Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby GJ

Cloud Strife wrote:
GJ wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBBmJ22jiyE

Remember this celebration

go to the last min of the video

Where's the one where he screams 'AUSSIE POWER!!!'?

Hmmmm cant recall which match that was :irk:

Postby GJ

GJ wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
GJ wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBBmJ22jiyE

Remember this celebration

go to the last min of the video

Where's the one where he screams 'AUSSIE POWER!!!'?

Hmmmm cant recall which match that was :irk:

Heres ebo's one

:D :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIYcL3SaX_U

rofl

Postby PoolBoy

The most astonishing 'outburst' I've seen was from Peter Ebdon against Stephen Lee.
It even prompted its own news item on BBC. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/sports_talk/1306378.stm

Sadly, I can't find any footage of it - and the link in the article doesn't work!

Also, found this:

Ebdon’s dramatic 13-12 defeat of Lee in the second round of the 2001 World Championship culminated in a triumphant celebration akin to scenes from a documentary on Amazonian tribal dancing.

Lee, if it fair to say, was not impressed, not least because these celebrations began when he could still win with snookers.

The upshot was that Lee vowed not to play in the same England World Cup team as his compatriot unless an apology was forthcoming, which it wasn’t.

Postby pasunegirafe

GJ wrote:
pasunegirafe wrote:Yeah, sheesh. Some people here are acting like Selby dropkicked a baby yesterday, when all he did was celebrate a very tough win.

Let's be real, most people that don't like what he did, didn't like him in the first place; he can do more wrong than right in their eyes. That's pretty clear when something as small as him looking at his friends and family annoys them.
People, here's some advice: if these little things bother you, don't watch other sports like tennis. It will drive you crazy.
:roll:

Selby fans stick up for Selby , those who wanted Ding to win slate Selby its very predictable :spot on:

Yep, it's in the nature of things.
Once you've put yourself in one camp, it's hard to root for the other.

Postby GJ

PoolBoy wrote:The most astonishing 'outburst' I've seen was from Peter Ebdon against Stephen Lee.
It even prompted its own news item on BBC. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/sports_talk/1306378.stm

Sadly, I can't find any footage of it - and the link in the article doesn't work!

Also, found this:

Ebdon’s dramatic 13-12 defeat of Lee in the second round of the 2001 World Championship culminated in a triumphant celebration akin to scenes from a documentary on Amazonian tribal dancing.

Lee, if it fair to say, was not impressed, not least because these celebrations began when he could still win with snookers.

The upshot was that Lee vowed not to play in the same England World Cup team as his compatriot unless an apology was forthcoming, which it wasn’t.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrdCFvYIBCY

1 min 50 secs <laugh> rofl <ok>

Postby Ronnie79

Pink Ball wrote:
Wildey wrote:The problem here is you got 2 players that could do something nobody really expected

prior to 2014 people on here said Selby would never win the WC because hes too intense and the WC will drain him by the final and now he could win it 3 times in 4 years.

Ronnie OSullivan took 8 years to win it 3 times and John Higgins took 11 years

and then you got John Higgins possibly equaling Ronnie O'Sullivan haul of titles hes already reached the final the same amount of times as Ronnie..

yea people have their favorites and that's fine but lets not talk bullocks and look for stupid reasons not to like them so what he banged the table 50 times i can guarantee you i would and i bet you lot would too in a highly emotional state of mind.

Plenty players, plenty great players, have won matches in the way Selby did and didn't react like that. I don't think it's bullocks, I genuinely did not like his celebration. I'm not going to turn against him for it, but if I didn't like it I didn't like it and I won't change my opinion to suit other people.

Totally agree with pinkball on this

Postby Cloud Strife

GJ wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:The most astonishing 'outburst' I've seen was from Peter Ebdon against Stephen Lee.

Also, found this:

rofl

Ive been looking ages for this.

GJ :hatoff:

Postby Ronnie79

Scooper wrote:It's ironic that Selby-bashers always accuse him of being dull and personality-less, but when he gets interesting everyone goes nuts.. "No that's too much! Bring back the dull Selby!"

I was supporting Ding yesterday, but seriously, Selby's 'celebrations' were nothing to get worked up about. And too much looking at the box?! It's just looking for things to criticise him for.

So why are snooker pundits saying he shouldn't be looking up at his box it is annoying it's not like tennis

Postby pasunegirafe

onlyevertonjon wrote:I have no problem whatsoever with Selby looking up at his friends in the box. My problem is with the camera panning to family members of any player watching. I couldn't care less about their reactions.

For me, it's celebrities in the crowd, and Dennis giving shout-outs to them. DO. NOT. CARE.

Postby Souvent

GJ wrote:

Also, found this:

These summaries were so much better back then. And I miss the globe they had there to signal it was the "world" championship. The only thing better in today' coverage is having some commentary by Hendry and Doherty.

Postby GJ

pasunegirafe wrote:
onlyevertonjon wrote:I have no problem whatsoever with Selby looking up at his friends in the box. My problem is with the camera panning to family members of any player watching. I couldn't care less about their reactions.

For me, it's celebrities in the crowd, and Dennis giving shout-outs to them. DO. NOT. CARE.

Dennis is an idiot who adds nothing to the snooker coverage , sadly as a fellow member posted on another thread hes loved by the general public so we are stuck with him <doh>

Postby GJ

Souvent wrote:
GJ wrote:

Also, found this:

These summaries were so much better back then. And I miss the globe they had there to signal it was the "world" championship. The only thing better in today' coverage is having some commentary by Hendry and Doherty.

I loved the globes as well <cool>

Postby Cheshire Cat

I don't really like the comparing of players from different eras. Selby winning a 3rd World title in 4 years would be a fantastic achievement and he would thoroughly deserve it, but this era for me is certainly not as strong as the late 90s/early 2000s, which I ( personal opinion ) consider a golden era of talent and competitiveness.

Mark's game is perfect in the modern era, because he's everything that many modern players aren't. Nowadays there's a complete disrespect for the safety aspect of the game, tactical ineptness and players not willing to dig deep and scrap it out. There's ( for me ) too much emphasis on potting everything and scoring heavy.

The sky is the limit for Mark in this coming era, IMO. He is the standard that others should aspire to, it's not his problem if they aren't able to compete with him. I have high hopes for Kyren in the coming years, because he at least shows a very solid appreciation of the safety aspect of the game, which is a rarity amongst youth.

Postby GJ

Cheshire Cat wrote:I don't really like the comparing of players from different eras. Selby winning a 3rd World title in 4 years would be a fantastic achievement and he would thoroughly deserve it, but this era for me is certainly not as strong as the late 90s/early 2000s, which I ( personal opinion ) consider a golden era of talent and competitiveness.

Mark's game is perfect in the modern era, because he's everything that many modern players aren't. Nowadays there's a complete disrespect for the safety aspect of the game, tactical ineptness and players not willing to dig deep and scrap it out. There's ( for me ) too much emphasis on potting everything and scoring heavy.

The sky is the limit for Mark in this coming era, IMO. He is the standard that others should aspire to, it's not his problem if they aren't able to compete with him. I have high hopes for Kyren in the coming years, because he at least shows a very solid appreciation of the safety aspect of the game, which is a rarity amongst youth.

I agree on era's because Hendry himself said in the early 90's he had virtual byes to the 1 table set up <ok>

Postby Cloud Strife

GJ wrote:
Cheshire Cat wrote:I don't really like the comparing of players from different eras. Selby winning a 3rd World title in 4 years would be a fantastic achievement and he would thoroughly deserve it, but this era for me is certainly not as strong as the late 90s/early 2000s, which I ( personal opinion ) consider a golden era of talent and competitiveness.

I agree on era's because Hendry himself said in the early 90's he had virtual byes to the 1 table set up <ok>

Indeed.

Sometimes Hendo even got a bye in the semi and the final as well.

Postby GJ

Cloud Strife wrote:
GJ wrote:

Indeed.

Sometimes Hendo even got a bye in the semi and the final as well.

That hasn't happened since the early 90's , so it shows up what a weak time that was for snooker <ok>

Postby Chalk McHugh

Personnally,i dont like watching Selby looking up at his people in the crowd on such a regular basis.He's been at this quite a long time.I've never seen another player do it.What is the need for it anyway?Does he need Vicki's suppiet or sympathy after every bloody shot?
I like Selby but that is the one thing i dislike about him.

Cannot see him being beaten now but i hope John brings a high class performance as without it he could be in for a chastening experience.

Postby GJ

Chalk McHugh wrote:Personnally,i dont like watching Selby looking up at his people in the crowd on such a regular basis.He's been at this quite a long time.I've never seen another player do it.What is the need for it anyway?Does he need Vicki's suppiet or sympathy after every bloody shot?

Cannot see him being beaten now but i hope John brings a high class performance as without it he could be in for a chastening experience.

A factor some people have missed is that Higgins was clear fav in the quarters and semis so had that added pressure.

Hes seen as underdog by many for the final so I think he will play better.

I hope its a classic with John coming out on top.

Postby PoolBoy

GJ wrote:

Also, found this:

Thank you for finding that link GJ! :hatoff:
I'd given up ever seeing it again! :-)

Postby GJ

PoolBoy wrote:
GJ wrote:

Also, found this:

Thank you for finding that link GJ! :hatoff:
I'd given up ever seeing it again! :-)

No probs <ok>

Postby Chalk McHugh

GJ wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:Personnally,i dont like watching Selby looking up at his people in the crowd on such a regular basis.He's been at this quite a long time.I've never seen another player do it.What is the need for it anyway?Does he need Vicki's suppiet or sympathy after every bloody shot?

A factor some people have missed is that Higgins was clear fav in the quarters and semis so had that added pressure.

Whats your final prediction?I'm going 18-14 to Selby.

Postby mantorok

GJ wrote:

Also, found this:

Well done for finding this, not enough people have seen this, it is still the undisputed king of celebrations never to be beaten :-D

Postby GJ

Chalk McHugh wrote:
GJ wrote:

Whats your final prediction?I'm going 18-14 to Selby.

18-16 Higgins