Post a reply

The Best World Final ?

Postby GJ

Got to say this final for me was the most dramatic but also had plenty of high quality snooker throughout.

2002 WSC final

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7UErhD34xk

That is brief highlights of it , The moment Ebdon missed the black at 17-16 up you could see in Hendry's eyes he thought he was about to become Hendry the 8th.

But Ebdon showed his bottle in the decider to win it.

That final showed how great snooker is :D :D :D :D

Re: The Best World Final ?

Postby Cloud Strife

Hendo underestimated Ebdon and was left with egg on his face, just like Wild will be if Higgins wins this final.

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:1985?

:gag:

Postby Andre147

Can't really decide the best one, but those that standout for me are the 2003 one, 2005, 2011 and 2013. Have seen other frames of other finals, some of them almost the whole match, and for me the best ones are the 2002 Final, 2001, 1994, 1992, 1986, 1985 and 1982.

I know I named a lot, but each of those have their own special moments that really standout for me.

Postby sas6789

Cloud Strife wrote:Hendo underestimated Ebdon and was left with egg on his face, just like Wild will be if Higgins wins this final.

If you wanna talk about egg being left on your face, look what happened to your boy in the Semi that year when he insulted Hendry.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

2011 Higgins v trump. Amazing final. Trumps long ball potting that tourney is the best I've ever seen. Higgins was a masterclass thou with also the toughest ever route to the final imo.

1985 it gets pelters now and Dennis even more but I still remember watching that as a 10 year old. The memory is powerful.

Postby Andre147

sas6789 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Hendo underestimated Ebdon and was left with egg on his face, just like Wild will be if Higgins wins this final.

If you wanna talk about egg being left on your face, look what happened to your boy in the Semi that year when he insulted Hendry.

Hendry was a BIG egg on face though.. Hendry himself has admited on interviews that after the ROS win he felt he'd already won the title. :wave:

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:
sas6789 wrote:

Hendry was a BIG egg on face though.. Hendry himself has admited on interviews that after the ROS win he felt he'd already won the title. :wave:

Hendry thought it was still 1993. He thought all he had to do was turn up and the victory was his. Got a nasty shock, did old Hendo.

Postby Zoe7

I remember Hendry going for a risky long blue at 17-17 in 2002 when he could have played safe. He missed it and this let Ebdon in to make a sizeable break. For many years Hendry would simply pot his way out of trouble but this seems to have been one risky shot too many.

Had Hendry won the decider I expect Ebdon's missed black would have been talked about for many years in the same way White's miss in 1994 has been. It tends to be forgotten though since it didn't cost him the title.
Last edited by Zoe7 on 02 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vodkadiet

1989 was a great final, and 1993 wasn't bad either.

Postby GJ

vodkadiet wrote:1989 was a great final, and 1993 wasn't bad either.

Worst finals

2001 , 2008 , 2012. 2013

:cracker:

Postby SnookerFan

GJ wrote:

Worst finals

2001 , 2008 , 2012. 2013

No 2006?

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:
GJ wrote:

Worst finals

2001 , 2008 , 2012. 2013

No 2006?

no :-D

Postby Wildey

do you want chips and beans with the egg?

Postby snooky147

Cloud Strife wrote:2006 and 2010 were both terrible, consisting mostly of slow, turgid snooker.

Robertson in 2010 was the instigator of the slow play, which dragged that final down. I'm not in any way saying Graeme would have won if the pace had picked up but it would definitely have been a better match.