Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby Pink Ball

Erza Scarlet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:And what kind of revamp do you suggest exactly?

Perhaps a kind of opinion-based 'Flair Order of Merit', where the general public phones in their preference for a certain player, and the most popular guys get head-starts in matches? Why, Ronnie O'Sullivan would get a 15-frame head-start over Mark Selby in a best-of-35! And Jimmy White would've been unbeatable in World Finals!

You know what, I think we're on to something here. Give me a buzz on the Pink Ball hotline, at 1800-714-PINK. I look forward to your call.

First of all if you bothered to read my post you'd understand what I meant by revamp, where an attacking snooker player with flair can get to the top and stop this endless hours of grindfests and snoozefests that make the live audience go to sleep. This is why I mentioned people like Trump need to get in gear...or someone else who's young.

These finals aren't a good advertisement for Snooker when a grinder is at the top of a game who relies of bringing out errors from his opponents and forcing them to play dull by bringing his opposition towards his level.

Second of all I don't know why you mentioned Ronnie but you seem to be triggered so I suggest you calm down. This isn't about winning titles, this is about entertainment. There is literally no excitement or buzz when Selby wins, the audience aren't into it at all and it isn't a pleasant vieweing experience and I've never been in this situation with my 17 years of watching Snooker where the World Number 1 brings out Snooker which has no quality. This isn't subjective, it's objective. Mark Selby's Snooker is really frowned upon by 95% of Snooker fans.

Lastly, you need to step back and check yourself before making sarcastic comments towards me.

You smell.

Postby pasunegirafe

PoolBoy wrote:
pasunegirafe wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:With the China open curse being smashed, will the Crucible curse go next year?

er.. oh.. wait

Kitty! Where do you keep going? Busy chasing birds?

If that's your selfie in your avatar - then, you've go to sharpen-up!

<laugh> I'm looking a bit rough, aren't I?

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

[/quote]
Allow me to refresh your memory, in 2014, Ronnie was looking more dominant than ever before, he had just won the last 2 world titles (and had incredibly won the year before after taking a whole season off) and had won his quarter and semi with a session to spare, no one, including yourself if I remember correctly gave Mark a chance in that final and there was a lot of talk at the time that Ronnie would go on to break Hendry's world title record and Selby stopped him in his tracks. As for Ding, he's such a bottler that he won FIVE rankers in one season and has won everything else bar the WC with literally hundreds of millions of people watching his every move? Bottler indeed :roll:

I'd like to point I'm not a big fan of Selby either, but I do respect him as a player and can give him credit where it's due.

Mark Selby have proved himself to be one of the greats of the game weather you want to accept it or not.[/quote]

Ok, I will concede that Ronnie wasn't a has been and Selby is only one of 2 (John Higgins the other) that can beat a full flow Ronnie. Ding for me will be a mental midget till he can be world champ. Which will be never btw.

Postby Pink Ball

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Ok, I will concede that Ronnie wasn't a has been and Selby is only one of 2 (John Higgins the other) that can beat a full flow Ronnie. Ding for me will be a mental midget till he can be world champ. Which will be never btw.

The crap about Ding being mentally weak will sadly continue until he wins a World title. The last thing I'd blame for him losing to Selby. I thought he was a mental titan in this Championship. And even before that I'd never understood how a twelve time ranking event winner can not only be described as mentally weak, but a 'mental midget' no less.

It's always made me wonder...

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:
sas6789 wrote:
Ayrshirebhoy wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:Selby isn't getting anything like the credit he deserves.

Yes, plenty of "well done Mark" platitudes - but also a significant amount of posts trying to down-play his achievement.

Believe me, if it had been Ronnie recovering from 4-10 to win the World Championship, the outpourings of 'best ever win' or 'only Ronnie could do that' or 'sheer genius' would be all-over this forum.

This is so on the money.

To win 3 World Champs from 4 years is insane. At this rate in a few years time we could be talking about Selby being the GOAT.... and I say this as a huge Ronnie fan.

He can't be the GOAT. His era was too weak.

Beating O'Sullivan, Ding and Higgins in world finals, it doesn't get much tougher than that.

Two of those are way over the hill and the other one is the modern day Jimmy White who always seems to come up short in the big one.

Did we really consider Ronnie as over the hill in 2014? I'm not so sure.

Postby Iranu

Don't quite see why Selby wouldn't get the credit he deserves.

Yes, he did everything he could to win, including messing the table up. Is that unsportsmanlike? No. Is it gamesmanship? No. He does it because he knows nobody, including John Higgins (often touted as the best ever in this department) can come close to him in those frames. Who else could make Higgins capitulate the way he did on Sunday and Monday afternoon? No one.

His do-or-die potting is incredible, he's made 450 centuries, he always plays the right shot, it's not like all he knows is safety and grinding.

Higgins couldn't cope with what Selby did. Neither could Ronnie in 2014 or Ding last year.

Ding played the safety of his life in their semi final last week and still didn't measure up to Selby.

Sure he's not a particularly "fluent" or "pleasing on the eye" player, but neither is John Higgins. Neither was Steve Davis. Not everyone can be a Ronnie or a Jimmy.

Also, for what it's worth, the majorityof casual snooker fans that I've spoken to over the last 5 or so years have named him as one of their favourite players. So contrary to what a lot of you Selby haters say, he actually does have a lot of fans and therefore IS doing good for the game from that point of view.

He's an awesome player, regardless of your personal feelings towards the man (or his smile.)

Postby Ronnie79

Pink Ball wrote:Call me old fashioned, but I just cannot warm to a player with a smile like Selby's. Sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Pinky this must be a West of Ireland thing that Selby has a twisted mouth surely, if we have to watch him winning title after title I'm gonna stop watching snooker. Great player that he is does anybody really think he will draw new fans to the game with his style ? Not a hope

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Pink Ball wrote:
Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Ok, I will concede that Ronnie wasn't a has been and Selby is only one of 2 (John Higgins the other) that can beat a full flow Ronnie. Ding for me will be a mental midget till he can be world champ. Which will be never btw.

The crap about Ding being mentally weak will sadly continue until he wins a World title. The last thing I'd blame for him losing to Selby. I thought he was a mental titan in this Championship. And even before that I'd never understood how a twelve time ranking event winner can not only be described as mentally weak, but a 'mental midget' no less.

Pinky, I would class ding as the best mental midget in an era of mental midgets. I read that term on here but I believe it wholeheartedly. If 2 mental midgets play in a final then the best one will win. That's why ding won't win a wc.

Postby mantorok

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Pinky, I would class ding as the best mental midget in an era of mental midgets. I read that term on here but I believe it wholeheartedly. If 2 mental midgets play in a final then the best one will win. That's why ding won't win a wc.

Unfortunately for Ding he is Jimmy and Selby is Davis/Hendry. That's taking nothing away from Ding he's still mentally tough but Selby is tougher than probably anyone else we've seen in the game the way he comes back from deficits.

Ding will get his chance, he will do it, he's come too damn close not to, whether it takes an inspired performance or an easier draw, the day will come I'm certain.

Postby RJFindlay

In 10 or 15 years time, I doubt people will say, oh I wish we had another Selby, Hendry or Davis.

But people sure will wish for another magical O'Sullivan.

The chances of humanity producing another slow, reliable and solid player is much higher than producing another hand alternating, unpredictable, lightning fast, divine O'Sullivan.

That's why he's the GOAT.
Last edited by RJFindlay on 02 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby The Herminator

If i was to ask people in my office who Mark Selby is. I'd be surprised if more than 3 out of 25 would know who he is (bearing in mind there are quite a few women!) If it was Ronnie it would probably be around half I reckon. Not sure if thats a problem with Selby or snooker. Or even if its a problem at all. Its certainly not a problem for Selby. He's quite happy.

Postby Iranu

Ronnie79 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Call me old fashioned, but I just cannot warm to a player with a smile like Selby's. Sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Pinky this must be a West of Ireland thing that Selby has a twisted mouth surely, if we have to watch him winning title after title I'm gonna stop watching snooker. Great player that he is does anybody really think he will draw new fans to the game with his style ? Not a hope

As I said, many casual fans that I've spoken to have given Selby as one of few names (usually along with Ronnie and Judd) that they really like.

A colleague of mine who doesn't botmally watch snooker said he watched yesterday's final session and found it absolutely gripping. He also said how amazing some of the shots were.

We'll see who ends up being right, but I honestly think Selby is good for the game.

Surely his victory makes the game look more healthy than if a 41 year old Higgins had won it?

Postby Dan-cat

pasunegirafe wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:With the China open curse being smashed, will the Crucible curse go next year?

er.. oh.. wait

Kitty! Where do you keep going? Busy chasing birds?

Haha yes I defo slacked in this tournament. Basically yes...attempting to win my Latvian girl back...early days

Postby pasunegirafe

Ronnie79 wrote:

I started watching more snooker because of Selby :shrug:
Saw his match against Dott in the Masters 2013 where he fell behind. Found myself rooting for him as he fought his way back into the match.

Postby mantorok

pasunegirafe wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:

I started watching more snooker because of Selby :shrug:
Saw his match against Dott in the Masters 2013 where he fell behind. Found myself rooting for him as he fought his way back into the match.

I too would be rooting for him if it meant despatching Dott.

Postby LowKey

I've been watching the crucible religiously for donkeys years and I'm more excited by snooker than ever.

I really enjoy watching Selby play. It's interesting to see such a competitive mind and never say die player. He is a brilliant all round player. His 143 break was magic as were many of the shots he played in the tournament.

Some of the comments about his appearance are beyond strange. If you are watching snooker for eye candy then you have serious mental issue. Selby is an average looking bloke and isn't out of shape like many of them are. Nothing wrong with his smile either despite the abuse above and his haircut is smart enough. Christ, I don't care what they look like. I like women, not men. I watch it for the snooker. If you don't fancy Selby and that's why you don't like him then that's hilarious. He hasn't constantly disrespected the game and fans like O'Sullivan either and I find Selby and his game more entertaining than O'Sullivan's game has ever been.

The real snooker fans will really appreciate a player like Selby. The casuals just like constant potting, idiotic and cockiness and rebellious attitude
Involving disrespecting snooker and complaining about
Prize money and not going for 147s when they are on "coz the prize money ain't enough despite the fact I've made millions from this sport"

To provide some examples:

In cricket casuals will find test matches incredibly boring and six hitting entertaining . Purists will love test cricket and the tactical and mental battle. Plus skill.

Football purists will appreciate a side like Juventus going to the nou camp getting a 0-0 draw with a great defensive display. Casuals will call it negative and boring, casuals want goals goals goals.

In tennis liking a player that's flashy with no all round game is like loving Roddick and finding a player with a wonderful all round game and mental strength like federer boring. Selby has more personality than federer no doubt and Selby is more human in the sense he's easier to relate to for the average person. I always found federer to have practically zero personality but fans loved him because he's a nice guy with a great all round game which is fair enough . I can respect his game and competitive edge for sure (I don't watch tennis never really liked or watched it. Used it as an example)

Selby is only not liked because Ronnie O'Sullivan lost in 2014 to him and in other instances. Pathetic if you ask me. Proper snooker fans shouldn't particularly like Ronnie as he's massively disrespected the game and fans over and over. Selby is a worthy champion and miles clear on
Number one. He's a great competitor and I find him entertaining.

The final was by far the most interesting and entertaining game of the lot. Higgins is a brilliant player, as is Selby. Selby out potted him, but Higgins played better safety. I really enjoyed it. If someone beats Selby next year or In another big event I'll find it entertaining no doubt.. as to beat Selby (apart from best of not many's) means playing very well over a prolonged period and it will be entertaining.

I imagine Ronnie fans slagging of snooker and Selby.: death of snooker etc etc will now go back to supporting Chelsea , having supporting Manchester united no doubt for years when they dominated. All very funny indeed.

Postby OoNebsoO

Anyone else can't wait for the new season? This great tournament just increased my appetite for more snooker. Guess proper length matches could do that to you.

On the other hand, lousy coverage of some tournaments - where I had to watch top players destroying amateurs in first rounds on a small screen with no commentary - and so many being best-of-seven could diminish that.

Postby Wildey

Ronnie79 wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:I agree I actually said prior to 2014 he was a bottler, and would never win the world he was losing a lot of finals at the time he reminded me of Ken Doherty, I was delighted when he beat Robbo in the 14 semi because I thought he would crumble against Ronnie in the final. Remember Ronnie had hammered him 10-4 in the Masters final that year. Robbo was the form man after making 100 tons that season how wrong I was

Prior to 2014 WC he had won 3 ranking titles from 11 finals in 12 years...... since 2014 WC hes won 9 rankers from 10 finals in 3 years. But he was never a bottler he just lacked a bit of belief and you get that belief by realizing your ambition and he did that when he won in 2014

I belive there were questions over his bottle for the World anyway prior to that win in 2014

Only from certain people never from me to beat Ronnie in the Welsh 2008 and Masters 2010 from behind takes some bottle.... Ronnie is the best front runner ever because in front his natural talent takes over

Postby Satch4

pasunegirafe wrote:I started watching more snooker because of Selby :shrug:

ditto. I hadn't watched snooker in ages until the 2014 wsc final. I was only going to tune in to watch Ronnie win title 6 after burying his opposition that year. I was impressed how he hung in there and took over the final with essentially just his b game.

Postby pasunegirafe

LowKey wrote:I've been watching the crucible religiously for donkeys years and I'm more excited by snooker than ever.

I really enjoy watching Selby play. It's interesting to see such a competitive mind and never say die player. He is a brilliant all round player. His 143 break was magic as were many of the shots he played in the tournament.

Some of the comments about his appearance are beyond strange. If you are watching snooker for eye candy then you have serious mental issue. Selby is an average looking bloke and isn't out of shape like many of them are. Nothing wrong with his smile either despite the abuse above and his haircut is smart enough. Christ, I don't care what they look like. I like women, not men. I watch it for the snooker. If you don't fancy Selby and that's why you don't like him then that's hilarious. He hasn't constantly disrespected the game and fans like O'Sullivan either and I find Selby and his game more entertaining than O'Sullivan's game has ever been.

The real snooker fans will really appreciate a player like Selby. The casuals just like constant potting, idiotic and cockiness and rebellious attitude
Involving disrespecting snooker and complaining about
Prize money and not going for 147s when they are on "coz the prize money ain't enough despite the fact I've made millions from this sport"

To provide some examples:

In cricket casuals will find test matches incredibly boring and six hitting entertaining . Purists will love test cricket and the tactical and mental battle. Plus skill.

Football purists will appreciate a side like Juventus going to the nou camp getting a 0-0 draw with a great defensive display. Casuals will call it negative and boring, casuals want goals goals goals.

In tennis liking a player that's flashy with no all round game is like loving Roddick and finding a player with a wonderful all round game and mental strength like federer boring. Selby has more personality than federer no doubt and Selby is more human in the sense he's easier to relate to for the average person. I always found federer to have practically zero personality but fans loved him because he's a nice guy with a great all round game which is fair enough . I can respect his game and competitive edge for sure (I don't watch tennis never really liked or watched it. Used it as an example)

Selby is only not liked because Ronnie O'Sullivan lost in 2014 to him and in other instances. Pathetic if you ask me. Proper snooker fans shouldn't particularly like Ronnie as he's massively disrespected the game and fans over and over. Selby is a worthy champion and miles clear on
Number one. He's a great competitor and I find him entertaining.

The final was by far the most interesting and entertaining game of the lot. Higgins is a brilliant player, as is Selby. Selby out potted him, but Higgins played better safety. I really enjoyed it. If someone beats Selby next year or In another big event I'll find it entertaining no doubt.. as to beat Selby (apart from best of not many's) means playing very well over a prolonged period and it will be entertaining.

I imagine Ronnie fans slagging of snooker and Selby.: death of snooker etc etc will now go back to supporting Chelsea , having supporting Manchester united no doubt for years when they dominated. All very funny indeed.

Eh... your tennis examples aren't very good, because I wouldn't say Roddick has a flashy game. I think players like Monfils and Kyrgios are considered more flashy because they often go for the odd shots, and like to engage the crowd.
And Federer has a lot of personality! I'll admit, I'm biased because I'm a big Federer fan, but he is defnitely not boring. He does have a very clean PR-image, but he has shown in interviews, on court, and with his tweets that he's pretty funny, gets the giggles when he hears a Spanish accent, and is a big dork. That's why we call him Dorkerer! :-)

Postby SnookerFan

The Herminator wrote:If i was to ask people in my office who Mark Selby is. I'd be surprised if more than 3 out of 25 would know who he is (bearing in mind there are quite a few women!) If it was Ronnie it would probably be around half I reckon. Not sure if thats a problem with Selby or snooker. Or even if its a problem at all. Its certainly not a problem for Selby. He's quite happy.

Yes, because no women watch snooker. :|