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:

Ronnie making it as well :-D Would be so fitting given he's the King of 147s <cool>

Postby PoolBoy

Andre147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Ronnie making it as well :-D Would be so fitting given he's the King of 147s <cool>

It could well be Ronnie - I'm certain he'll still be around when the opportunity arrives.

But, it could also be by a 'random' journeyman professional! Or perhaps even someone who has yet to become a 'known' player!

It'll be really interesting after the 146th maximum has been done...hopefully snooker will use it to its advantage and a secure a major sponsor and widespread publicity for the moment!

I certainly think a significant prize of £147,000 would be great - even if it had to be known as the Ladbrokes Maximum, or something equally 'ghastly' - but, I can really see players 'going for it' after the 146th has happened!

Postby Andre147

Yes £147,000 for the maxi would be a nice incentive, but Hearn will have other ideas sadly...

Like you say after the 146th is made it shall be very interesting and we all will be eargerly waiting for the 147th.... I reckon it will be made next year or in 2019. Whoever makes it, my only hope is it's televised, even if it's on CL. I'd rather be it on CL than some non-TV qualifying match.

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image

Group 5 Players
Mark J Williams
Ryan Day
Shaun Murphy
Kyren Wilson
Stuart Bingham
Judd Trump
Liang Wenbo

DRAW and GROUP TABLE

ORDER OF PLAY

Postby vodkadiet

Quick chance for Trump to exact revenge over Bingham.

This must be shortest gap for 2 players to be playing each other in different events. Welsh Open finished at 11.18pm last night and they are playing today at midday...

Postby PoolBoy

vodkadiet wrote:Quick chance for Trump to exact revenge over Bingham.

This must be shortest gap for 2 players to be playing each other in different events. Welsh Open finished at 11.18pm last night and they are playing today at midday...

It really is a bizarre quirk of fate!
Not only that they're both in the same group stage today- but the 'fixture gods' have them playing each other in the opening game!
The could even meet again tomorrow in the knock-out stage!

Got to say, I know it's only Championship League, but this is quite a tasty group!